News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy_Naccarato

Certainly one of the most dramatic!

Dennis_Harwood

Re:Spinel Slide--Is It The Best Par 3 In Southern California?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2004, 01:39:24 AM »
Nope, loses by a wide margin to the last par 3 at Porcupine Creek.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2004, 01:43:45 AM »
So Dennis, Where are the pics! :)

Actually, Since the transistion from Landmark to the new owners, they have placed a sign near the tee, "Voted Best Par 3 In Southern California."

I believe that voting was by our wonderful friends at Churm Publishing's Orange County/LA County/San Diego County Golf Magazine.

But it certainly, as is the entire Oak Quarry course very different then anything in Southern California.

Thomas_Brown

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2004, 02:25:52 AM »
That's one way to draw me out Tommy.
Not that this about me, but I hit it 5 feet and left the birdie putt short.
Why is the water in the canyon on the left of this pic. green ?
Most be some geologic mix?  It's spectacular.

It's one of the best, but I still prefer the par 3 holes on the Thomas courses in WLA(#4, #10, #11, #16).

The 2nd shot on the par 5 #8 at Oak Quarry is also spellbinding.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2004, 02:58:06 AM »
Tom, Are you sure your not talking about the 2nd shot into #4?

Hopefully David Kelly and Neal can add here that I did happen to say to them, "Quite obviously the voters haven't seen  Riviera #4, LAC #11 and Bel Air #10......."

Still, it is a dramatic golf hole, and I too wondered why the water was green this time compared to others.  I also want to mention that I have hit a shot off of that wall on the right there, and it ricocheted-off hit the big boudler laying right there in the fairway, ricocheting off of that and stopping instantly with the posibility of no backswing!

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2004, 08:06:01 AM »
It is even more dramatic standing on the tee than the picture would seem to indicate.  The bottom of the quarry must be a couple hundred feet deep and is nearly a vertical dropoff from the tee.  In addition the green has some contour and slope.  There are some awesome par 3's in Southern Cal., so it would be hard to be called  the best.  La Quinta Mountain has a couple of great ones.  Quail Ranch #2 and #6.  Lakeside #9.  Pelican Hill has 3 great ones on the back.  Torrey North  #6.  Palos Verdes has a couple of great ones--a short quirky Thomas gem that used to produce many great juniors.  There are enough to be worthy  of an inventory list.

Thomas_Brown

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2004, 10:53:07 AM »
#4 is a good one too - That reminded me of #7 at Rio Secco by Rees.

#8 is a somewhat questionable par 5 in its angles, but the second shot I had was from about 230 w/ the green looking like it was hanging just off the same rock in the par three pic from the west side of it.  It was an illusion - The rock was far behind it, but visually it was impressive.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back