News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Tom Doak Interview
« on: July 27, 2004, 02:54:01 PM »
Some interesting comments by Tom Doak about Sebonack, Cape Kidnappers, Barbougle Dunes, Jack Nicklaus, etc in this far reaching interview that's too long to post. You'll just have to read it:

www.michigangolf.com/departments/features/tom-doak-profile-615.htm
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Bill_McBride

Re:Tom Doak Interview
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2004, 03:35:35 PM »
That's an interesting interview, and good news about the Sebonack project to date.

I was most interested in the following comment, and hope if Tom sees this he will elaborate!

"I can look at an Alister MacKenzie golf course and tell you what kind of golfer he was just by looking."

A lot of the greens are wild to say the least.  Pasatiempo quite a few.  Valley Club not so many.  Cypress Point not so many but some are deceptively sloped (#4, #13).  Nothing deceptive about #9!  Moortown - is that the one with so many levels?

Tom, what kind of golfer do you think the Good Doctor was?

Jim Franklin

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2004, 05:23:29 PM »
I certainly hope his calling Julian Robertson "Roberts" is a misprint. I can only hope to see these courses when they are done. We have the RTJ trail in Alabama and the Tom Doak trail all over the globe. That's a pricey vacation!
Mr Hurricane

Mark Brown

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2004, 08:22:22 PM »
Tom,

Knowing you and Jack and your design styles, I can't imagine you working side by side on the Sebonack site without him deferring to you more often than not -- and that's not necessarily a knock on Jacl (although I like your natural style much better). It has more to do about with the links-type nature of the site and the courses nearby.

Has he ever built a rugged, unkempt course? He loves the manicured look and detailed greensites. He once told me that basically, he has about 30 or so holes in his head that he uses based on the circumstances. His style is calculated and championship golf has a major impact on the courses he designs.

He has built some great tournament-style courses, but can he let his hair down, allow the creative juices to flow
and truly let the natural features of the site be? And can he let the nuances of the natural site be the real star?

How are Pacific Dunes, Sand Hills and Friars Head both alike and different?

Every now and then I still recall the 3 or 4 days at Sand Hills with you Ben and Bill before it opened -- a lot of interesting conversations and a great time and opportunity for me. All the best.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back