News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Derek_L

The Future of Golf Course Architecture
« on: July 26, 2004, 12:24:23 AM »
After discovering an associate at a firm I hoped to possibly be employed by in the next year or so was let go due to a unrecovering economy, I am wondering what people on here think about the future of GCA and if there is a future in it for as young engineer or should I just give up th dream or goal?

It seems there would always be a demand of some kind but to what extent I don't know.

Tom_Doak

Re:The Future of Golf Course Architecture
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2004, 10:40:49 AM »
Derek:

There are way more jobs in golf course construction than in golf course designers' offices.  And, I'm convinced you would learn more about the business in the former role than in the latter, as far as being able to do it on your own.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2004, 10:51:19 AM »
Derek,

Tom is probably right, although, you can get slotted into construction if you aren't careful.  

Right now, I'm not hiring, but business is picking up again, and I hear similar things from other architects. Not to the late 1990's levels to be sure.

I asked the same question to Dick Nugent during my first week of work there in 1977.  You may recall, interest rates were high, America was in a Malaise, (or for the kinky, mayonaise!) and I figured I couldn't possibly stay busy in golf design for an entire career.  While I admit to having a few doubts again in the last few years, I recall what Dick said in response to my question:

"Golf's been going strong for over 400 years, its got some staying power!
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Bruce Katona

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2004, 05:43:39 PM »
Derek:  AS wondeful as the office job may sound,  get your boots dirty for a couple of years.  You'll thank yourself over and over again that you did.

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2004, 06:29:29 PM »
Tom, Jeff, & Bruce,
Can one find work in the construction side working under an architect, or is working for a construction firm the only way?
Aren't there a few architects in the business who do some construction with their own guys?

Thanks, Don

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2004, 09:33:23 PM »
Yeah, I agree. Construction is the way to learn. But, from experience, you better be ready to "live the life". Being away from home for extended periods of time, sleeping in places you might rather not sleep, and making less money than you'd like to make...

These are no means discouraging words, only reality... and, it'll probably take you a few more years than you'd like to become "Tom Doak"  ;D
jeffmingay.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back