News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brad Swanson

What courses would/should a "World Tour" contain?
« on: July 22, 2004, 01:13:13 PM »
From time to time you hear so-and-so big name golfer talk about forming a World Golf Tour.  Despite my doubts that it will ever happen, if it did its fun to think of where the tournaments might be played if it came to fruition.

What would your ideal course line-up be (considering a wide geographical distribution)?

How likely would such a tour entice clubs that don't currently host professional tournaments to decide to do so?

Would a broader exposure to courses in GBI (through TV broadcasting) potentially make the idiot Jim Rome wannabes realize that a course doesn't have to look like Augusta to be
good/fun?

Cheers,
Brad Swanson
« Last Edit: July 22, 2004, 04:34:01 PM by Brad Swanson »

John_Conley

Re:What courses would/should a "World Tour" contain?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2004, 04:18:01 PM »
Royal Melbourne or similarly great course in Oz.
Golden Pebble Beach.
Cape Breton Highlands.
Falsterbo.
Seven Bridges.

Open for suggestions in South America, Africa, and more.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2004, 04:18:29 PM by John_Conley »

JSlonis

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2004, 04:45:40 PM »
Brad,

While I appreciate the thought and context of your thread, my answer would be:

It would be in the best interest of everyone interested in golf architecture and the great courses that we love, to keep any professional tour as far away as from these beloved venues as possible.  I wouldn't want any more great courses to be changed just to accomodate the best players for a week.

Brad Swanson

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2004, 04:51:15 PM »
Jamie,
   That's a very interesting answer.  Would something like a "World Tour" feel the need to "Shinne-fy" every course they played, or could they possible just accept the courses as is for their tourneys, and not cling to the notion of protecting par.  

Has the R&A had to do much detrimental tinkering to host the British Open's?  If so, it (to me) doesn't seem to be anywhere near what he USGA has done.

Cheers,
Brad Swanson

JSlonis

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2004, 05:07:54 PM »
Brad,

I would love to see all the great venues be tested by the best players, but there would have to be an strict edict of...HANDS OFF!

The problem will always be that people are too concerned about PAR, they will see the scores these guys shoot at their beloved courses, and call for something to be done.  Unfortunately, the something to be done all too often involves making expensive architectural changes as opposed to the more inexpensive option of controlling the distance a golf ball can travel.

I saw an interview with Peter Dawson of the R & A a couple of days ago.  He was asked some questions regarding the setup of the "Open" courses.  His responses were very interesting and really reflected the different attitude and philosophy that the R & A has, as compared to what the USGA seems to have.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2004, 05:30:26 PM by JSlonis »

blasbe1

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2004, 10:03:41 PM »
From what I can tell (although I've not yet visited)
Cape Kidnappers should be on that World Tour list, both to represent NZ and b.c it looks just fantastic!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2004, 01:50:41 AM »
Jamie,

I agree with you totally.  Bringing the Tour around a good golf course is nothing but trouble.  Everybody gets goofy wondering what the players will shoot and what should be done to stop them.

Let the World Tour stick to the proven venues [Firestone, Torrey Pines, Wentworth, Loch Lomond] and leave the cool places untouched.

Tim Taylor

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2004, 07:31:30 AM »
You guys have got it all wrong. If there ever is such a thing as a World Tour, it will be dominated by the US Tour and Tim Finchem and the venues would be something like the following:

The Halliburton Championships at The TPC of America (probably somewhere in Texas)
The European Championships at The TPC of Europe, presented by Unilever
Samsung Match Play Championships at The TPC of Seoul

you get the idea...

TimT

tonyt

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2004, 06:49:13 PM »
You guys have got it all wrong. If there ever is such a thing as a World Tour, it will be dominated by the US Tour and Tim Finchem and the venues would be something like the following:

The Halliburton Championships at The TPC of America (probably somewhere in Texas)
The European Championships at The TPC of Europe, presented by Unilever
Samsung Match Play Championships at The TPC of Seoul

you get the idea...

TimT

Not quite. The WGC we already have are the current guise of the World Tour, in the name of getting the great golfers touring the planet, and they were all held last year in the US!!

Tom, I agree with you. But thankfully, I'd put it to you that many of the gems do actually have a hierarchy with the wisdom to say "let them come, let them play, let them score and let them go." I know of a few examples where the club would rather five players shoot 15 under or better than have their course tinkered with.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2004, 08:26:52 PM »
Brad:

It would be sensational if a new world tour would simply bypass that hot bed of architectural wonder otherwise named Florida and play the winter part of the calendar exlcusively in the Land Down Under and in New Zealand / Tasmania to boot.

The lone exception being the TPC at Sawgrass. ;D

I would also like to see the World Match Play Championship be resurrected to be more than an IMG operated benefit.

mark chalfant

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2004, 08:56:03 PM »
Metacomet
Newport
Sakonnet
Wannamoisett
Whitinsville

Hirono
Cape Kidnappers
Notts
Durban

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back