News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff_Brauer

Unequal Roughs?
« on: July 25, 2004, 11:51:42 AM »
I played an Art Hills course in southern Michigan twice this summer, while visiting Mom.  It's called the Legacy.  I really enjoyed the course, and in many ways, it shows an evolution of Art's thinking, including many old fashioned features, options, carry hazards, and so forth.

The second hole had two fairway bunkers on the right side - one a carry bunker and the other a pinch bunker just beyond the normal landing area.  I don't recall seeing this feature anywhere else.  The green has a front left bunker, so the preferred tee shot carries the first bunker, and must stay short of the second - combing line and distance accuracy for the perfect tee shot, which I liked.

What really caught my attention was the disparity of rough right and left of the fairway.

On the bunkered right side, tall native grasses border the fairway after just a few yards of cut rough, which caught me the first time I played.  The second time, I overcompensated way left  (The perfect guest, I leave very few divots on the fairways.....) and found 40 yards of short, eminently playable, bluegrass rough.  I had to come over a bunker to the narrow angle of the green, but decided to play to the front of the green and made par......

In essence there is the route of playing left for almost certain bogey, or good par, or playing right, which increases chances to attack the pin for birdie, but raising the possibility or bogey or worse from the bunkers or long grass.

Does the tendency to have equal width roughs on either side of the fairway negate strategy of the fairway bunkers?  

Similar deep rough on both sides would likely influence me play to the middle of the fairway - any advantage in going for the pin is quickly negated.  

Similar shallow roughs would leave the fairway bunkers as the sole question in determing line.  Ditto for native rough on the left, and mowed rough on the right.  That would make me more inclined to challege the bunkers, knowing the rough on that side would only gently punish, if missing the bunkers.  While that would enhance the temptation of the designed strategy, it also seems like it forces me to the bunkers too much.

However, it seemed to me that the option to play away from bunkers completely was enhanced even more by a wide, gentle rough away from the bunkers and preferred or advantageous angle to the pin, and thus creating perhaps the greatest dilemma.  Or, does it make it too easy to play safe?

All in all, I think Art got that one dead on, but it raises the question, why are roughs usually equal on both sides of the fariway?  And how many ways could unequal rough enhance strategy?

Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Joe Hancock

Re:Unequal Roughs?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2004, 12:58:54 PM »
Jeff,

I don't have any good examples, but I do think it's a fair observation in that unequal roughs are a rarity.

Would the key to this design element begin with routing and play corridor width? The line of charm doesn't have to be down the center line, as you discovered at The Legacy.

Not to derail the original question as it pertains to rough cut, but how often do you see the greens created in the center of the corridor as well? I know the 15th at Kingsley has this tiny green tucked way over to the right, crowding the trees and making it a risk just aiming at the green.

I'm going to go out looking at center lines with a different perspective tomorrow, and see if it might be the easy line of charm in most instances, or perhaps it's just an ingrained thought process that could be changed for the better.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

TEPaul

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2004, 02:11:38 PM »
Jeff:

I don't know whether I'd want to get into all the little details of all the strategic ramifications of the examples you gave on that hole in your initial post (eg--great golf architecture and strategy are not completely synonymous to me) but I think the fact that you're asking all those questions pertaining to that hole (or the various ramifications of what they might be) says basically the whole story.

By that I mean to me the best and most interesting holes and architecture is when choices are brought to a point of some degree of dilemma or lack of clarity of choice. The ways to go (strategies) are therefore generally in some form of equilibrium or balance, making decisions harder to make.

One of the greatest indicators of the beauty of the design of the 10th at Riviera is that tour pros seem to stand on that tee longer than most any other trying to figure out exactly which of a variety of choices they really do want to try!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2004, 02:13:36 PM by TEPaul »

RJ_Daley

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2004, 02:38:17 PM »
Jeff, very interesting description of interesting strategy you found at one of Art Hills' designs.  But, my first question is; was it Hills' intention to spec the roughs to be maintained in that unequal sides presentation?  Might it have been the super's or committees enhancements or inovations to add to what Hills gave them?

Embarrassingly, I have not been to Lawsonia this year.  However, I think that to some extent the super at Lawsonia has been mowing (or not mowing) roughs slightly unequally for these described strategic considerations of offering even more to think about on a bunkered or gull winged bunker side.  I noticed that on the more risk-reward favorable side of some he has a narrower intermediate cut, and deeper, less mowed over the year and less thinned by various practices, than the other safer side but has the more difficult approach to a green.  The way the rough grows in some areas due to irrigation drift and fert migration sort of has these same unequal rough consistencies at Wild Horse too.

So, as a GCA do you specify this sort of maintenance strategy, or is it a maintenance practice conceived by the turf manager that interfaces with the design?  I've heard the term maintenace meld someplace before.  Is it that? ;) ;D 8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2004, 02:54:56 PM »
RJ,

My impression of that area of the site was that it had been a farm field, thus, Art had to have designed the hole, graded it, and plant the grasses....One side was tall fescues, the other blue grasses, so it was a conscious decision.  If the right rough had been corn, then maybe.....

I think it is definitely within the perogative of the GCA to design these grassing lines, although, from time to time some field guy marks the lines if the GCA just can't get there, following the plans drawn.....The course is too new to have undergone any radical changes, unless perhaps the native grasses didn't take the first year, and the super made a field call to replant with something quicker to establish.

All is possible, but I think it was designed that way.  And, obviously, I am thinking that I need to do more thinking on uneven roughs for near future designs.

Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

TEPaul

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2004, 03:04:06 PM »
Jeff:

Do you think today's architects (or architects of any era) should strive to design and create architecture that makes choices and strategies obvious to golfers or do you think architects should design choices and strategies that work in various ways that are anything but obvious to the golfer?

It's kinda hard to do both at the same time!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back