News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rick Shefchik

Eau Claire Country Club
« on: July 26, 2004, 04:11:21 PM »
I didn't want to bring John Conley's "Best course you've never heard of" thread back to the top, because it got sidetracked by a discussion about an apparently fictitious course in Georgia. But I did want to repost some of the pictures and discuss the experience Dan Kelly and I had at Eau Claire Country Club this past Saturday.

First, a reposting of a few of the photos, starting with what used to be the 7th hole, and is now #11:

#6 (formerly #13), a really, really cool 135-yard par 3:

#7 (formerly #14), a bear of a 449-yard par 4:

And the home hole, the new #18, formerly #4 (picture a modern clubhouse on the top of the hill behind the green, rather than trees -- that's how it looks now):

In the earlier thread -- initiated in 2002 -- John raved about the course, which was designed by Tom Vardon and Charles H. Ramsdell in 1928. He also said the course was about to be rerouted and the clubhouse moved to the other end of the course. To quote John from that thread:

"Personally, I have no qualms with the changes that have been made or those just starting. However, some purists will no doubt object to them and clamor for a total restoration to the original Vardon design, even though I've never heard anyone singing the praises of Vardon like they may for Ross or Raynor."

Count me as a purist. I wish I had had a chance to play this course before the clubhouse was moved. We began our round on the old #6, which is now #10 (the first tee is at the bottom of hill from the clubhhouse, a full driver from the pro shop. As you look at the photo of the uphill #4 -- the current #18 -- the tee for the first hole would be behind you.)

I liked the course immediately, but I fell in love with it when we reached old clubhouse and saw what a perfect, spectacular opening hole they once had. Now it's hole #15, and a great deal of its impact has been muted, even though the hole itself is still terrific. Even more of its special, opening-hole character will be lost when the old clubhouse is torn down and an office complex rises in its place.

I was consistently impressed, and sometimes awed, by the flow of the course, the astute use of hills and valleys for tees and green sites and the minimal need for bunkers. I also agree with John that some of the holes have too many trees -- particularly the new 17 and 18, both of which make you feel you're steering your tee shot through a tunnel. But the tree issue is minor; the character of the original holes shines through. Tom Vardon's (and Ramsdell's) architectural skills have gone way up in my estimation. We were lucky to have him designing courses here in the upper Midwest. More people should know about his work.

To appreciate what great work he did, you need only contrast the original holes, and routing, to the awkward routing now in place, and the two holes that have been changed. There's a bland 205-yard par 3 grafted onto the back nine to replace the one that was located where the new clubhouse sits; and there's a new green at #4 -- the old one had to be dug up to make room for a pond that helps the club's new irrigation system. Again, this new green is nothing special and does not fit in with the character of the rest of the holes. We played with a club member who was very helpful in explaining all the changes to us, and though he said he and most of the members liked the new course layout, he admitted he wasn't in favor of the changes, and raved about how good the two replaced greens were.

As if to emphasize the point, the new 4th green is followed by the 135-yard 5th hole, maybe the best short par 3 I've played except for #7 at Pebble Beach or #17 at Sand Hills. Look at John's photo, taken from behind the green -- you don't get any of that sense of expansiveness as you face the hole from the tee. You see a nose of elevated green, with sides that fall away sharply. The hole plays a bit uphill and the green slopes from back to front, so it plays at least one club longer than the indicated yardage. It's a simple hole with no bunkers, yet the kind of ingenious design you just don't see anymore.

We've had a dry couple of weeks up here in the north country, and ECCC has allowed the greens to become very firm. I bounced high, faded seven irons off of two greens on the front nine, and finally learned that you had to play for the front of the greens and expect the ball to release.

Another note -- I was struck by the strong similarity to Pasatiempo on several holes, particularly #3, a long donwhill par 4 which reminded me very much of Pasatiempo #1 when I turned and looked back up the hill from behind the green.

Thank you, John Conley, for alerting me to this course. I hope to get back there soon. I second John's recommendation to anyone finding themselves in central or Western Wisconsin: play this course if you can. You won't be disappointed.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2004, 04:16:52 PM by Rick Shefchik »
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

John_Conley

ECG&CC
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2004, 04:15:09 PM »
Rick:

Glad you like it!  Did Mr. Kelly have as good of a time?

Also, picking nits... it is Eau Claire Golf & Country Club.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2004, 04:26:11 PM by John_Conley »

Brad Swanson

Re:Eau Claire Country Club
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2004, 04:38:22 PM »
Rick,
   Thanks for the write-up.  As a former Wisconsinite(?), I can appreciate your comments on the topography, as I've always though that Wisconsin had great terrain for golf.  I just wish I had more of an opportunity to play around the state when I was in grad school in Madison.  Its good to see coverage of the hidden gems in the Upper Midwest, and I'd like to see even more!

Cheers,
Brad Swanson  

John_Conley

Re:Eau Claire Country Club
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2004, 04:57:30 PM »
First off, Brad, there is no "former".  I've described my roots to others and told them Minnesotans are like Greeks, fiercely proud to be something nobody else would want.

And the proper term is "Cheesehead".  At least that's how Brad Soderberg addressed an autograph to my son this weekend after hearing both his grandparents are from the state.

Dan Kelly

Re:Eau Claire Golf & Country Club
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2004, 05:07:09 PM »
John --

I second virtually all of Rick's report. I liked it very, very much. Thanks
for making such of point of alerting us to look a ways east.

A few notes:

-- I'll say it more firmly than Rick did: The two new greens (No. 12 and No. 5) stick out
like sore thumbs. They're both vaguely boomerang-shaped and look absolutely NOTHING like the other 16 greens (variously round and oval), and they never will. It made me a little ill to hear our playing partner say
that the old green on the old No. 12, now No. 5, was a "bitch" -- as we walked over the lumpy ground where it once stood. (No. 5, by the way, was the only hole on the course that, from the tee, did not please my eye. FYI, John: They've taken the water hazard on that hole out of play on the second shot; the green is 30 or 40 yards left of where the old one was, and is not visible from the tee.)

What was the architect thinking? It's as if a section of the Sistine Chapel
ceiling came down in an earthquake -- and the guy hired to fix the damage worked
in the style of Picasso. Sheesh.

-- I loved the old routing -- beginning with a simple, straightaway par-4 down the hill directly away from the clubhouse, and ending with two mid-length uphill par-4s (the old 17, with a green that reminded Rick and me of Shinnecock No. 9; the old 18, with a pretty dramatically sloped front-up-to-back green that, as I can testify, will severely test the chipping skill of anyone overshooting it).

The new routing is awkward -- and would never have struck anyone as acceptable if most people didn't use carts.

No. 1 is WAY down a hill away from the clubhouse, WAY down there by the current No. 9 green. And where do you go after you hole out on 9? You walk WAY up that same hill and PAST the clubhouse. I have no doubt that, on occasion, a player who's had a poor front 9 has thought "Oh, the hell with it" and stopped at the clubhouse.

The new No. 18 (a big dogleg-right par-5 with a severely uphill blind third shot) is a fine hole -- but as Rick noted, it'd be a considerably more fun closing hole if it offered the option of getting there in 2.

-- -- Favorite tee shot of the day: the completely blind one over some very rumply ground at the long par-4 7th. People really don't build anything like that anymore -- at least on the courses I play.

I'll go back, for sure, if I'm still welcome.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2004, 05:09:59 PM by Dan Kelly »
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back