News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Marc Haring

Re:MOST DAUNTING SHORT PAR 4
« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2004, 03:33:11 AM »
To Brian Gracely and Mike Benham.

I was thinking about that 1st at Prestwick when I posted the pic of #4 at Irvine. Of course it's the same railway line. Goes past #11 at Troon before it gets to Prestwick.

ForkaB

« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2004, 07:57:53 AM »
My vote is for the 2nd at Dornoch.  Very good players can shoot anywhere from 1 to 11+ there (the latter without any penalty strokes).

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2004, 09:48:43 AM »
To Brian Gracely and Mike Benham.

I was thinking about that 1st at Prestwick when I posted the pic of #4 at Irvine. Of course it's the same railway line. Goes past #11 at Troon before it gets to Prestwick.

It also runs past #1, 17, 18 at Western Gailes (has a stop there and at Prestwick).  Is there another piece of transportation in the world that has views of better golf?

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2004, 10:06:33 AM »
I will add #7 at Sand Hills and #15 at Wild Horse to the list.

And, senior Huckaby, while I have not played Riveria you are free to read my signature as taken from Mr. Shackelford's "Grounds for Golf."

Steve Lapper

« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2004, 10:15:43 AM »
My vote is for the 2nd at Dornoch.  Very good players can shoot anywhere from 1 to 11+ there (the latter without any penalty strokes).

Touche'...perhaps the toughest second shot in golf!

Along the same vein, I'll nominate in the runner-up category, the 13th at Sand Hills...... ;)
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2004, 10:27:34 AM »
Along the same vein, I'll nominate in the runner-up category, the 13th at Sand Hills...... ;)

Good, now my 8 on that hole is only a double par!! Much better.  ;)

JNC Lyon

« Reply #56 on: July 24, 2004, 12:24:07 PM »
I think Oak Hill East has two of the most daunting short par fours anywhere. #12 might not be liked by many here because of the impact of the trees, but it is an excellent hole with a vicious green nonetheless. Four is always a good score here.

#14 might be even harder than 12 despite being the easiest driving hole on the course. The second shot is blind and straight uphill. The 20 yard deep two tiered green is fronted by deep bunkers and has a sharp falloff behind. Shaun Micheel made a double here in the second round of the PGA.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

michael j fay

« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2004, 04:33:13 PM »
Rich:

Number 2 at Dornoch is a par three.

ForkaB

« Reply #58 on: July 24, 2004, 04:34:43 PM »
michael

obviously you have not played there often enough.......... ;)

Mark_F

« Reply #59 on: July 26, 2004, 05:21:41 AM »
Richard Goodale,

If you classsify the 2nd at Dornoch as a par four, what on earth do you do about the 6th?  Play number 7 twice then write a 3 in at number six?

ForkaB

« Reply #60 on: July 26, 2004, 05:29:52 AM »
Mark

#6 is a par 4 too--even shorter than #2--but since it comes later in the round it doesn't have the same psychological impact.

And yet, vis a vis your specualtion about the 7th, one of my very good friends (if one can call one's father-in-law a "friend"........) once played #6 with a long time visitor who just walked forward after my friend (who had the honor) had hit, saying, in effect:

"I never play this hole, it's too hard."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back