News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

danielfaleman

Royal Portrush
« on: July 24, 2004, 05:00:56 AM »
Today and tomorrow on ABC: British Senior Open. Can't believe we can get a glimpse of this course. My grandfather played this course back in the mid-60s, mentioned that he cried with joy after his round. Really that good?

Jack_Marr

Re:Royal Portrush
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2004, 06:40:19 AM »
Ross McFarland, an on-course commentator for Sky and former professional, said that he is a big Colt fan, and this was the best Colt design he'd ever seen.
John Marr(inan)

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2004, 08:57:49 AM »
There was an earlier thread on Royal Portrush started just a day or two ago. Also, be aware that the Golf Channel is broadcasting the Irish Open from County Louth (Baltray) as well this weekend. Two great Irish links on TV - it will not get much better than that!

Travis Ripley

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2004, 03:43:53 PM »
i completely agree.  what a nice way to spend the afternoon, or two hours of it.  

it's amazing how many of the US players had never even played the course, by their own admission.  I played Turnberry about 4 days before last year's Senior Open Championship....and it means something over there.  also, selfishly, all the Rolex and Mastercard signs were up, the stands, and the scoreboards.  so, it felt pretty cool to rip one off the tee on 9.

didn't help me on 15, 16, and 17 though.

It's a crime the Open has been in Ireland only in 1951.  My dad has some Irish friends from his club and he's played all over Ireland--lucky bastard.    

« Last Edit: July 24, 2004, 03:45:21 PM by Clifton Lustre »

Gerry B

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2004, 11:26:30 PM »
Daniel:

Yes it is really that good! Ranked in the top 15  in the world by Golf magazine - enough said

TEPaul

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2004, 07:01:06 AM »
My goodness, Pete Oakley, who's known as a very steady little player--great course manager-- from my area is leading this tournament. That's something I sure wouldn't have expected. If he's leading at the end of today I'll be even more surprised! One may even consider him the senior version of Todd Hamilton!

David_Tepper

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2004, 01:13:30 PM »
Congrats to Peter Oakley for hanging in there and pulling off the victory, a MUCH bigger upset than Todd Hamilton winning the Open. I am sure Kite and and Romero are asking themselves, "Who was that guy?"

Eamon Lynch

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2004, 11:51:01 PM »
It's not just the American golfers who've not played Portrush. A few months ago Sam Torrance told me he had not been there either, which surprised me a little (not sure why - I just think a guy who has been a touring pro in Europe for 30+ years would have been there along the way). He was very much looking forward to it and I assume he enjoyed it since he logged a top ten this week.

TEPaul

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2004, 01:26:35 PM »
"Ross McFarland, an on-course commentator for Sky and former professional, said that he is a big Colt fan, and this was the best Colt design he'd ever seen."

Jack:

Obviously Ross McFarland hasn't been to Pine Valley---the #1 course in the world!  ;)

Jack_Marr

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2004, 01:31:07 PM »
Tom

He was there, but he couldn't get in... ;D
John Marr(inan)

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2004, 02:35:09 PM »
I really enjoyed watching the Senior Open at Portrush. I've played Pete Oakley's The Rookery in Rehoboth Beach, DE and, while not an architectural masterpiece, it was a good, solid mid-level course.

Here's an article about why Portrush won't return to The Open rota:

Golf: A Portrush open remains a pipedream

By Jack Magowan
jmagowan@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

26 July 2004
While the return of the Open Championship to Royal Portrush might once have been an exciting possibility, it's now highly unlikely.

Not because the famous Dunluce links would have to be lengthened and strengthened, in the opinion of top American golfer, Davis Love, but because of the sheer cost of setting up all that's essential to the success of a major championship; from parking space for 2,000 cars, to the installion of ten miles of underground television cable, to the expense of recruiting a thousand people to help run the event.

Only once has the Open been staged in Ireland - at Portrush in Max Faulkner's year for the title (1951). Since then, it has been to a preordained rota of eight seaside courses, the toughest of them Carnoustie, a short train ride from Dundee.

It will be back there three years from now after going to St Andrews next season, and then to the scene of Fred Daly's historic triumph for the first time in nearly 40 years, Royal Liverpool.

While television must be the Open's biggest source of revenue, crowds totalling 150,000 at Troon have also been worth a lot of money to the R&A, who can't be unaware of how much their income from the championship would be depleted if it ever left Scotland or England.

And for Portrush members, too, there could be serious disadvantages. Not only does housework for a 'major' usually begin two years in advance, the famous Dunluce course would be so intimidatingly tight for months beforehand that a 10-handicap golfer would have trouble breaking 100!

"Frankly, I shudder to think of the abuse our links would take during an event as big as this," comments one club spokesman.

"It will be Christmas before Troon has recovered from the punishment it suffered under the pounding feet of so many spectators."

Love, a 20-times winner on the US Tour, touched a sensitive nerve by suggesting that while Dunluce was a jewel among great links, only wind would save it from a cruel assault by the world's top players.

The American Ryder Cup ace felt that, at 6,850 yards, it was too short in places to host an Open.

"Not by much," says Ireland's No 1 golf architect, David Jones.

"Not if two of the existing par-five holes, the second and 10th, were called par-fours, and the total par was reduced to 70.

"All it would then take to make the course a formidable test is for the fifth, eighth and 15th holes to be stretched a bit, and the rough allowed to grow. How friendly would it be now, I wonder?"

Jones, who rates Dunluce as the fairest of all Britain's historic links - "the key to its popularity with overseas visitors" - was a guest recently of former club pro, Dai Stevenson.

"Dai's wife served dinner on table mats that intrigued everybody," says David.

"They are faded with age, but show a stream in front of the tenth hole. Think of what a majestic two-shot hole it would be if that stream was ever put back there!"

Mighty Carnoustie is the longest course on the Open rota at 7,360 yards, about 500 yards longer than Portrush, with Royal Lytham the shortest at 6,905 yards. Troon spanned 7,175 yards.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Matt_Ward

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2004, 08:22:55 PM »
Steve:

Nice post on the article -- but when I read about "letting the rough" grow even more I'm laughing because when I was there last September the fairways were already quite narrow on a number of holes and the ever present HAY was extremely deep and quite penal. In 50% of the cases you could only SW or PW out -- in the other 50% of the cases it meant a reload.

Frankly, I would like to see Dunluce host a BO but not if that meant a single lane highway type fairway with maddening and inane rough akin to what was done at Carnoustie in '99.

The Senior BO was quite enjoyable to watch and hats off to Pete for such a fantastic victory.

Yancey_Beamer

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2004, 08:06:27 PM »
I played there several weeks ago.The most astonishing fact is the contour of the dunes which changes constantly and truly only leaves the architect with a choice of which 18  holes out of 100 to choose.Only the 17th and the 18th are on flattish ground.Overall a most spectacular site.In addition,the view from the 5th green of the Giants Causeway really adds to the whole experience.

TEPaul

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2004, 12:18:33 PM »
Matt:

Listen Pal, you've been constantly harping on how narrow Dunluce's fairways are for about a year now and how missing them is way too penal. You ought to stop harping on that because it's probably just crap and you personalizing, again, your own one round there to the quality (or lack of it) of the architecture. I played teh courses a couple of times  in 2001 and the fairways didn't seem any narrower there than any other of the links courses we played including RCD that frankly was a bit more penal than Dunluce. Why don't you just get off this harping on the narrowness of the fairways of Duneluce and just admit you probably hit it too wild that day and paid the price for it?

This reminds me of the time you said on here the Dell hole wasn't very good because you hit what you thought was a perfect 9 iron to a far left pin, you got into the rough just left of the pin and you couldn't get up and down.

That has nothing to do with the architecture of the Dell hole and everything to do with the fact that you probably didn't hit that great a;

1. Shot from the tee
2. A recovery chip from just left of the pin
3. Or, a good putt for par!

;)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2004, 12:32:15 PM by TEPaul »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back