News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tony_Chapman

Re:What do you think of this hole?
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2004, 06:13:17 PM »
Tony,

You are a good sport 8)

As for the subject hole, I assume that is a bunker right of the tree that separates the oncoming fairway.  I say eliminate that bunker and blend the fairways together to give the option to paly away from trouble by going longer and right off the tee with the result being a dicey pitch to the green, depending on pin location.

Mike

Mike - Its funny. Some guys play the whole the way you suggest when the wind is really blowing, though it rarely blows in Nebraska.  ;) When its from the south (left to right), some will just take 3-wood or driver hit it in the adjacent fairway and then their pitch is dead into the wind and they can get it pretty close. Kind of fun to do it that way, IMHO.

My dad is currently on the green committe and I have mentioned making that one big fairway to him, with a smaller bunker to more towards the 13th green.  He justs laughs.

Here is a pic from that adjacent fairway.

Wayne_Freedman

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2004, 08:19:45 PM »
Better not to think, but to swing.
I don't do too well when thinking too much.
The more I think, the more times I swing.  
Analysis paralysis.
But, I, too, would say it looks somewhat artificial.
In terms of psychology, does it follow an easy hole or a difficult one?

Gerry B

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2004, 09:48:36 PM »
the 10th at the Belfry is a good example of the risk reward short par 4 that I assume the designer had in mind.-this hole is not bad but not in the same league IMHO.
Kudos for throwing in a short par 4 -not enough of them around these days.

The poster who suggested making it a long par 3 nailed it perfectly.

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2004, 10:42:33 AM »
In terms of psychology, does it follow an easy hole or a difficult one?

Wayne - I would say it follows an "average" par 3, with a big number a possibilty. Trees and hillside to the right, lake to the left.

The last three holes, are really good match play holes and they, unfortunately, rarely get played in a match. They do, however, make for good theatre at our amateur tournament. Its pretty easy to lose a 2 or 3 shot lead on the last three holes.

As far as the long par-3, as I said, it would be the seventh par-3 of the round. The third over 210 yards. I like it this way better.

Doug Siebert

« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2004, 11:58:57 PM »
Shivas,

I disagree with your reasoning on when to try to drive a par 4.  I don't think it is invalid at all to do it to increase your chance of a 3 (or hell, even a 4, as its hard to fail to get up and down in THREE from greenside unless you hit into a really nasty spot or just plain suck)  At least that's the case if you are like me, since I'm better from greenside rough and bunkers than I'd be even if I were allowed to drop the ball in the fairway at my perfect SW distance and ideal angle.

If this just had a low ditch surrounding it instead of a hazard, I'd go for it just about every time (the trees hanging out to the left would give me pause on a day when my hooks are acting up if they continue down to around the green, can't tell from the photo)  Playing over the right side of the fairway tree into the adjoining fairway sure looks tempting to me, a better option than trying to either tweak it in there between the cartpath (augh!) and the tree, or hitting PW off the tee or whatever is required to leave me far enough back to just hit over the stupid tree on my second shot.  I object to par 4s that require 5 irons off the tee, let alone one that could potentially require a PW!

Big thumbs down here, sorry Tony.
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2004, 09:11:11 AM »
Hey, wait a minute.  

Shorten the hole by 50 yards, eliminate the first patch of fairway and - voila! the 16th at Cypress Point Club ;)

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back