News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Robert Thompson

Rubenstein on Highlands Links
« on: July 03, 2004, 01:31:12 PM »
From today's Globe and Mail -- note the Golfclubatlas.com reference.

R

By LORNE RUBENSTEIN
From Saturday's Globe and Mail

Anybody who has played the Highlands Links here knows the course is a brilliant and even provocative design. Stanley Thompson, that wizard of an architect, designed the course in the Cape Breton Highlands National Park.

It was his masterpiece when it opened in 1941, and retains its reputation as a masterpiece in world golf.

That the course was even built in a coastal and mountain location so remote and imposing — elements that in part account for its enduring appeal — was improbable. That the rugged course maintains a lofty, if increasingly precarious, position on ScoreGolf Magazines rankings shows its power over panelists who visit there, yours truly included.

According to www.golfclubatlas.com, the site for golfers interested in course architecture, Thompson's course is a marvel, as the variety of settings without loss of continuity or character is unique in all of golf.

Up-and-coming Windsor-based designer Jeff Mingay's essay on the bunkerless 16th hole with its fairway full of humps and its raised, swirling green is alone worth studying. The Highlands Links is some creation, rousing start to rousing finish.

The course is so strong that ScoreGolf ranked it No. 1 in Canada in 2000, and second in 2002. The course will still be ranked high overall when the magazine publishes its new list later this month, although not as high as in 2002. It will also be named Canada's top public course.

The slide from first in 2000 to second in 2002 to a lesser position this year should concern course officials. They've used the rankings to promote the Highlands Links. Visitors inject millions of dollars into the province's economy. As much as advertising and promotion attract tourists, though, nothing is more valuable to golfers than word of mouth.

The word of mouth on the course has been good, but this could change.

Potential visitors care as much or more about course condition than design.

The Highlands Links condition is not what it should be. This could, inevitably, discourage visitors from returning or from encouraging friends to make the trek to the course, two hours by car from the nearest airport in Sydney.

Perhaps there's little that can be done about the course's condition, given that Parks Canada owns and runs it. Parks Canada isn't in the best shape financially, and the Highlands Links isn't its only institution that's suffering. Still, its maintenance budget is absurdly low for a course that should be viewed as a Canadian showpiece.

At some $350,000 annually, the maintenance budget is less than half of what it should be, and even that would be conservative. The spring was cold and wet, leading to unavoidable problems on some greens. But other issues aren't weather-dependent.

Tees and fairways were more like rough last Saturday, and needed mowing. The fairways were full of weeds and clover. Parks Canada officials must address the problems and reverse the deteriorating condition.

Nobody expects immaculate conditioning because this wouldn't be appropriate to the setting and type of golf, but it shouldn't become shabby. A long-term plan must make conditioning the top priority.

Additionally, programs that would clear enough trees to open more views to the mountains and sea and also properly restore Thompson's crafty bunkers should follow. Architect Graham Cooke's mid-1990s work improved the course, but more must be done. And soon.

Whatever its condition, the Highlands Links will remain a revelation because of its setting and design. Ken Donovan, a historian at the Parks Canada-owned Fortress of Louisbourg — the country's largest National Historic Site — and a professor in the faculty of history at the University College of Cape Breton, knows its unique features, from all perspectives.

Parks Canada, in fact, has seconded Donovan to research and present two papers whose objectives are to have Thompson designated as a person of National Historic Significance, and the Highlands Links as a National Historic course. These would be firsts for Canadian golf.

Donovan and his wife Barbara have generations of links to the area. They summer in a lovingly restored 1820s farmhouse near the course. One set of his great-grandparents lived on the 16th tee, and his grandparents lived near the 16th fairway. His other set of great-grandparents lived on what is now the 18th tee, and he caddied at the course starting when he was 10 years old.

Thompson and his masterpiece should be designated as proposed. Donovan has been interviewing people in Ingonish since 1970 and is analyzing hundreds of letters between Thompson and Parks Canada related to the architect's design work. His project is a worthy one.

Another project is also worthy: the project of making the Highlands Links the best it can be. Much was done in the mid-90s. Much remains to be done.

The majestic course calls for and deserves nothing less.

Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

George Pazin

Re:Rubenstein on Highlands Links
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2004, 01:48:28 PM »
Lorne is one of the few mainstream media writers that I really enjoy. His thoughts are usually very clear, his logic wonderful and his prose compelling.

Everyone should read his Feature Interview and A Season in Dornoch. He hasn't been on TGC as much lately that I've seen, and it's to theirs and their viewers' deteriment.

He was one of the few big time sports writers that didn't trash Shinnecock, the USGA or the US Open.

Thanks for posting the article, Robert.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2004, 01:49:12 PM by George Pazin »
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2004, 09:03:31 PM »
Thanks for the article.

Highlands Links could be Canada's Bethpage Black - a true gem that people overlook (-ed in Bethpage's case).

Highlands Links must be properly preserved and maintained.

Playing the Links was one of my golf highlights right up there with Pacific Dunes.  If you're anyware in the NE, I encourage you to visit, current condition notwithstanding.

Robert Thompson

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2004, 10:02:02 PM »
Actually, I think Highlands is more akin to Royal Dornoch -- a great course located in a hard to get to location. It is truly one of the great public courses in the world -- but the situation the course finds itself in is tough. I didn't find the conditions as bad as Lorne says they currently are when I visited last year, but I know things aren't great.

Hopefully something will happen to change this.

R.
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

Ben Cowan-Dewar

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2004, 01:47:23 PM »
Lorne was there this past weekend and I missed him by a few days. It sounded like his presentation included a fair bit of constructive criticism that hopefully will be taken to task.

I remain convinced that every course in Canada is below Highlands, even with its warts.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2004, 02:12:06 PM »
As Rob points out, Highlands Links is more like... Canada's Macrihanish! It's very remote. And, in that sense, quite different than Bethpage Black.

Lorne actually instigated the first rejuvenation of Highlands Links with several columns about the sad state of the course during the mid 1990s.

Following a government RFP, Graham Cooke and Associates were hired to work on the course. Hundreds of trees were felled; bunkers were reconstructed; and, a continuous cart path was installed, along with the course's first comprehensive watering system.

The golf course work received a lot of media attention. And, a newly formed consortium of Cape Breton golf courses worked very, very hard to successfully promote the island as a golf destination.

Voila! Highlands Links is back on the "radar screen".

As illustrated by Lorne's column though, maintaining the golf course is a challenge. Weather and soil conditions at Highlands Links are less than ideal. It gets very cold and windy at Cape Breton, and subsoil is basically rock covered with a thin layer of riverbed silt at many holes.

Most years, the course struggles coming out of winter. Damage can be extensive. In fact, it can take a few months before turf conditions are decent throughout the course. So golfers who visit in May and June, who aren't architecture aficiandos are generally disappointed.  

The bottom line is, the turf is never going to be great at Highlands Links. Inherent environmental conditions, and a very small maintenance budget simply won't allow for it. However, based on the observations of a few golfers who've played the course their entire lives, fairway irrigation should probably be abandoned for starters.

They installed the watering system partially in response to the opening of Tom McBroom's Bell Bay course, down the road at Baddeck. It was kind of a "keep up with the Jones" move, unfortunately. Golfers expect green grass. So, the powers-that-be at Highlands Links thought, if we're going to attract golfing tourists, we better turn the course green.

A mistake, according to those lifelong Highlands Links golfers who tell me in the old days, before the watering system, turf conditions were much better. And, there was far less Poa annua (and other weeds), which don't winter very well, in the fairways.  

Despite less than uniform conditions, it's very clear to those who simply appreciate Thompson's brilliant routing, that Highlands Links is one of the top-3 golf courses in Canada, if not the best. We hear it all the time these days, but Thompson truly utilized the natural landscape at Ingonish to great effect. His routing of holes is so good it overshadows a number of difficiencies:

-poor turf conditions;
-an overabundance of trees, still;
-perfectly edged bunkers that don't resemble the Thompson originals, as per historic photos;
-awkwardly routed cart paths that are intrusive, and aesthetically unpleasant; and,
-generally soft conditions through the green resulting from over-watering simply to keep the grass green.

Parks Canada should really look into leasing the course to a golf course management company. Parks Canada just doesn't have the resources to properly care for Highlands Links.
jeffmingay.com

Dan Herrmann

Re: Rubenstein on Highlands Links
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 10:58:05 AM »
How is the conditioning of Highlands Links these days?

I was thinking of a drive up this summer, but a 15 hour drive almost demands decent conditions :)

Gary Slatter

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 11:09:07 AM »
thanks Robert, I enjoy Lorne's writing and passion, and I adore Highland Links.  Hopefully the condition last weekend has something to do with the time of the year, I think many courses have only recently opened.  Carolyn and I spent a week playing HL in 2001, still trying to get back!
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 12:04:03 PM »
Dan,

I haven't been to Highlands Links since last fall, when conditions were disappointing, unfortunately. (I'll likely get back there some time in June). However, they've FINALLY cut a ton of trees recently. This is a good first step toward improving turf conditions.

Very promising developments on the horizon, as long as some monies can be allotted toward continued improvement.
jeffmingay.com

Dick Kirkpatrick

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 07:46:58 PM »
Robert:
Thanks for putting this subject up for discussion.

Lorne has written a wonderful and sadly, truthful article about Highland Links.

In my opinion, it will take someone with his noteriety and influence to sway the Federal Government of Canada into doing something to uphold the reputation of HL.

It is embarassing to ackowledge that the budget provided by our Federal Government to Parks Canada for the annual budget to maintain HL is a mere $350,000.

This is a golf course that every golfer, no matter what his handicap, should see. I never tire of walking it, every time I do I find another link to the genious of Stanley Thompson.

I walked it with Robbie Robinson back in the mid 60's, and we spent most of the day looking for the places where ST found the fill to put over the rocks and to raise the greens. These locations (borrow pits)can still be found off of the playing corridors.
Many of the humpty dumpty fairways are nothing but large boulders which they could not move, so they covered them with some fill and grassed them over. The spine back first fairway is a good example.

Jeff makes some really good examples regarding the growing conditions, more simply put, imagine spring not arriving until mid June, and fall arriving in mid August. A very short season for establishing turt as we know it.

I could not agree more that the irrigation system was a step in the wrong direction.

Perhaps Lorne could lead us as a group to convince our government to "pay attention" to some of our National treasures.

Ben Cowan-Dewar

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2009, 08:17:43 PM »
It is worth noting that this post, referencing Lorne's article was from 2004.

Adam_F_Collins

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2009, 08:25:07 PM »
Clearly more attention needs to come to Highlands.

It is a wonderful place, and it needs a public focus to preserve it. In some ways, I think that a lack of resources has been a good thing. I know it sounds strange, but the understated nature of the facilities there is something I very much like about the place. I like the absence of a huge clubhouse and big proshop and all that all-too-common, overblown, oversized, overpriced "golf industry" stuff that has become the mainstay of so many places.

The only reason to be there is the land and the course itself, and I love that remote, rough-around-the-edges quality. So in that sense, I hope they continue to save money.

The turf, tree removal, and upkeep of the course itself is another story entirely - that needs some attention - and a lot more money.

I have heard of Mr. Donovan around here in Halifax as well. I was told to contact him regarding the history of golf in the region when I was talking about the idea of doing a club history of Brightwood in Dartmouth. I had also heard of the effort to officially designate Thompson as a Canadian of historical significance. I hope that effort is successful as well.

Chris Parker

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2009, 09:07:29 PM »
I had also heard of the effort to officially designate Thompson as a Canadian of historical significance. I hope that effort is successful as well.

Adam,

The effort by Dr. Ken Donovan and Mark Sajatovich of Parks Canada to have Stanley Thompson named a person of national historical significance was indeed successful!

Here is a link to the press release http://www.pc.gc.ca/apps/cp-nr/release_e.asp?id=1026&andor1=nr, as well as a link to the Parks Canada biography of Thompson...http://www.pc.gc.ca/apps/cp-nr/release_e.asp?bgid=857&andor1=bg

Chris Parker
"Undulation is the soul of golf." - H.N. Wethered

Adam_F_Collins

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2009, 12:47:59 PM »
This is good to hear, Chris. I didn't know that, as I have been out of the 'golf loop' for a couple of years.

It would seem that this designation should provide much better footing for the justification and allocation of increased funding. I hope it does.

A

Bruce_Dixon

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2009, 01:49:43 PM »
I believe Ian Andrew was hired to do some work at Highlands.  Maybe he will chime in to provide an update.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2009, 09:30:02 PM »
Bruce,

An Update:

The clearing has already begun with half a dozen green sites cleared last fall.
The Park was already committed to more clearing this fall.

Whats New:

There is really good chance that ALL the trees work will be done - starting this fall. This means that we would return the original ocean views, the views of the mountains, restore the dunes on the 4th hole, return most of the original playing corridors and open the greens and tees to sunlight. It's not a sure thing yet - but there's a better than average chance this will happen.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2009, 07:54:08 AM »
Ian,
Great news about one of my all-time favorite golf courses.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 11:06:17 AM by Dan Herrmann »

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2009, 08:02:09 AM »
Been wanting to get up to Highland Links but waiting for Cabot Links to open.  Any word on where things are?

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2009, 08:13:27 AM »
Further to Ian's note, I think he'd agree that one of the most dramatic opportunities at Highlands Links is restoration of the dunes and ocean views adjacent to the short par-4 fourth hole. I look forward to this. In fact, tree removal planned for holes 1-6 will restore a seaside look and feel where trees and overgrowth kinda tricks golfers into thinking they're not by the ocean, currently!

The opening stretch at Highlands Links is definitely seaside... tree removal in order to restore this seaside look and feel is essential. Ian's got it all on paper, thankfully! Now all the powers-that-be need to do is follow through.
jeffmingay.com

Adam_F_Collins

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2009, 08:24:23 AM »
This all sounds wonderful. Great to hear that there's action happening. And I would love to play the course with those seaside holes opened up. I imagine that it would have an enormous impact - and perhaps bring even more attention to bear on the course.

I wish you all the best, Ian.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2009, 11:08:08 AM »
Does anybody know of any pictures from HL's early days showing the views?

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2009, 11:37:50 AM »
Here's a historic image of the par-4 second hole, Dan.

The trees on the right have grown to the point where ocean views are non-existent from this fairway. There's a wall of evergreen trees behind the green now, too. The long view, behind the green, shown in his photo is strikingly awesome.

The third green can be seen in this photo as well (centre-right, with the evergreen backdrop, in the distance). You can't see the third green from the second fairway currently, either.

(I'm sure Ian has more photos.)

jeffmingay.com

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2009, 12:38:52 PM »
Jeff - Thanks!  That's a fantastic example!

Greg McMullin

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2009, 01:26:19 PM »
Here is a 2007 photo of number 2 at Cape Breton Highlands Links showing the tree issue clearly.

Here are a few old pictures from the early 40's. First one is number 11 looking back from the green and the second one is number 6 from the same timeframe. The last picture is number 6 from 2007.

Greg McMullin

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2009, 01:43:38 PM »
The following is taken from Ian Andrews blog on the weirgolfdesign.com site where Ian is blogging on a regular basis. Dated June 30, 2009. Following Ian's notes is a picture of the green and bunker at number 13 showing the original Thompson bunker. This picture is taken from the 1965 Shell Wonderful World of Golf match at Cape Breton Highlands Links. The hole is called "Laird" (Gaelic for Landowner) and the bunker represents the face of a landowner.

........... I left Tuesday night to get to Cape Breton – but through a series of events and a plane cancellation – ended up at Highlands Links at 4:00pm on Wednesday following a 5 hour taxi ride. Funny enough I never get mad about this – when you travel a lot – you expect this occasionally. Instead of working right away - I simply went out and played Wednesday night to unwind. It’s always great to play Highlands Links – all Canadian golfers should!

The next two days involved me thrashing through the bush – marking out all the remaining clearing for the golf course. The clearing work will be done over the next two years – beginning on the 1st hole and heading out as far as they can this year. That means the ocean views on the opening five holes should be restored by this winter! This will be the most significant improvement we could make to the experience.

The clearing - so far - is quite dramatic. The view into Ben Franey from the 9th fairway is stunning. I must admit – it was such a major change that I wondered if people would be upset – but everyone who has seen it has told me that they love the new view - and the green has grass! The most stunning thing about the trip was the greens. They were in terrible shape last fall – and they have almost fully recovered. The greens are in great shape and this should be excellent in just a few more weeks – this is the year to head out to Cape Breton Highlands Links.

While I was there I probed every green with Clifford – many areas had already been recaptured – and we located the remaining areas to recover. As of today – all the greens are back to their original extents – since Clifford has already begun to cut the remaining areas. The highlights are the restoration of the left side of the green at the 5th and the back shelf on the 17th which are both fully in play again.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back