News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ben Sims

Golf Architecture by Colin Powell: Lesson TWO
« on: July 01, 2011, 07:12:19 PM »
This is an 18-lesson series designed to promote discussion amongst golf architecture fans.  The use of Gen (ret.) Colin Powell's Leadership Primer is used only for this discussion and not profit or personal gain

With Lesson One on the wain, we'll move on to Lesson Two.  In Lesson One I was surprised at how many folks didn't tout the fence-rider aspect of being pragmatic.  As much as I believe that getting people to like you is secondary to production, lighting fires under people isn't always conducive to quality work either.  Wisdom and serenity go a long way in influencing both subordinates and superiors.

With that...(and I want developers and clients in the golf business to chime in here as well)

Lesson Two

The day soldiers stop bringing you their problems is the day you have stopped leading them. They have either lost confidence that you can help them or concluded that you do not care. Either case is a failure of leadership.

If this were a litmus test, the majority of CEO's would fail. One, they build so many barriers to upward communication that the very idea of someone lower in the hierarchy looking up to the leader for help is ludicrous. Two, the corporate culture they foster often defines asking for help as weakness or failure, so people cover up their gaps, and the organization suffers accordingly. Real leaders make themselves accessible and available. They show concern for the efforts and challenges faced by underlings-even as they demand high standards. Accordingly, they are more likely to create an environment where problem analysis replaces blame.

Please discuss in the context of golf architecture, construction, maintenance and yes, even managing a golf club/course.  

Phil McDade

Re: Golf Architecture by Colin Powell: Lesson TWO
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 07:26:52 PM »
Ben:

Oakmont's bold and somewhat radical tree-removal project comes to mind. For those who know, how did that occur? I've heard it may initially have been a somewhat guerrilla operation, as opposed to a club president or green committee chair signing off. But at such a well-established and well-run club, someone at the top surely had to sign off on it.

Brian Ross

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 08:37:52 PM »
I can relate to this as I have experienced both sides of the spectrum during my time in the golf industry.  First, the bad...

As an assistant professional at a resort course in Myrtle Beach for two years, the director of golf at the facility was a walking example of how NOT to lead.  I can honestly say that I have never met another person that was disliked by every single employee under his reign.  I would describe him as a "do as I say, not as I do" leader.  Showing up late, locked in his office all day, seemingly bored with his job...just depressing to work for.  In two years, I never once saw him behind the counter to check in a group of golfers.  The other two assistants and I were in charge of everything...scheduling, merchandising, the overall "operations" of the facility...everything. 

Now, one might say, "that doesn't sound so bad, it sounds like he felt comfortable letting you three run the show."  To a degree, that is true, but we really felt no connection to our boss.  It was the type of situation where, as Ben mentions, neither I nor the other two assistants would bother going to him with any type of question or concern because we had no confidence that he would, or could, help, or worse would make a bigger deal out of it than necessary.  As a result of all of this, there was no "drive" in any of the employees and that's sad because we actually had a good staff in my opinion.  It was a stagnant situation with no opportunity for advancement and was one of the main factors in me leaving the golf course operations field. 

Now for the opposite...This summer, I am working for a golf course construction company on the renovation of a Fazio course in South Carolina.  We are rebuilding all of the greens and bunkers, adding some tee boxes, and a few other small adjustments.  As a newbie in the golf course construction field, I really didn't have a preconceived notion of what the project would be like coming into this and was even a bit unsure of my what my role would be.  The majority of our help on this project is hired labor so I was pretty much immediately thrust into somewhat of a leadership role.  However, unlike my previous example, this has not been a situation where I wouldn't bother asking for help because I have a boss who enjoys his job, who makes himself available, and who leads by example.  While I haven't been given a lot of free reign on the creative side (it's a pretty cut and dry project), I have been allowed the opportunity to make decisions on the process, and have done so at will because I'm not afraid of making mistakes, and also because I have a boss who is receptive to questions and doesn't mind getting a little dirty to show me (or others) the right way to do something, instead of just telling us what we should be doing.  Quite the change from before and a much more comfortable situation when you don't dread the sight of your boss pulling up!
Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in.

http://www.rossgolfarchitects.com

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 09:41:14 PM »
deleted

« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 10:31:53 PM by PPallotta »

Ben Sims

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 06:30:21 PM »
Brian,

Your first story fits into a Laissez Faire style of leader.  Some say that being a "hands-off" leader is conducive to creativity and freedom.  I say fiddlesticks.  Being a Transformational leader is what is needed on a golf course.  Idealized influence or inspirational motivation in regards to willingness to listen, being on the job, constantly learning, these are the traits that a "bottom up" leader and manager must practice to motivate success intrinsically.  

So much of today's leaders and managers try to motivate using fear.  Fear motivates people to meet the minimum or status quo.  Being truly transformational as a leader--and in this example hearing problems--is the key to motivating creativity, autonomy, and above par work.    

Brian Ross

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 06:55:27 PM »
Ben,

I couldn't agree more!
Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in.

http://www.rossgolfarchitects.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back