News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us.

Mike Hendren

Re:MPCC Shore Opening.....
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2004, 11:11:12 AM »
Mike

...we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance; and perseverance, character, and character, hope.  Now hope does not disappoint us.....

-Romans 5:3-5a

The fact that you have completed such a masterpiece in such a time of personal turmoil speaks volumes about your character.  

Kindest regards,

Mike Hendren
Nashville, TN  
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

George Pazin

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2004, 11:55:29 AM »
Congratulations on the opening.

Mike Strantz actually brought me to this DG, in a way. I played Tobacco Road shortly after it opened in 99 and loved it. I came home and did an internet search on Mike and was directed to his interesting Feature Interview on this site. I read the other Interviews with guys whose books I had just read - Shackelford, Doak, etc. - found the DG a few days later, and life as I knew it had changed. :)

So thanks for your work and thanks for having such an impact on my life!
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Michael Dugger

« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2004, 12:28:34 PM »
Many of my golfing companions had never heard of Tom Doak previous to Pacific Dunes being unveiled.

It brings a smile to my face knowing that I have added the names of Doak, C & C and Devries to their golf course vernacular.  

However, my one buddy swears that I don't get any more excited then I do when talking about Mike Strantz.

I've never played one of his golf courses in my life.  I've never met the guy, I've never met anyone who has met him.

I wonder if his work will ever host a major championship......or get run as a top 100 course?  

Nevertheless, from what images I have seen, from what other people have said about him, his methods, his golf courses, Mike Strantz's portfolio is refreshing, unique and captures the imagination.

In an era in which the big names dominate the industry, I think those people who look past what is being shoved in their face via the latest edition of Links magazine, understand that Mike Strantz is one of the most talented, visionary and creative designers of our time.  

Get well, Mike, golf course architecture needs you!!!  
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2004, 04:12:21 PM »
Mike Strantz;

Several years ago on this website I wrote about how your designs that I had played (Caledonia, True Blue, Stonehouse) were a throwback to classic design while being fresh, modern, and innovative in their own right.  I'm glad that others here have had similarly positive impressions of your work.

I've always been impressed with your personal, hands-on approach, as well, and I know you strive to get the details right in the dirt.  

Mr. Huntley is very excited about your work on the Shore Course and that is testament enough to me about what you've produced there.  If I'm fortunate, perhaps I'll see it in person someday.

The fact that you have been undergoing serious health issues makes me marvel at your determination and inner strength.  May God bless you and yours.

Sincerely;
Mike Cirba

Mike Benham

« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2004, 04:30:48 PM »
Mike Strantz,

Although I have yet to see or play one of your designs, I have heard from many who have, all with the greatest of compliments.

The members of MPCC are fortunate to have selected you and your Maverick team for the Shore course and we all look forward to seeing the completed project.

Best wishes,

Mike
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2004, 11:48:49 PM »
Dear Mr. Stranz,
I have loved seeing, playing and learning from your fantastic creations.
I hope to see, play and learn from many, many more.
Congratulations on MPCC.
Mike Nuzzo
Golf Course Designer
Houston, TX
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Thomas_Brown

« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2004, 12:29:14 AM »
Congratulations!
I had the pleasure of sneaking a peek during construction of holes along 17 mile drive last summer.

Tom Brown
Los Angeles, CA

Doug Wright

« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2004, 12:24:23 AM »
Mike,

Congratulations on your latest achievement and best wishes in the future.

All The Best,

Doug Wright
Denver, CO
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Robert Thompson

« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2004, 11:13:26 AM »
Hey all -- This past week I spoke at some length with Mike's wife, Heidi, for a story I'm doing on him. Since Mr. Whitten's article, Mike did indeed undergo the surgery he was trying to avoid. They removed almost all of his tongue and a lot of his jaw, apparently getting all the cancer in the process. Plastic surgeons worked to help reconstruct his tongue and jaw and the surgery was a tremendous success, Heidi said. In fact, Mike was hardly slowed by the surgery, she added. My piece on this will be on PGATOur.com this week -- not a plug for it, just thought some would like to know how he's doing.
Speaking is difficult for him and solid foods are out, but the hope is that he'll return to work next year, though it might even be sooner than that.
It is a very inspirational story - I've always enjoyed his vision of golf and enjoyed speaking with Mike about it. Sounds like MPCC might be his crowning accomplishment -- let's hope so.

Robert
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

ed_getka

« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2004, 06:11:50 PM »
Mike Strantz,
  Congratulations on your creation at MPCC. What I have seen from the road looks to flow through the terrain really well. I look forward to seeing it all in person this summer.
   My prayers are with you to have a return to good health.

Sincerely,
                                                    Ed Getka
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

George Pazin

« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2004, 01:54:38 PM »
Thanks for sharing your story, Robert - it is indeed inspirational.

Good luck to everyone tomorrow - enjoy the day to the fullest.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2004, 03:37:01 PM »
Mike,

Congratulations on the completion of your project at MPCC. I'm so glad the left coast now has an opportunity to experience the beauty of your work.

Now that you've finished in California, come home to South Carolina and build us a course in the Upstate!

Michael Whitaker
Greenville, SC
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back