News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

peter_p

Alderwood (NLE) article
« on: June 02, 2004, 01:59:04 AM »
This article appears in the June 2004 issue of Pacific Northwest Golfer, the house paper of the PNGA. It is not yet updated to their website. It includes a map of the course, which I'm unable to reproduce. Article by Paul Ramsdell, PNGA Media.

"Renowned Northwest golf course architect Arthur Vernon Macan regarded it as his best design. It played host to the US Amateur Championship, won by Johnny Goodman, the last amateut to win the US Open. Three Oregon Amateurs have been played there, two PNGA Amateurs. Today it no longer exists, buried 50 years ago underneath concrete at Portland International Airport.
      The story of Alderwood Country Club is just one of many hundreds of stories that go along with the many hundreds of lost golf courses in the Northwest. The number of lost courses in the Northwest numbers more than 200 as determined by the research painstakingly and lovingly done by Michael Riste, the PNGA's official historian and one of the founders of the British Columbia Golf Museum in Vancouver.
      "We'll never know how many were actually built until we've read every local newspaper, and that hasn't happened yet," said Riske. That's how Riske uncovers most of the lost courses, by checking old newspaper accounts in towns across the Northwest.
      For Alderwood, though, extensive research wasn't needed for it's discovery because it was such a prominent course in its short life.
     Macan, out of Victoria, BC, built some of the finest courses in the Northwest and along the Pacific Coast, including the California Golf Club in San Francisco, Columbia Edgewater, Fircrest, Inglewood, Royal Colwood, Marine Drive and Hillcrest to name only a few.
     While trying to sell himself for any new job, however, Macan would use Alderwood as the best example of his work.
"He always used it at the top of the list as the course he would be best known by when he was bidding on a job," Riste said.
     The course was conceived in November of 1923. When the site with 1,000 foot of frontage on the Columbia RIver, just west of Lemon and Government Islands, was chosen, interest grew. After a little more than a month into the planning, 200 members had signed up. By January 1924, 315 members wanted to be part of the action.
      Macan has this to say in the local paper, about the 168-acre site at Alderwood, "the waterways and canals lend a sporting touch," he said, adding that the sandy loam soil was perfect for a golf course.
     "The little bit that I've talked to people about Alderwood they always say the greens were incredible", Riste said, echoing a common tribute to Macan courses.
    The course opened in July of 1925 and was soon the site of the Oregon Amateur in 1929. The biggest tribute, though, came a few years later when it was selected to hold the first US Amateur in the Northwest in 1937.
    For the US Amateur, Aldwerwood played at 6,601 yards as a par-72, and the layout impressed Joseph C Dey, the executive secretary of the USGA. "I like the course very much" Dey told a local newspaper. "Of course, there are not many bunkers on this course as on some Eastern courses, but the natural hazards make up for the absence of the traps. The contour of the ground makes it an interesting course to play."
    And a difficult one as well. Francis Ouimet could manage just an 85 in qualifying and quicklt withdrew. Californian Roger Kelly was the medalist with a 2-under 142, but he was promptly beaten in the first round of match play as famed sportswriter Grantland Rice was there to capture the festivities for the week.
     Goodman, who won the US Open in 1933, took top honors at the US Amateur in 1937. He did it with a dramatic 1-up victory in the semifinals over the Northwest favorite Bud Ward of Olympia. In the final, Goodman beat Ray Billows of New York 2-up.
    Not even Goodman could conquer the 449-yard par-4 second hole at Alderwood. There was just one birdie on the hole all week, and the hole was later included in a national sport's magazine's All-American golf course, and was the only hole west of the Mississippi mentioned.
    The best players aalways seemed to rise to the top at Alderwood. That happened in the 1932 PNGA when H. Chandler Egan won. Bruce Cudd won the 1953 Oregon Amateur shortly before the course was abandoned for the expanding airport.
    From his research, Riste said he wouldn't be suprised if the Northwest has more lost courses than other regions. Riste tells an amazing story of Samuel Hill, a railroad man and entrepenuer.
     "He also had one other incredible vision. He started the Pacific Coast Automobile Association, started it in 1920. His vusion was this, to build a paved road from San Diego to Fairbanks, Alaska, and to have a golf course a one day drive apart. Well, when you study these lost courses in BC, Washington and Oregon, and you follow (I-5)...he was pretty darn successful. There are more kost courses along that roadway than you can think of."
    Now lost courses are under houses, malls, schools, even Husky Stadium (Seattle). "It was a matter of economics, the land just got too valuable,? Riste said. Memories of some of these lost courses are too valuable to ever forget.

End article.

Today's Oregonian reports the Hillsboro Elks are selling Orenco, a nine hole course for $15 million for a housing development. They bought the course in 1969 for $3 million.

Here is the card for Alderwood.
Hole Yards Par  Hole Yards Par
1      501    5    10     380   4
2      449    4    11     182   3
3      125    3    12     449   4
4      510    5    13     389   4
5      387    4    14     169   3
6      559    5    15     510   5
7      351    4    16     207   3
8      312    4    17     401   4
9      159    3    18     561   5
      3353   37          3248  35

A slough was crossed on seven holes and sided three others.
The Columbia River was not in play. The mentioned second hole was a dogleg left crossing the slough which then was a lateral hazard on the left. The corner of the dogleg appears to be 200-219. The 559 sixth was a 90 degree dogler right, OB right the entire length, with the dogleg again at about 200 yards.  

Dan Herrmann

Re: Alderwood (NLE) article
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 06:20:05 PM »
FYI - the USGA museum has a beautiful reproduction poster for sale featuring Alderwood.  It's from the US Amateur.  Features an illustration of a golfer hitting toward Mt Hood.

It looks great framed.  Ever since I visited Tom Paul's barn, I've been suffering from "barn envy", and I'm trying to make my finished basement look like The Barn ;) 

All I need is a monitor as cool as his. 

------------------
Do you know where the course was in relation to C-E and Riverside?  There are sloughs that wind their way through those courses.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 06:23:13 PM by Dan Herrmann »

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 07:00:19 PM »
Dan,
I am pretty sure it was about where the terminal exists. Alderwood Road runs through Colwood. Early this week I got a good lead on a large cache of information from a person who's childhood yard had a transplanted
Alderwood green.

Norbert P

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 02:23:08 PM »
FYI - the USGA museum has a beautiful reproduction poster for sale featuring Alderwood.  It's from the US Amateur.  Features an illustration of a golfer hitting toward Mt Hood.

------------------
Do you know where the course was in relation to C-E and Riverside?  There are sloughs that wind their way through those courses.

Thanks for that article, Peter.  A few years ago I called OGA to see if they had any layout illustrations of the course but I got shuffled around and I dropped the pursuit. I wonder if Mingay's got one.   
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 02:54:26 PM »
Cool poster, Slag.

As a matter of fact, I recently received a couple rudimetary layout illustrations of the Alderwood course... from one, Pete Pittock in fact  :)
jeffmingay.com

JohnV

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 05:03:04 PM »
Thanks Peter.

The loss of Orenco is a gain for the average score of all golf courses in Oregon.

It was a course I avoided.  I was a substitute in a golf league that played at Orenco and another course.  I wouldn't substitute if the match as at Orink-dinky.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 07:56:26 PM »
John - come on, Orenco was a hoot if you were in the right frame of mind.  Of course, I was only in that frame of mind once every other year or so.

Isn't that area between Beaverton and Hillsboro getting awfully built up?  I remember when all that was out there was Orenco, HIO airport, and Helvatia Tavern.

Slag - thanks for posting the pic of the poster.  Yep, that's the one, and it looks great framed.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 09:17:48 PM »
John - come on, Orenco was a hoot if you were in the right frame of mind.  Of course, I was only in that frame of mind once every other year or so.

Isn't that area between Beaverton and Hillsboro getting awfully built up?  I remember when all that was out there was Orenco, HIO airport, and Helvatia Tavern.

Slag - thanks for posting the pic of the poster.  Yep, that's the one, and it looks great framed.

Not sure but suspect that might be RTJ, Jr in the poster.  That shiny hair kind of gives it away, not to mention that great balanced finish.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back