News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Andy Levett

South Moor - MacKenzie
« on: May 23, 2004, 08:57:38 PM »
South Moor (1923) is one of the least heralded of the dozens of unheralded MacKenzie courses in the north of England.
In some respects it is typically MacKenzie, less so in others.

Like every MacK course I have seen the routing is excellent, with uniformly well-chosen green sites on the undulating (steep in places) moorland property.
But the greens themselves, though true, reasonably quick, and possessing plenty of subtle slopes are surprisingly flat for the creator of Sitwell Park and Pasatiempo.

I doubt the rather bland-looking bunkers have much visual affinity with what was built in 1923.  I wonder what the budget was – even by the standards of the time it doesn’t look like much earth was moved.

I suspect South Moor would be an interesting course to play with hickories. From the back it’s 6273 yards, par 72.
The  approaches  to most greens are open, from the correct angle at least, but judgement of the slopes leading up to the putting surface is tricky – and fun.
 But with modern equipment even modest players will be hitting high short irons right up to the flag on holes designed for running mid-irons pitched short.

I thoroughly enjoyed South Moor – especially as it may be the cheapest MacK course on the planet at £15 – but wouldn’t give up a round at Colt’s Brancepeth  Castle nearby to play it.

Here’s some pics.
The 4th green, below, appeared perhaps the most natural on the course - the runrigs running across the green were much trickier than the picture shows and are just a continuation of the rumpled fairway found on that hole and others to the east of the site.

5th is 317yds uphill and the long narrow green receives only a good shot.

This shot below on the 8th is about as Mackenzian as it got. A sharp dip beyond the flag.

The 15th offered an intimidating tee-shot...

...and the shot to the green is harder than it looks.

South Moor has a tricky finish - it's still a good lash to open up the dogelg 16th so you have a sight of the green...

...and this is the green.

17th tee shot (green is dogleg left)

...and the green

« Last Edit: May 26, 2004, 12:33:09 PM by Andy Levett »

Mark_Rowlinson

Re:South Moor - MacKenzie
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2004, 06:35:33 PM »
Andy,

I've only been away for 3 days and this is relegated to Page 3, such is the industry of GCA posters.  I'm so glad to see these because a few years ago I could get no information out of the club.  Now I see they have a web site and are beginning to value their status.  I wonder if they have photos (plans are too much to hope for) of the early days which might provoke a restoration of original features.  Thanks for the photos - do post more, or E-mail me with as much info as you've got.

Mark.

Andy Levett

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2004, 01:03:22 PM »
Mark, I'll send you some more pix. I've asked the club for old photos etc so if anything materialises I will share it here.

I played part of the round with two members and they told me the green on the third  had had to be replaced (it's surrounded by trees on three sides and the new one is also struggling). For some reason they didn't copy the original but put in a two-level 'MacKenzie Green'. The irony is, this new 'MacKenzie Green' is the only one on the course.

ed_battye

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2004, 06:11:24 PM »
Andy,

is there actually any hard evidence that MacKenzie designed this course. I heard it was all based on rumour and speculation??

Paul_Turner

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2004, 06:35:13 PM »
Ed

I'm sure it's a Mack course.  I've read some contemporary books that state so.

Andy

Looks to have some natural appeal.  I'd play it.

Got any pics of Brancepth?
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Andy Levett

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2004, 07:18:29 PM »
Ed,
Nope, I'm just following the books and interested in your opinion either here or via email. I have just checked your post history and realise you are serious.
Paul,
I'm going to Brancepeth on Sunday for an Open. I hope to get some pics then and if I do I will definitely post them.
I think you would love South Moor but if you do make it up here the unheralded MacK course I really rate is Shipley - they seem slightly ashamed of the 6 3s, 6 4s, 6 5s routing but with the exception of the getting-to-know-you first over  the rhododenrons the rest are great.

Paul_Turner

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2004, 07:33:42 PM »
Andy

I'm gonna send you on another mission too...Tyneside ;).  I'll email you some old pics to try and pique your interest.

Andy Levett

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2004, 07:54:36 AM »
Tyneside's a Colt eh? Bit of a sleeper, I had to look it up in The Times Guide. Pix certainly piqued my interest and I will visit and report back sooner rather  than later.
I'm a sucker for old pictures - somebody (French? Malraux? Maurois?) wrote something to the effect that there's no nostalgia like nostalgia  for a time you have not personally experienced and I know exactly where he was coming from.

Jonathan Davison

Re:South Moor - MacKenzie New
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2004, 09:43:31 AM »
About time us in the north east got some credit.
South Moor is a redesign by Mackenzie, in my opinion lacks Mackenzie features when compared to Darlington. I heard Donald Steel and Tom Mackenzie have plans for a new nine holes at South Moor?
Tyneside another wonderful Colt gem and very cheap to play.
Another Mackenzie design I would recommend is City of Newcastle.
I have lots of photos from many of the courses in the north east if anyone wants any.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 01:48:15 PM by Jonathan Davison »

Paul_Turner

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2004, 10:16:22 AM »
Old pics of Colt's redone Tyneside:

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2004, 01:37:27 PM »
Please copy me in on any info/pics.  It's always very useful.  I have lots of slides of Brancepeth, will try to scan them rather better than I have done in the past and will E-mail them to you Paul.  If they're good enough you may post them.

Andy Hughes

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2004, 08:48:10 PM »
Mark, Paul, Andy,
I am just a lurker on these posts with the British course photos as I have nothing to add, but I wanted to let you know how much I enjoy them.

AH
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

Jonathan Davison

Re:South Moor - MacKenzie New
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2004, 03:26:38 PM »
Paul Turner
Wow the photos of Tyneside are wonderful, the original course was designed by Mungo Park and if you drive into Ryton Village you can see old bunker shapes and tees in between a housing estate. I will visit Tyneside within the next week and email you some photos, it will be interesting to see the difference.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 01:47:38 PM by Jonathan Davison »

Paul_Turner

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2004, 03:59:08 PM »
Jonny

Great, from an aerial, the course looks quite intact.

Anyone been to Alnmouth (Foxton)?

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2004, 06:02:47 PM »
Please keep me copied in on this - I think there's great potential in the north east and it's currently the best value in England, second only to Wales (until the Celtic Manor Ryder Cup effect kicks in).

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back