News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_Roths

Travel Suggestions - Nashville / Vancouver
« on: June 26, 2017, 09:19:23 AM »
I am going to be travelling later this Summer to Nashville and Vancouver.

Any suggestions for places to see within say an hours drive?  Looking for quirky, par 3 or short courses.

Thanks in advance.

Steve_Roths

Re: Travel Suggestions - Nashville / Vancouver
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 09:20:55 AM »
Is Sweetens Cove worth a visit in the Nashville area (90 min drive)?

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 09:44:38 AM »
Steve,

Yes it is.  Combine that trip with a round at Gil Hanse's 9-hole Sewanee (25 minutes from Sweetens Cove) and you'll have a great day.

TK

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 10:53:53 AM »
If you want more than golf you need to drive up to Whistler from Vancouver. It is just stunning and very worth the trip. Depending from where you leave it is about an hour. There is golf up there but I don't know how good it is. I have only skied there.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Mike Hendren

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 11:11:20 AM »
The 9 holes  Percy Warner Golf Course tips out at 2,640 yards playing to a par of 34.  No tee times and $9 for nine holes.  Built in 1937 it is bordered by one of the largest urban parks in America on one side and one of the most affluent enclaves - Belle Meade on the other.  Cheekwood's botanical gardens are just up the hill. 

Unfortunately I cannot arrange a game at Lightning Bug Golf Course at Solitude.  They have added 3 holes and now have a total of 9. 

You come to Nashville for the food and the music, not the golf.  Also, it remains the number one bachelorette destination in America as evidenced by the plethora of woo girls on the peddle taverns.  And yes, the hot chicken is really that good - I prefer Pepperfire but HattieB's is the most civilized.  Prince's is the granddaddy, but a little rougher around the edges.  Bolton's is my go to for hot fish.  Do not order the hottest and do not touch your eyes. 

Best restaurant in town is The Catbird Seat - only a handful of seats and a tough reservation.  Etch is a low key favorite around the corner from my office.  The Patterson House is a must for cocktails.  Yazoo or Tennessee Brewworks for craft beer.   Best barbecue (pork of course) is Martin's (spare ribs with dry rub) and trust me, I know barbecue.

Check to see if The Time Jumpers are playing on a Monday night at 3rd and Lindsley.  Texas swing with Vince Gill and Rodney Crowell usually sitting in.    Most authentic honky tonk on Lower Broadway is Robert's Western World -  old school.  Visit Hatch's Showprint in the Omni Hotel.

Staying downtown is a must.  It won't be cheap until our 4,000 rooms under construction are complete.   

Please let me buy  you a beer.

Mike
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 11:45:30 AM by Michael H »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Sean Leary

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 01:36:45 PM »
On top of Mike's recommendations I would also recommend:

Skulls Rainbow room for post dinner cocktails.

Pinewood Social Club for Brunch.

Don't sweat which places to go and watch live music.  They are all awesome.

We stayed in the Hilton downtown and it was the perfect location.

Nashville is the best. Enjoy.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 01:45:34 PM »

And yet you didn't call, write or e-mail.  Hurtful.
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Steve_Roths

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 06:26:38 PM »
Thanks Everyone.  I will post some pics post trip.

Rees Milikin

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2017, 10:03:50 PM »
Prince's hot chicken is where you should go, it is the OG.  Make sure you get there a few minutes before they open or your wait will be pretty long.

If you want really good country music without the downtown dipshits, go to the Nashville Palace.  It's not in a cool part of town, but for real deal country music, nothing else comes close.  I will second Robert's if you are stuck downtown.

The golf sucks in Nashville, do other stuff as Michael suggested.

Sean Leary

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2017, 12:43:02 PM »

And yet you didn't call, write or e-mail.  Hurtful.

Getting back at you for not coming to Seattle anymore.

Dale Jackson

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2017, 01:36:13 PM »
Steve, in Vancouver's Stanley Park there is a pitch and putt course designed by AV Macan (the most important architect in the Northwest, Jeff Mingay has a profile in this site).  Not sure how much is still original. 

In West Vancouver (across the Lions Gate bridge from downtown) there is a 9 hole course called Gleneagles.  It is quirky in a not so great way. 

In Burnaby (right next to Vancouver) there are two par 3 courses, the one in Central Park (right on the Vancouver/Burnaby border) is set in some very large Douglas Firs and very scenic.

And for the out of the way visit, on Pended Island (a 1 hour ferry ride from Greater Vancouver) there is the best 27 hole (disk) frisbee golf course. Not quite what you asked about but if anyone is ever in the area it is a must play.
I've seen an architecture, something new, that has been in my mind for years and I am glad to see a man with A.V. Macan's ability to bring it out. - Gene Sarazen

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2017, 01:41:00 PM »
As great as shape as Victoria National is this year it is well worth the 2.5 hour drive. It is simply exhilarating.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back