News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Wyatt Halliday

Re: Most Thrilling Shot You've Had On A Golf Course
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2010, 01:06:30 AM »
Mr. Huntley,

Thanks for the bump. My most thrilling shot occurred this past summer in Michigan when I aced the ninth at Kingsley. The fact that it was from the South tee to a front flag with a 20mph tailwind makes it the most thrilling fluke I've ever experienced. However, what I remember most is being tackled by three guys on the tee box. With my senses heightened and adrenaline pumping, I recall glancing around the tee to find clubs, balls, tees, gloves, sunglasses and hats scattered randomly about. This image is seared into my brain almost as much as seeing the ball disappear into the hole. Under normal circumstances, being tackled by three golf buddies would be SOP. In this case I was tackled by one guy I had known less than a year, another I had met three months prior and the third who I had met the day before. Today I'm fortunate enough to count them all as dear friends. These are friends that I wouldn't have met if it wasn't for this site and the kindness of the member who invited me.

Wyatt

Michael Taylor

« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2010, 01:21:26 AM »
I must say (forgive my bias), the most thrilling shot in golf would probably have to be the 2nd shot to the 5th at NSWGC, from the plateau..

There is nothing else like it. You can hit a ball that stays airborn for upwards of 10 seconds, and to see if land on the green would be one of the most satisfying moments in all of golf. And I haven't even mentioned the view..

Here is two of my own photos..

« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 01:28:00 AM by Michael Taylor »

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2010, 06:40:09 AM »
I have - two that are as clear today as they were the time I played them - primarily because my heart-rate was off the charts at the time...

1. My opening tee shot on the first time I went to TOC at St. Andrews
2. My tee shot into the 16th at Cypress Point

am still looking for the trilogy  :)

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2010, 09:32:44 AM »
Wow, Tom Paul, is that story true on the first page here about #18 at Merion?

Gib, that is a powerful story of yours on #18 at Merion as well.

Kevin Cahoon

« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2010, 09:40:40 AM »
I have two.

The Postage Stamp at Royal Troon. The tiny target, the strong breeze, with a caddie who wanted me to hit a shot that is not in my bag. I hit the high floating shot that somehow found the green about 10 feet from the hole. I made the birdie and won one of the only two skins for the day.

The first tee at Prairie Dunes. Standing there attempting to find the line for the tee shot with a 30 mile an hour wind and the temperature hovering around 36 F in October. The start to one of my most fun days on a golf course.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2010, 09:45:30 AM »
I have - two that are as clear today as they were the time I played them - primarily because my heart-rate was off the charts at the time...

Kevin P:

Most people would tell you to go play the second shot on the 8th at Pebble Beach.  But, if you've played Cypress Point, I can't imagine that you didn't play Pebble, so that must not have done it for you.

My suggestion would be to drive down the Mull of Kintyre, all the way anticipating the first tee shot at Machrihanish, and then rip a driver over the corner of the beach with the surf rolling in.

Phil Benedict

« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2010, 09:47:44 AM »
The tee shot on the 5th at Mid-Ocean.

Jason Topp

« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2010, 10:22:57 AM »
The most thrilling shot for me has to do with competition and not architecture.  For me it has to be a 15 foot putt that I thought was to tie for first place in a one-day 27 hole tournament.  I the putt right where I wanted to but it hit the high side of the hole and stayed out.  It turned out that someone else had gone low in the last nine so it did not matter but to have that chance and not choke was special.

From a golf course perspective, I would list my first tee shot on 12 at the Old Course.  There was a strong headwind and the caddie told me to hit it near some gorse way out to the right which seemed nuts but he had steered me right for 11 holes.  Walking to the ball I could see his wisdom.  I had no idea all of those deep bunkers existed and finding them while walking to the ball was a magical surprise.

Jed Peters

« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2010, 11:24:20 AM »
Most thrilling shot I've ever hit was 4 wood into crosswind, 8th hole, pebble beach. I hit a gem, and it finished on the green.

Pretty awesome too was making par on 4-9 on pebble, playing all in regulation.

Too bad I made a 7 on 10 though. :)

Sean Leary

« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2010, 11:54:36 AM »

I was so happy when you hit such a good shot there. And so disappointed when I hit such a bad one right after.

I have an uncanny ability to hit bad shots when the opportunity presents itself for a thrilling shot.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #60 on: February 03, 2010, 01:18:02 PM »
My most thrilling shot is actually two shots.  At the 17th hole at Raleigh CC I made a hole-in-one when the flag was not in the hole.  I just aimed at the middle of the green and it disappeared into the hole.  I then went out play a second 18 and on the par five first hole I knocked in a wedge from about 60 yards for and eagle three.  Two hole outs in three holes.  I should have quit.  It was all downhill from there.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jud_T

« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2010, 01:24:50 PM »
Holing out for eagle here:

Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Nick Church

« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2010, 01:35:51 PM »
My most thrilling shot occurred on my one & only visit to Pebble Beach a couple of Labor Days ago.

I used a hybrid to cover the span on the second shot at the 8th.  Thanks to my caddie, Rock, for encouraging the line and swing.

C. Squier

« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2010, 01:50:20 PM »
I have 2 that stick out. 

#8 at Dunes Club, New Buffalo, MI:  Pulled drive left and had ~175 yds left over that big ol' tree.  Hit the hardest 8 iron of my life and dead flushed it to 3 feet.  I can still feel the pureness of the shot.

#18 at Shinnecock:  ~190 yds in on the left side of the fairway into a stiff wind.  Flushed a 4 iron to 12 ft and two putted to break 80 on my first (only) time around. 

Tim Johnson

« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2010, 01:59:02 PM »
12th at TOC playing with my dad and a member named Bruce. Bruce approached me after the 11th which I just doubled and said while he hasnt caddied for me all day, just pointed out some lines off the tee, he felt I might have the length to reach the green, plays around 300 yrds. Knowing i wasnt coming back I asked for the line. After hitting what was the sweetest drive of my life, he said "jeez Tim I hope i didnt give you too good of a line, you might have hit perfect but the fairway mounds might have lead into the right rough. I got about 30 yards from the green and saw one ball just on the fringe and wasnt sure if it was me or the others. It was me, I had about 25ft with a subtle double break to the hole. Keep in mind, I can sink a 40 footer for double bogey with ease yet I cant get the ball to the hole on a 3 footer for birdie. As the putt broke right about 10 feet from the hole and it started to look like it had a chance and I can still remember the way the ball kept looking better and better as it neared the hole. When the putt dropped in for eagle, I did a Tiger Like fist pump down and let out a yes that was not in my nature but was just a reaction. I apologized to the group on the 6th and to the marshall who was standing on the 13th tee chatting with Bruce. He looked at me and said "it was an eagle at St Andrews, you should enjoy it.

JLahrman

« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2010, 02:36:02 PM »
I agree with Jason Topp, my most thrilling shots have been related to the situation and execution, not the architecture.  A thrilling shot for me is one that is not just a very good shot, but one that you know from the instant you strike the shot that you've done it perfectly.  You watch a good shot to see how good it's going to be, but I'm talking about the kind that you don't even bother to watch because you instantly know how good it is.  Kind of like the Fred Couples "Oh baby" at the Masters a few years ago.

For a hack like me it doesn't occur that often.  One I remember in particular was at Pinehurst #2 about 15 years ago.  I hooked a drive into the lefthand fairway bunker on #11.  The hole was on the left hand side of the green, just over a greenside bunker thanks to my lousy angle.  It was a very difficult shot.  I hit a four iron and knew as soon as I hit it that it was as perfect of a shot as I could hit.  It floated up over the bunker and came down 8 feet away.  I don't even remember if I made the putt.  I just remember wishing I could hit every shot half that flush.  I had a hole-in-one the next day on #17 (my only ace to date), and that shot wasn't remotely as thrilling.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 06:20:28 PM by JLahrman »

Dave McCollum

« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2010, 03:30:42 PM »
The tee shot on #1 at Royal Aberdeen.  I teed off at about 12:30 as a single for my first round in Scotland.  The tee literally touches the clubhouse grill room’s huge windows, leaving you about 12 feet in front of large lunch crowd eating at tables oriented to the tee outside.  Only the footlights are missing.  With a 35 mph tail wind assisting, my drive cleared the right fairway bunkers, leaving no more than I lob wedge to the green.  I was so relieved that I probably forgot to act like I knew what I was doing. 
(During my introduction to wind on the links, I remember hitting a 190 yard 9-iron and a 160-yar 3-wood.  When I finished, a member asked me about my round.  I then asked him if this was what they called “full conditions?”  He said, “Without the wind, it’d be a bit boring out there.”  At 35-45 mph, boring was the last word that I had in mind, but his comment changed my whole view of golf.)   

Getting an ace on a 150 yard one-shotter  to a blind green surface the second time I ever played golf.  The thrill came after a five minute search in the brush behind the green and a totally casual glance in the hole on the way by.  I was still laughing so hard that I made a 13 on the next hole.  I didn’t play much golf for the next 25 years—5 to 10 times—and am still waiting for the next.

The whole round on the TOC was thrilling and magical.  All of these folks are right about the tee shot on the usually crowded first tee.  Playing into a 25 mph headwind, I was so pumped up with a fear of failure that I drove it to within a yard of the Burn, made an easy par, and staggered on.  Finally turning down wind at #9 and after hitting a high fade driver, having my caddie wordlessly hand me my putter as I turned around to ask him where it ended up.  Picking the wrong “O” on the OC Hotel sign and finding my ball 6 inches in bounds along the fence on the right. I am an old guy who is not long off the tee.    Thrilling indeed.

Tom’s recollection about the opening tee shot matches mine at Machrihanish.  Wind howling, the tide on the way in, and a couple of other groups around on the tee box.  I took off a huge bite of beach and ended up way out there (for me) in the middle of the first fairway.  Was it any less thrilling because I pulled it left and the ball skipped off the beach first?  Nah.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2010, 03:31:47 PM »
Other than my second to No. 8 at Pebble the one time I played there, all of the "thrilling" shots I can recall involve one or both of the following:

-- the wind (fighting it, or riding it);

-- the ball moving along the ground for a long way and/or a long time.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

George Pazin

« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2010, 03:44:48 PM »
Sadly, I don't know if I have ever had one that was truly thrilling. My hole in one was more shocking than anything else - kinda purdy, too.

3 others stand out for different reasons:

1) an absolutely pured 4 iron from a moderately tight lie, ball below my feet, that took off like a bullet, climbed gracefully and finally settled about 10 feet short of the hole from about 220 out - that was the most beautiful shot I've ever hit;

2) an 8 iron into a par 5 green (3rd shot, nothing special) that made a zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz sound as it zipped off the club, and checked up startlingly quick on the green - probably the coolest shot I think I've hit;

3) a 7 iron from the rough that I intentionally cut around a tree that sailed high and faded ever so slightly onto the green, exactly as I had planned and envisioned - that was probably the best shot I've ever hit.

Other than that, most of the thrills I've experienced on the course were just special moments with friends (no women, get your mind out of the gutter... :)).
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2010, 05:51:46 PM »

Kevin P:

Most people would tell you to go play the second shot on the 8th at Pebble Beach.  But, if you've played Cypress Point, I can't imagine that you didn't play Pebble, so that must not have done it for you.

My suggestion would be to drive down the Mull of Kintyre, all the way anticipating the first tee shot at Machrihanish, and then rip a driver over the corner of the beach with the surf rolling in.

Tom

It's interesting you highlight Machrihanish as it's a course that I've never gotten to after at least five trips to Scotland. It is however - one that I plan to get to one day and maybe it will round the trilogy out.

I was so happy when you hit such a good shot there. And so disappointed when I hit such a bad one right after.

I have an uncanny ability to hit bad shots when the opportunity presents itself for a thrilling shot.

Sean

I understand where you are coming from - particulalry when you anticipate playing a hole so much

A bit like when I played the 17th at TOC for the first time - my natural shot shape is a draw and I was hoping to hit one over the dogleg yet proceeded to hit the biggest duck hook in ages. I had to play my second from the 2nd fairway  :-[

Mike's tooing and frowing with the 3W in concern of the back bunkers then the club's ultimate selection on the advice of his caddie with the words"no one ever goes in there" just rounded off the hole and moment for mine.

Sean Leary

« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2010, 06:05:40 PM »

Kevin P:

Tom

It's interesting you highlight Machrihanish as it's a course that I've never gotten to after at least five trips to Scotland. It is however - one that I plan to get to one day and maybe it will round the trilogy out.

Sean

I understand where you are coming from - particulalry when you anticipate playing a hole so much

A bit like when I played the 17th at TOC for the first time - my natural shot shape is a draw and I was hoping to hit one over the dogleg yet proceeded to hit the biggest duck hook in ages. I had to play my second from the 2nd fairway  :-[

Mike's tooing and frowing with the 3W in concern of the back bunkers then the club's ultimate selection on the advice of his caddie with the words"no one ever goes in there" just rounded off the hole and moment for mine.

That was classic. "I have been caddying here since 1974 and have never had to rake the back bunkers"

Oh, and when I played 17 at TOC I made triple after being 4 under par on the tee box. You get my point.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #71 on: February 03, 2010, 06:10:33 PM »
Sean

Well you were 1 under going up 18 still Ok no ?

Ben Sims

« Reply #72 on: February 03, 2010, 06:12:34 PM »
Mr. Huntley,

Thanks for the bump. My most thrilling shot occurred this past summer in Michigan when I aced the ninth at Kingsley. The fact that it was from the South tee to a front flag with a 20mph tailwind makes it the most thrilling fluke I've ever experienced. However, what I remember most is being tackled by three guys on the tee box. With my senses heightened and adrenaline pumping, I recall glancing around the tee to find clubs, balls, tees, gloves, sunglasses and hats scattered randomly about. This image is seared into my brain almost as much as seeing the ball disappear into the hole. Under normal circumstances, being tackled by three golf buddies would be SOP. In this case I was tackled by one guy I had known less than a year, another I had met three months prior and the third who I had met the day before. Today I'm fortunate enough to count them all as dear friends. These are friends that I wouldn't have met if it wasn't for this site and the kindness of the member who invited me.

Wyatt

That was a good day Wyatt.  Though I was expecting Brad to have a little better technique as an NYC copper.  And frankly, Jim Colton should now be recruited as a 1-gap kind of guy.  

My most thrilling shot still remains driving the green on 16 at Bandon Dunes right after narrowly missing a truck with a stung 6 iron aimed at the beach.  

What would have been is my good buddy's 2 inch tee shot on #5 Short at Old Macdonald.  Jeff Brinegar--the head pro at Pac and Mac--said he would been the first to ace the hole had it rolled two more inches.

Jim Colton

« Reply #73 on: February 03, 2010, 10:08:06 PM »
Ben,

I was actually trying to injure Wyatt. Still bitter he needed an ace to beat me 1-up.

archie_struthers

« Reply #74 on: February 03, 2010, 10:28:34 PM »
 :D ;D 8)

anytime you stuff an iron close when trying to finish a round off

real cool when you can beat down the shakes

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back