News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul Richards

Restoration of the Year Award
« on: April 28, 2004, 08:17:45 PM »
Having read the previous topic, "Renovation of the Year Award" by Steve Shaffer, I have to add my own two cents in.

The RESTORATION of the Year Award will go, without a doubt, this year, to my home course - Beverly Country Club.

Having walked Ron Prichard's thoughtful restoration of this Donald Ross classic more than a few times this winter, I can see how AWESOME it is.

Saturday is opening day for the course - I will report back on how it plays - and, hopefully, that is as good as it looks!

Unfortunately, guest play is not scheduled to begin until June 1st - so get your tee-times and Chicago visits in after that time!

Cheers!!!
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Paul Richards

Re:Restoration of the Year Award
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2004, 08:37:38 PM »
And how can I forget the excellent work by Earth Force?

Cheers!!!
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Jason Mandel

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2004, 10:35:03 PM »
Paul,

I love what Ron has done at Aronimink.  He is one guy that certainly "gets it".  I hope you enjoy the course as much as we enjoy our "renovation" at White Manor.

I'm sure Beverly will be right up there with the Chicago must sees and next time I'm in Chi-Town would love to see the place.

I know your excitement must be building, do you have any more recent photo's to post?

Jason
You learn more about a man on a golf course than anywhere else

contact info: jasonymandel@gmail.com

SPDB

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2004, 01:34:45 AM »
Paul - Who does it beat out, and by how much?

Is it a true restoration?

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2004, 09:46:06 AM »
I will see Ron Forse's work at Metairie Cc again this weekend. I think he did very good work with a very small piece of property bringing a Raynor course back to life.

Paul Richards

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2004, 04:35:40 PM »
SPDB:

What is the definition of a 'true restoration' anyways?

The fact is that we did not get rid of the sprinkler systems, we didn't shorten the course and we didn't remove all of the trees - to bring it exactly to 1931 standards.

However, Ron Prichard did a thoughtful study of what was put in place here by Donald Ross, then he took into account that my lousy swing hits the ball 50 yards longer than the smoothe swing of Francis Ouimet.

In effect, he brought back the Ross characteristics, but took into account the fact that the Pro V1x goes so far.

Since Mr. Ross died over 50 years ago, he was unavailable to come back and 'restore' the course - so we did the next best thing - we got the foremost expert in this field to take what we had and do with it what he thinks Donald Ross might have done in 2003.

We expanded the greens back to their original size, we removed some trees, we squared up the tee boxes, and we redid all the bunkers in the style of Mr. Ross.

That, to me, was the 'thoughtful restoration' of Beverly Country Club, by Ron Prichard, in the style of the late and great Mr. Ross.

Paul Richards

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2004, 05:06:35 PM »
Jason

Thanks for the kind words.  I hope to see White Manor as well some day.

I am working on getting some more before and after pictures - we have files of the old ones, we're just waiting to have some more professional 'after' pictures once the trees 'green-up' - maybe in June or July - so we can really compare.

SPDB:

To answer your other question - IMHO, it looks to me like this will be the best restoration to 'come to market' this year - it's that good!

Cheers!!

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2004, 05:15:44 PM »
I'm not sure that their is a restoration award, and if not there should be.  

The renovation award mentioned last week was by a Golf magazine.  Does anyone know if this award if for real?

Steve_Lovett

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2004, 05:28:44 PM »
Paul/Jason,

It would be interesting to see before/after (and historic) photo's of White Manor & Beverly - whether they are professional photos or not.

Jason Mandel

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2004, 05:30:55 PM »
I will be there this wekeend and try and take some after photo's, I will have to ask around for the before, because I don't personally have any, although they are around the clubhouse.  

Jason
You learn more about a man on a golf course than anywhere else

contact info: jasonymandel@gmail.com

Paul Richards

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2004, 11:07:07 PM »
Steve:

Take a look through the search engine here on GCA.

I posted a before and after of the 14th hole - it's pretty amazing!

SPDB

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2004, 12:07:22 AM »

SPDB:

To answer your other question - IMHO, it looks to me like this will be the best restoration to 'come to market' this year - it's that good!

Paul - Who does it beat out? Wasn't the 8th hole (?) not restored to its true green size?

Congrats on the restoration, and having the good sense to go about the work in a thoughtful and methodical way.

Have fun today.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2004, 12:09:46 AM by SPDB »

Paul Richards

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2004, 07:05:02 AM »
SPDB

Don't know who the other candidates are.

Anyone have any to suggest?? ???

The history of the 8th green is quite interesting.  Originally, it was a short, 380-ish par four, with a small, round, punch-bowl-style green.  When the officials from the Western Golf Association came out to scout the place prior to the 1963 Western (won, famously, by Arnold Palmer in an 18-hole playoff over Jack Nicklaus and Julius Boros), they determined the hole was too short for championship standards and suggested to the club to remove some trees and build a new green some 30-40 yards further back.  The club did so, but, rather than destroy the original green, they just ran the two of them together.

Ron Prichard spent a lot of time on this green.  He decided that despite it not being the original Ross green, he thought it unique enough and different enough that it warranted keeping.  However, he did reshape the back portion, raising it, putting in a chipping area to the right, and strenghthening it.  As far as I know, no decision has been made to abandon the original Ross green to turn it into fairway, as has been suggested.

Craig Disher

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2004, 10:04:07 AM »
Paul,
The pictures are gone from the March thread. I'm very interested in retrieving them - or any other before/after views that you have. Could you either repost or email them to me?

George_Bahto

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2004, 11:09:52 AM »
and what about Yale ?????????????
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

GeoffreyC

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2004, 04:24:35 PM »
Thanks George

I was going to nominate Yale but I didn't want anyone to think I was a homie.  ;)

Paul Richards

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2004, 04:10:56 PM »
Despite the really cr$%#y weather, we got the opening round in yesterday.

Yes, it was all I expected it to be!  Awesome job, Mr. Prichard.

BTW, since only 3 of us played from the back tees, I am proud to say that I set the championship-tee course record from the tips with my weather-aided 53-41=94!  So, for the moment, I hold the unofficial 'new' course record!  It's great to be mentioned in the same breath as some of the game's greats who have held Beverly's 'official' club record - Chick Evans, Tommy Armour (for 38 years!) and Tom Weiskopf.

Cheers!!

Paul Richards

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2004, 04:16:07 PM »
Craig:

The thread is still there.

Try :

Topic: Beverly CC - restoration - before/after - 14th  (Read 941 times)  

Paul Richards
YaBB God

Beverly CC - restoration - before/after - 14th
« on: March 09, 2004, 06:59:15 am »      

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here are the photos of the before/after of the 14th hole at Beverly CC.

As you can see, much tree management was accomplished, the bunkers all done in classic Ross style, the green was expanded back to its original style, and the far back right bunker was put back in after having been removed in the '50's.

Kudos to Ron Prichard for a job well-done.

Craig Disher

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2004, 05:13:37 PM »
Paul,
I found the thread but the pictures don't show - just a big blank space. Are you sure the pictures are still on the webspace?

Paul Richards

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2004, 03:28:17 PM »
Craig

I moved the thread to the top of the list with a reply.

Check it out!

Paul Richards

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2004, 06:53:09 AM »
Craig and others:

The photos for the before and after of the 14th hole at Beverly are back available at the thread entitled:

Beverly CC - restoration - before/after - 14th « 1 2 »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back