News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

Re:Banks vs Raynor
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2004, 10:51:11 AM »
TEPaul,

The green slope at SH is more severe then those at NGLA and PR.

Paul Turner,

Years ago I was amazed when a fellow competitor chose to hit a high cut 5-iron into # 4 at NGLA.  The pin was far left but toward the front of the green.  He hit a good shot, leaving him an uphill putt for birdie.

Even on downhill redans, with the hole cut in that location, the shot makes sense for a skilled golfer.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2004, 01:34:29 PM by Patrick_Mucci »

TEPaul

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2004, 11:06:17 AM »
"TEPaul,
The green slope at SH is more severe then those at NGLA and PR."

Pat:

I don't know that I'd agree with that although there certainly is a good way to find out. The playability on that green (#2) may be a bit more intense than the redan at NGLA or Piping but probably because most of the "kicker" happens to be in the green itself and not off it or near the front, as in the other two! A good way to deal with that at SH, though, would be to dial down their greenspeed by just about a foot. It's just amazing how much difference a foot on the stimp makes when you're dealing with some fairly dramatic slopes and contours as PR, NGLA and SH all have.

On this point alone you should read the really good paper that Rich Spear, the super of PR, wrote on this very subject about 10 years ago. If I can stop a solid ball twice on that green when the greens are firm and very fast I can guarantee that that green is not too severe!

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2004, 01:38:36 PM »
TEPaul,

With some really severe slopes and contours on their greens, I would agree that dialing down at SH makes sense.

Unfortunately, most of the world is enamored with the opposite.

Just witness the green speeds at Seminole during the Coleman.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back