News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_Lovett

Saucon Valley
« on: May 01, 2004, 08:55:15 PM »
My brother-in-law will be moving to Bethlehem, PA in the next several months and has the opportunity to join Saucon Valley.  I have not had the opportunity to visit or play, and have seen and read very little about it.

Would someone please enlighten me on the history, club, course, etc...?

Thanks in advance...

Joe Andriole

Re:Saucon Valley
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2004, 09:01:24 PM »
Saucon Valley may truly be unique in that it possesses 3 high quality golf courses from 3 different eras.  I had the pleasure of playing college golf there.  It is a terrific family oriented country club with golf terrain sufficient to host national championships.

Steve_Lovett

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2004, 09:08:55 PM »
JG-

Thanks for your response...  Which eras are the courses from?  Who were the designers?  How do you describe the characteristics which make them good/unique?  

Does the club have a caddy program?  Can you describe the clubhouse and other facilities?

Jason Mandel

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2004, 12:42:28 AM »
Steve,

Many other Philadelphians will chime on this when they see the post.  I have never been there from what I hear Saucon has the greatest clubhouse in the Greater Philadelphia Area.  I also hear they have a great caddie program.

The 3 courses are all supposed to be very good, and basically anyone that has a chance to join there should not think twice about it.  Although another very good club, Lehigh is not to far and would probably be a club he should look into as well.

Jason
You learn more about a man on a golf course than anywhere else

contact info: jasonymandel@gmail.com

TEPaul

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2004, 06:11:47 AM »
Saucon Valley G.C does have three courses, Old course, Grace course and Weyhill. It was initially owned by Bethlehem Steel Co (Grace family). One of the most beautiful settings in and around clubhouse you ever saw. The Grace is the biggest, longest course by the Gordons and recently Ron Forse has done some work to it that's made it better and more interesting.

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2004, 08:45:33 AM »
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/mhcc.html

There is a write-up here in the "My Home Course" section. Just page down a little and Saucon is there. Also a write-up on GAP's website:

http://www.gapgolf.org/clubs.asp?cid=104

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2004, 09:18:13 AM »
Steve Lovett,

Cut through all the nonsense, the clubhouse, caddies, the bar, etc., etc..

Tell your brother-in-law to join, neither one of you will be disappointed.

T_MacWood

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2004, 09:39:22 AM »
The master mind of Saucon Valley--Eugene Grace--was a prominent member of PVGC and I assume of the Philadelphia golfing establishment. When choosing his architect for his first course (Old) it is interesting to note he passed over a number of local talents--like Tillinghast, Wilson, Findlay and Flynn (although he must have been pretty new to the game) as well as big names who had done work in the region like Ross and Park (Raynor was a nationally important man too). Instead he went with Herbert Strong...I believe it says more about Strong's reputation, than anything negative about the other men.

TEPaul

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2004, 12:35:44 PM »
Tom MacW:

Eugene Grace was a big man in the Philadelphia golfing establishment. He was also a big man in the USGA, perhaps even the President of the USGA at some point, I believe. The Graces who basically owned Bethlehem Steel basically owned Saucon Valley too until they turned it over to the membership some time ago. His son, Gene Grace was a good friend of mine (died a few years ago) and his daughter lives just across the fields from me. It's sort of sad what's happened to Bethlehem Steel---as of a few month ago it is no more. Gene Grace for years ran and was the MC of the Baily Cup Matches that are going to take place this coming Wednesday---always the first Wednesday in May and have probably been going on for over 75 years. It's a day of matches between PVGC, Merion, HVGC and GMGC that revolves every year and is singles in the morning, followed by foursome matches in the afternoon and a wonderful evening following. Always one of the best days of golf in my opinion with all the traditions and history. Whenever I think of the Baily Matches I think of Eugene Grace.

Steve_Lovett

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2004, 03:27:56 PM »
Thanks Pat...

We have cut through the nonsense - he will be joining soon.  Whether or not to join was never in question.  

Steve_Lovett

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2004, 09:53:21 AM »
Redanman,

Within the next year he will be relocating there from Long Island - and clearly will be joining through business...  I understand that he has been an overnight guest at the club, and has been impressed during his guest visits...

He is a fairly recent, and predominantly social golfer - he will look at the club differently than I might but am sure he will appreciate all it has to offer...  I'll be looking forward to the broad grin you mention!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back