News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

SPDB

Re:Veeeeery private courses
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2004, 09:59:45 PM »
Is Due Process now a "private" course after the sale?

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2004, 10:06:59 PM »
Another one that previously was an estate course is in Savannah GA.  It is now a highend development named Ford Plantation.  

A person from the middle east with big oil money owned the estate in the 1980's and had Pete Dye design and build a course.  A good friend of mine would play out there a few times each winter, he said that they had guards at the gate with automatic weapons.  Apparently they bought the place as a place to escape to if the middle east ever really errupted.  Story I heard was that they began having visa issues and this is how it became a development.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Doug Siebert

« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2004, 10:32:03 PM »
I think Sanctuary technically has two members, Dave and Gail Lineger (?sp).  Dave started Remax Realty, and he and his wife are the only members.  However before everyone gets on their high and mighty about why any two people would need a course like that all to themselves.  They give the course away quite often to various local charities who are allowed to raise money by selling the ability to play Sanctuary.  Also I beieve the Remax orginization also uses times as perks.

Personally I'd rather get on my high horse because they probably do that so they can deduct the costs of building and running the course as charitable and business expenses and thus leave more taxes for us little people to pay!
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2004, 10:48:33 PM »
What about the 18-hole course outside Chicago owned and built by the guy who invented the ticker-tape machine (I believe)?
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Steve Pozaric

« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2004, 11:25:21 PM »
I didnt even see your post till after I posted mine, oops:)

- I guess the secret is out regarding my "good friend" - he is also my little brother  ;D
Steve Pozaric

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2004, 11:47:29 PM »
There is one in Napa California that I believe is 9 holes.  It was owned by some Hollywood producer who recently sold it to some high tech honcho.  They hold numerous events for fund raising there.

That was David Wolper.  http://www.davidlwolper.com/
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Wayne Freeman

« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2004, 02:07:23 AM »
 Evan-  I think the course you're thinking about near Chicago is Rich Harvest, on the owner's estate. I was hoping someone could tell us more about it.

Steve_Roths

« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2004, 09:59:40 AM »
I think Greg Norman has a nine hole course on his Colorado property, but I am not 100% sure of it.  His wife was quoted as saying that she had designed the clubhouse for their 9 hole course.  So I am just putting two and two together.  

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2004, 10:10:53 AM »
Kenny Rogers, the singer, once had his own private 18-hole course in Georgia.  I think a few lean years forced him to sell it.

rjsimper

« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2004, 11:47:17 AM »
There is a house on the West side of Pacific Coast Hightway just south of Pepperdine in Malibu that has what looks like a 100 yard par 3 or so in the back yard, set on cliffs over the ravines and with a gorgeous pacific ocean backdrop...Ill post a pic if I get a chance, but its a par 3 that any course would be proud to have...tee off from near the road, hit across the canyon to the perched green...anyone know more about this hole?  You can see it easily from PCH :)

wsmorrison

« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2004, 12:01:55 PM »
William Flynn designed an interesting 3-green, 9-hole course in 1929 for Robert Cassatt (Mary's nephew) the president of the Pennsylvania Railroad at his estate off Ithan Avenue in Bryn Mawr.  I have yet to confirm, but I think this course was built.  Flynn designed a 9-hole estate course for Dr. George Woodward Chestnut Hill property (he developed one of the nation's first suburban communities there) in 1930.  Flynn designed a miniature 18-hole golf course (each hole was only 20-30 yards or so complete with fairway and greenside bunkers) for JF Manne in 1929.  I think this was to be built in Ocean City, NJ.  The Manne course had hedges, mounds, and ponds to hit over with some elevated greens.  This must have been a very small chip and putt.  The whole course was designed to sit on less than 1/2 acre.  I don't think the Woodward or Manne courses were ever built.  The timing would have been bad for all of these.  I suspect that the Cassatt family weathered the depression better than most investors and the course may have been built and sustained for a time.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2004, 12:02:45 PM by Wayne Morrison »

ferkauf

« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2004, 12:08:52 PM »
Tyler, the course across the street from Atlantic was owned by Edward Gordon who made his money in RE in NYC. The home was put up for sale last year after he passed away. SPDB, Due Process the last I had heard was owned by the SEC as a result of the former owner Bob Brennan being convicted of securites violations.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2004, 12:21:31 PM »
SPDB

Re: Due Process( from www.nbc4.com)

The Golf Course:
      The odd name of this ultra-exclusive club was taken from the horse farm that previously occupied the land. Robert Brennan, former head of First Jersey Securities, hired Johnny Miller’s architecture firm (yes, that Johnny Miller) to design the course, which opened in 1994. The philosophy was to make it difficult to get to the greens, but fairly tame once there. This was achieved by lining the wide, gently rolling fairways with very tall, penal fescue from which balls can often only be liberated with a high-lofted club and a chopping motion. The greens, while fast, are mostly flat, allowing many putts to be made. Mature trees and natural waterways add to the aesthetics of the otherwise links-style layout.

About five years later, Brennan ran into some legal and financial troubles, forcing him to auction off the course. In January 2001 it was picked up for a cool $21 million by current owners John Ferolito, CEO of Arizona Iced Tea, and Peter Gerhart, an investment company executive.

The course is always meticulously maintained and, because of the clay base upon which it sits, is normally very lush. One golfer familiar with the course says it has the nicest collection of par-5s anywhere. However, he also says it is “one of the hardest courses in the state,” citing its 142 slope rating. “And the hardest holes play into the wind.”

Besides using furlong poles to serve as yardage markers, there are other hints of the property’s equestrian roots. The clubhouse is a converted barn and doors that once closed horse stalls now hang in front of the lockers. By the way, it’s been said that Due Process has the nicest showers of any country club in the country. They’re those large, round, overhead kind.

The Membership:
      Due Process is one of the most exclusive clubs in the state, if not the country. It’s 65 members (that’s not a misprint: it’s six, five) are multi-millionaires and billionaires. But unlike Donald Trump, these guys like to keep a low profile, and thus, an air of mystery surrounds the club. In fact, you’d be hard pressed to find anyone — members or staff — willing to talk about it.

Despite a club that employs a five-star staff including master chefs, the members prefer a casual atmosphere. In what must be an escape from their normally buttoned-up lives, many prefer to walk around in T-shirts and jeans versus collared shirts and slacks. After all, they need to be comfortable when they’re flying in by helicopter.

Our insider says that the initiation fee is $300,000 and will likely jump to $500,000. Annual dues are around $20-$25,000. The guest policy is very restrictive, “almost to the point of secrecy,” he says, but celebrities and big-name athletes are a common sight. But even if you were lucky enough to somehow score an invite to Due Process, you probably wouldn’t see anyone besides your group out there. It gets as little as two to four players a day.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Brian Noser

« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2004, 01:14:31 PM »
Ryan the hole you are talking about seem to have been posted already. in post for by John.  Mr pernicheros house. it it is in malibu and looks to have t green and tees. Unless there is another one? but that course is in malibu. It must be nice to have that kind of money.

rjsimper

« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2004, 01:22:05 PM »
Ryan the hole you are talking about seem to have been posted already. in post for by John.  Mr pernicheros house. it it is in malibu and looks to have t green and tees. Unless there is another one? but that course is in malibu. It must be nice to have that kind of money.

Nope- looks like a different one that I am talking about - this one is in a back yard of someones house, and has little more than a green, a bunker, and a tee box if I recall- perhaps more accurately its a pitching green in someones back yard, but it qualifies as a par 3 to me!

George Pazin

« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2004, 01:28:16 PM »
Golf Digest ran an article about this sort of course a couple years ago - I used to gaze at it wistfully when work was dragging me down. :)

I think Charles Schwab has his own course somewhere, in either Montana or Hawaii or some other rich person haven.

Doug S -

Envy is one of the seven deadly sins, is it not? :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

David_Tepper

« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2004, 02:06:18 PM »
George Pazin-

I believe Charles Schwab has a golf course of his own in Montana AND is building one in  Hawaii as well.

If Envy is one of the 7 sins, where does that leave greed and gluttoney?

DT

George Pazin

« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2004, 02:20:13 PM »
Way up on the list.

Of course, one man's greed is not necessarily another's. One of the costs of freedom and liberty.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2004, 02:29:24 PM »
George,

Charles Schwab has The Stock Farm in Montana and Nanea on the Kona Coast, not necessarily private, but with a small coterie of friends as members.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2004, 02:50:37 PM »
I think Nanea is supposed to open this summer.  One web site said it cost $50 million to build.

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2004, 07:42:04 PM »
Evan-  I think the course you're thinking about near Chicago is Rich Harvest, on the owner's estate. I was hoping someone could tell us more about it.

Rich Harvest Links is indeed located outside Chicago on the west side somewhere.  I dont have it right in front of me, and I dont know Chicago that well.

I may get some of the details a little wrong, but since no one else seemed to be answering your questions here goes.

Mr. Rich I heard invented something used by all the major investment markets around the world, I did not know it was the tickertape machine.  That would explain it.  He is a very down to earth guy who is deeply involved with a program that brings golf to inner city kids (before the First Tee was around) and hopes to bring them out from the inner city now and give them opportunities on his course.  He started building his own golf course much the same way as some of the above mentioned ones with multiple tee box locations playing to certian greens.  

Then  as the years went by and he aquired other farms ajacent to his property his plans began to take on bigger shape.  He now has a wonderful 18 hole course, that to the best of my knowledge he has mostly designed himself.  I think over the years he has had various named architects out there to look at certain things but by and large it is his own doing.  And it is quite impressive.  I believe Mr. Rich is looking (or may alreday be) having additional members of the club as I think there were looking at doing some kind of conference center area, lodging/cabins deal with one of the farm houses and barns on property.  The course recently made its debut in the Top 100 in GD at #99.  Really pretty heady stuff for a course mostly designed by the owner from what I know.

I would be interested in hearing from anyone that has the Top 100 list as to who they credit for the design of the course on that list.
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2004, 08:22:40 PM »
Another one that previously was an estate course is in Savannah GA.  It is now a highend development named Ford Plantation.  

A person from the middle east with big oil money owned the estate in the 1980's and had Pete Dye design and build a course.  A good friend of mine would play out there a few times each winter, he said that they had guards at the gate with automatic weapons.  Apparently they bought the place as a place to escape to if the middle east ever really errupted.  Story I heard was that they began having visa issues and this is how it became a development.

Close, it was owned by some Sheik or something.  But here is what I have heard about the story.

The property apparently originally dates to a deed to John Harn from 1734 when it was called Cherry Hill Plantation, it was burned to the ground by Federal troops in December of 1864.  Henry Ford aquired the property in the 1920's.  Supposedly Mr Ford invented the tractor out there, among other inventions.  I also heard that during one of the world wars rubber shortages he and Henry Firestone were looking at a experimental method of producing synthetic rubber from some process that used lettuce as one of it raw materials.  So they were secretly growing lettuce out there and doing some kind of experimentation, it never became viable.  So there is some really interesting history on the property from day one through the present.  

Anyway the Sheik came in and bought the property.  He did not even play golf, but his friends told him he needed to have a golf course in order to have a "complete" retreat.  So in the early 1980's he comissioned Pete Dye to build him a course.  I have heard to the tune of like $17M to build.  Now remember this is in early 80's dollars so it is like a fortune.  The high cost can be partly attributable to the layout itself.  The front nine winds its way through live oaks and around small lakes and it georgous, but the back nine is where they spent the lions share of the money.  The back nine was basically created out of think air (or should I say water) it was built out through the original rice (and I believe Indigo as well)patties and where they wanted a holes they brought in dirt and made holes.  The entire back nine is treeless and windswept darting out and around in this large wetlands.  Suffice it to say I dont think you would get this course built today.

The course was used spareingly when the sheik had guests that were coming over.  supposedly the grounds crew would make sure it was ready when they got there, not always keeping it in exact playing condition everyday if no one was going to be there.

Here is where the story goes from just mildly strange to downright bizzare.  The Sheik apparently got pretty heavily involved in the whole junk bond deal in the 80's and overnight went from friend of the state with some friends in very high places, to persona non-grata, and americas most wanted.  Somehow he got out of the country but would not be able to ever return.  So the government came in and siezed the entire property (and thus the armed guards at the gate, which I have also heard the story) and eventually the course was left fallow, and basically reverted to nature.

Eventually someone came in and bought the property somehow many years later, and started selling a very limited number of lots out there.  They brought in Pete Dye to re-discover the course and bring it back out of nature.  They now have I think come to the point where they are selling a few more lots than origianlly thought, but it is still very exclusive.  The golf club was originally referred to as Ogeechee Golf Club (The Ogeechee River is back there around the back nine) with the surrounding property refered to as Ford Plantation.  They have now opened their permanent clubhouse next to the seperate proshop building (to hit on a previous thread) and are just refering to the club as Ford Plantation Golf Club now.

The course is vintage early Dye with railroad sleepers bulkheads, some great cape holes, and tiny little greens (which are fine because although more people see it now than when the Sheik owned it, it still gets very little play)

Here are a few pictures from the back nine.  I dont have the scorecard in front of me so I dont have exact yardages, but I think I remember which holes are which (I may be off by one or so).

Par 3 12th, a good mid to long iron shot.

Approach shot into the par 4 13th hole.

Greensite of the par 5 finishing hole.  The new clubhouse behind as well as the smaller but eminently comfortable proshop building is visible on the right.

If there is interest, and when I get more time I have other pictures from throughout the course that I can post possibly on a seperate thread for Ford Plantation.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2004, 08:32:52 PM by Daryl K. Boe »
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

SPDB

« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2004, 08:51:10 PM »
Rich designed consolidated information systems for trading desks/floors. If it was the ticker tape he invented would be a) deceased, or, if still alive, b) poor

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2004, 09:20:33 PM »
I introduced Ran to Jerry Rich, a very nice fellow and a good golfer in early 2003, or was it 2002 ???.  Ran wanted to do an interview and Jerry consented, but their schedules weren't in harmony at the time.

Jerry invited us to pay a visit to Rich Harvest but the schedules haven't been co-ordinated.
Perhaps this summer Ran will get the chance and be able to put together one of his wonderful reviews of the golf course and the driving force behind it.
The golf course was a labor of love for Jerry.
He's one of those unique men who pursued their golf dream.

Steve Shaffer,

You're pretty much on target regarding Due Process.

Ferkauf,

The Gordon golf course isn't a traditional golf course, it's one of those hybrid golf courses with multiple tees playing to a limited number of greens.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2004, 09:24:12 PM by Patrick_Mucci »

SL_Solow

« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2004, 09:30:54 PM »
Rich Harvest is located in Sugar Grove in the far western suburbs of Chicago.  It is largely self designed by Jerry Rich who has admitted a few members.  It is incredibly well maintained and well run.  Its architectural merit is a matter of debate.  Jerry is one of the great gentlemen in golf who has devoted a tremendous amount of time, money, and effort to charitable causes connected with golf.  In particular he is a leading light in developing junior golf and in particular extending junior golf to the underprivileged.  If you get a chance to visit Rich Harvest, don't miss the car collection.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back