News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

noonan

Masters is ruined
« on: April 02, 2004, 02:44:35 PM »
Who cares about par?

Let the pros hit 20 under.

There will not be any back nine charges.

We will now be waiting for back nine collapses.

Lets draw straws - loser must sneak in and cut the rough!

JK

JSlonis

Re:Masters is ruined
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2004, 03:13:11 PM »
Okay...I'll be the first to bite...and disagree.

The Masters or more specifically the Augusta National golf course has changed...but...it is FAR from ruined.

Look on the bright side...thanks to Martha, you have another year of COMMERCIAL FREE tournament coverage :)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2004, 03:14:48 PM by JSlonis »

JakaB

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2004, 03:23:13 PM »
I just checked the weather forecast and we should be in for one of the most historically significant Masters of all time.   I will never understand you people on how you are able to say out of one side of your mouth that technology is out of whack to a point where even you and your friends hit 340 yd drives all day....and then AGNC has been lengthend to a point that charges are obsolete.   I think it comes from your desire to play a course once under a given set of conditions and move on in your all knowing way.  The last couple of years it has rained and rained during the tournament...but that is so easy to ignore from your cozy davenports....come on JK...really what was your motivation for such a rediculous premise as your title states...

Pete Buczkowski

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2004, 03:47:45 PM »
I think its still a great event.  Most people on this board prefer the old Augusta - so be it, and for the most part I agree.  But, if we can ignore the old design and its principles, we should be able to respect the current course as a good major test.  Is Shinnecock ruined because they are pinching in the fairways?  IMO No, it will still be very entertaining and a grand test of golf.

ed_getka

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2004, 04:21:41 PM »
I agree with John. We don't really know how the changes have affected the course because of the rain. I suspect that it will be excruciatingly tough, but we'll all be watching.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

noonan

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2004, 06:24:20 PM »
I say there is nothing wrong with a birdie fest.....and we will see a single digit under par winner.

Mike Weir won last year........with all due respect, yawn.......I liked it when Tiger was setting records.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2004, 09:01:43 PM »
Jerry Kessler,

Have you ever walked or played the golf course ?

Not as part of the gallery, but, actually on the playing surfaces ?

danielfaleman

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2004, 09:10:21 PM »
I have played the course four times: 1977, 79, 85, 98. I don't like the changes either. One has to really wonder why such a "great" course needs to be changed so often; have the "updates" (to use a USGA term) been so flawed in their execution?

David_Tepper

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2004, 11:28:18 PM »
It would be interesting to know what most of the ANGC members think (not that they would ever wish to incur the rath of his almighty Hootie-ness by giving their opinions) about seeing their course altered every year or so to service the agenda of the Masters. Since the age of the average AGNC member is most likely 60+ (probably closer to 70+!), I doubt the course plays to short or to easy for the vast majority of them!  

noonan

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2004, 01:25:41 AM »
Jerry Kessler,

Have you ever walked or played the golf course ?

Not as part of the gallery, but, actually on the playing surfaces ?
No....however, the changes are too many.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2004, 08:13:14 AM »
Jerry Kessler,

How do you know if you've never been there prior to or after the changes.

If you're going to draw a conclusion, especially one that is derogatory, don't you think you at least owe it to intellectual honesty to have at least seen the course in person, pre and post changes, before making a wild pronouncement that doesn't contain one iota of fact based on personal experience ?

JakaB

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2004, 06:34:28 PM »
I think it is time to put the Fazio and Masters bashing to bed...

Jeff Fortson

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2004, 06:43:13 PM »
Do you "hit 20 under" or "shoot 20 under"?

Jeff F.
#nowhitebelt

tonyt

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2004, 07:14:09 PM »
No back nine charges! Try telling Mickelson, Els and Choi that. Or Sergio.

Today demonstrated that despite the varying opinions on the new Augusta, the course is able to provide hole locations that kill, and those that tempt and excite. Today they gave us all the excitement we could ever have wished for.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2004, 08:02:48 PM »
It appears the thesis of "Fazio changes to ANGC ruin the tournament" are wrong.  It was exciting as ever today.  This in part to the two par 5's that always excite, and moving the tee up on a few holes (16) for more birdies, and `18 (bringing bunkers into play - Ernie hit them, Phil did not)

....Discuss among yourselves.....
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

George Pazin

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2004, 11:32:09 PM »
Much like it was too early to say all the changes were bad, it's also too early to say one good tourney makes all the changes good. 3 or 4 boring ones still outweigh one great one for me.

Additionally, there were reports on TGC that tees were moved up and holes were made more accessible to encourage a charge, so maybe you guys are mistaken in lauding the changes. Maybe they weren't necessary at all. I do recall Phil stating last night in interviews that some of the changes have taken away decision making by encouraging safe play rather than swashbuckling recovery. Els said something similar.

It is rather funny to me that the "defenders" of Fazio and ANGC's ego driven leadership are quick to say you can't criticise things too soon or without personal experience, but then quickly shift to attack mode when one good thing happens in their favor.

Time will tell. Looking forward to next year already.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2004, 11:36:51 PM by George Pazin »
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

TEPaul

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2004, 06:05:55 AM »
One little minor detail I think I noticed, particularly yesterday, was the issue of that very unpopular item on here---ANGC's  new rough! If that's what they call rough, I'd say big damn deal. I might even aim for that stuff!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back