News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom_Doak

Re: Thanks to GCA.com for still finding courses we need to see
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2016, 08:17:56 PM »
Just this week I saw the name Flempton for the first time.  And I thought I knew most of what one needed to know about UK courses.  A nine hole J.H. Taylor course near Mildenhall, with 88 bunkers for nine holes!

David Davis

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2016, 04:54:46 AM »
I'm not talking about greens a bit softer than normal. I'm talking about drives embedding in the fairway. It's raining every day here in Ireland and there is none of that.
As for Astoria,  how many links have trees lining most fairways.

Garland, hardly any trees at Astoria and unfortunately I can think of at least two links courses where some greens chair or someone at some point thought it was fun to plant some trees. Adding to the unfortunately one of them is my home club, once they are there you would be surprised how many Oregonian tree huggers live around the world and make it their life's goal to protect them, even where they don't belong.

Astoria and Gearhart both have sand based turf as they were built on sand dunes. Whether they may have dirt capped the fairways I don't know but the club could tell you that. They wouldn't be the first links courses to do something like that either in an effort (due to lack of knowledge I'd guess) to grow the grass faster upon building.
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

David Davis

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2016, 04:56:22 AM »
David, love your calls, but those are not really "under the radar" courses.  El Saler was world top 100 and the other four are pretty well traveled.  Even I have played a couple of them!

Jeff, you are of course extremely well travelled. But have you played those courses? I bet less than 5% of the people on this board have played them, that's 5% of people that have played nearly everywhere.

Richard Fisher

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2016, 07:32:44 AM »
Tom - great minds re Flempton! See the recent thread on the 'best-9-holer' postings...

Tom_Doak

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2016, 08:49:24 AM »
Tom - great minds re Flempton! See the recent thread on the 'best-9-holer' postings...

Richard:  Yes, that was where I saw it mentioned.  I guess I didn't refer to it specifically enough.  Anyway, I was very surprised that with all the hoopla around Mildenhall, I've never seen an article comparing the two, or indeed any mention of Flempton before yours.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2016, 03:26:55 PM »
Enough David! As Sean wrote,  even clay can be firm in dry weather. It's obvious you have played in dry weather,  otherwise you wouldn't be flogging this dead horse.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

David Davis

« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2016, 03:55:25 PM »
Enough David! As Sean wrote,  even clay can be firm in dry weather. It's obvious you have played in dry weather,  otherwise you wouldn't be flogging this dead horse.

Garland, we can agree to disagree.

Sean was merely stating the obvious which has nothing to do with sand based dunes land. Are you really trying to say that Astoria and Gearhard have clay based turf? These are excerpts from their respective websites:

"Astoria Golf and Country Club began in 1923 and is considered one of the northwest's premier private golf clubs. The unforgettable and challenging 18-hole golf course, built on top of ancient sand dunes near the Pacific Ocean, is one of Oregon's hidden gems and host to the annual Oregon Coast Invitational Tournament."

"a clatch of homesick Scotsmen confounded the locals by burying tin cans into the dunes and then knocking balls with sticks until they dropped into the cans."

Never seen or heard of any clay based sand dunes but heck Garland, if your dead horse was buried in a clay patch here then who am I to argue with that.

Sean's point would likely be one to pay attention to given the apparent bounciness of your home course which unless it's Bandon or perhaps located in Oregon's high desert in Bend is most certainly clay based.

Ciao

Added later:

Garland, this may explain your perception of Astoria. I checked on the grass, the fairways are winter ryegrass. This would not be an ideal choice for a links course given it's coarse nature. In fact, in Scotland they aim to manage ryegrass infestation due to it's lesser playability and clump forming.

This could of been a conscious choice of the club at some point due to infestation but I'm only guessing. It would not take away from it being a links course. It would however, affect playability as compared to fine grasses you will find in the UK, Scotland and Ireland.

See below:

Rygrass control in Links turfA fine example of beautiful links turf is the 16th green on the Jubilee. It is a blend of fine fescue, bent and some annual meadow grass. Unfortunately other greens on the Links are not as pure and are infested with a broad leaved grass known as ryegrass.[/color][/font]
[/size][/color]The main problem with ryegrass is the clump forming, growth nature of the plant. It dominates the natural finer leaved varieties resulting in bumpy surfaces, especially during spring. It also doesn’t cut well and when wet, the leaves can be stripped, leaving a fibrous white sinewy material, which is visually poor and causes poor playability on the courses.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 04:15:56 PM by David Davis »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2016, 05:31:27 PM »
David,

Saying that even clay plays firm in dry weather in no way implies a course is not on sand. Perhaps you should read more carefully before wasting your and our time on your posts.
I repeat, drives at Gearhart make deep pitch marks in the fairway, and don't roll out, or sometimes embed. NOT A LINKS! The soil has been enriched far to much. Naturally or artificially I don't know.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back