News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Erdmann

Re:St Enodoc photo tour
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2004, 03:56:59 PM »
Pete, thanks for posting these pictures of a fantastic course.  Definitely moved up my "must-play" list!  One thing that stands out to me from these photos is the bunkering on the par 3 15th.  Is it just the photo, or is the bunkering on 15 completely out of character with the rest of the course?  To me, the bunkering looks very flashed up and more in character with a modern American course.  Any idea if these bunkers are original or have been redone recently?

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2004, 04:42:52 PM »
I must agree with the Naffer that St Enodoc is truely a magical place. My wife was born in Lytham St Annes, but her family moved to Cornwall when she was 12. You can imagine how dissapointed I was when I finally got my Confidential Guide and found out that one of England's finest links was only a 30 minute drive away; and I was going to places like St Mellions! My thanks go out to Tom Doak for this greatest of all travel guides for golfers. His description had long signaled what a special place this is and NAF's posts earlier last year only increased my hunger. While popping into the clubhouse for some refreshment after that round I mentioned to one of the members what an architectural masterpiece they had there. He said that stuff was way over his head but sent over a fellow who would be more in tune to dissecting the virtues of the course. He was an avid club and ball collector (he found several valuable specimens in the creek short of the 5th green when its course changed in the winter) and we had a nice chat. He later informed me that he was the father of former British Amateur Champion Scott Godfrey. We had no accomadation for the night and he led us into the boondocks for dinner and a room in the hamlet of St. Minver. These type of magical things happen all too often when traveling the English countryside looking for golf, refreshment and conversation. I would encourage all GCAer's to think of England as a golf destination: uncrowded courses, with great architecture, at very reasonable rates.

Dick, the irrigation system was installed in 1998, the members were sick of the course "turning white". There is a large detention pond on the dune to the right of the first hole; thankfully the water is used to keep the grass alive not green. They experienced a major drought last summer and the courses with no irrigation were litterally white, not a problem for the purists on this site, but stressful to the turf. I think this was the Clubs prime motivation, keeping the turf healthy.

George, I used a digital Cannon S-30 3.2 Mega pixel. It's compact, fits nicely in golf bag or pocket, has a rechargable nicad battery, but the drawback is that the viewfinder doesn't show how the picture is actually framed and in daylight the LCD display is hard to see.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2004, 07:58:24 PM by Pete Lavallee »
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Matt_Ward

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2004, 06:49:10 PM »
Pete:

Given the places you have played in England how would you stack St. Enodoc up against them? If you can rank order them it would be much obliged.

Thanks ...

P.S. Do you have total yardage for the course from max back and the CR if available. Appreciate it! ;)

peter_p

« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2004, 07:17:17 PM »
I had the pleasure to enjoy a round there in September 1997, very few people on the course. Had to take cover behind the stone wall beyond the church as lightning jarred my fillings and shorted out camcorder circuitry for a few days. Four is definitely driveable, but there is a severe penalty OB right, lost left) for off line shots. The bunker on 6 may be driveable, but I have some photos of someone on belay trying to get to his ball, which was declared unplayable. You may not be able to play the medal tees.

For the foolhardy, St Edenoc (due west of Exeter at Rock) is probably a mere 3.5 hour and 180 mile drive from Painswick.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2004, 08:47:48 PM »
Pete,

Thanks for those great photos.

I still have not been back to St. Enodoc since December, 1982.  It's the single course I would most like to play again.  But I'm too busy!

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2004, 08:59:35 PM »
Matt;

The Medal tee yardage is 6243, with a Standard Scratch Score (SSS) of 70 verse par 69. We were not allowed to play the Medal tees. I mentioned this to a member afterward and he agreed that it seemed a bit rude , but the club wants to keep the holiday makers and societies from tearing them up. Most Clubs let us play the tips; The Addington also strickly relegated us to the yellows. According to my Stroke saver it is 268 to reach the barber pole over the Himilaya bunker on #6, however to carry the sandhill and not be stuck on the downslope it looks like 313 yards.  Here's how I'd rate the trip:

St Enodoc-It's links golf and has that magical quality, the only one we played twice
West Sussex-sublime heathlands golf, difficult to score on
Royal Ashdown Forest-unique bunkerless golf in the heather
Woking-love what Doak said: you need the soul of an architect to appreciate it
Saunton East-Fowler really brings out the ground game
The Addington-canyon golf in the suberbs of London
Royal North Devon-like stepping into a time machine, very difficult greens to read
Isle of Purbeck-Some outstanding Colt holes with awesome views
Saunton West-like the Cashen you ask yourself: why aren't I on the old course, would get more respect elsewhere
Shanklin & Sandown-handful of good holes, greens lack interest

Hope this helps.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2004, 09:01:57 PM by Pete Lavallee »
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

David_Tepper

« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2004, 10:09:09 PM »
Matt Ward-

Pete Lavallee was able to dig up his St. Endoc course guide before I found mine.

I know course ratings and yardage interest you, but that is not what St. Endoc is all about. Other English links I have played include Birkdale, Hoylake, Lytham St. Anne's & Hillside. They are all far sterner tests of golf and are suitable championship venues. I think St. Endoc hosted the English Ladies Amateur a summer or two ago, stronger players than that would overpower the course.

None of those others courses has the charm of St. Endoc and none was a much fun for me (a 14-handicap golfer) to play.
I also played nearby Trevose and was not trerribly impressed.

DT    

Ed Tilley

Re: St Enodoc photo tour
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2008, 01:22:23 PM »
bump

John Mayhugh

« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2008, 06:35:27 PM »
Ed,
Thanks for resurrecting this.  Pete's pictures and description are awesome.  This is one place I've got to play.

I've enjoyed seeing some of these old threads brought back up.  Many of us haven't been around all that long relatively speaking.

Stuart Hallett

« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2008, 04:04:33 AM »
Pete,

Oh the west country ! Thanks for the pics.
I originate from Somerset & have spent many weekends on the cornish coast. St Enodoc is magical ! The course winds through a strip of rugged dunes... and then a sudden break in the landscape... golf stops and agriculture takes over. The transition is perfect & very natural, thus contributing to "the sense of place" as NAF said.

I recommend a trip across to Padstow for fresh fish & chips & some great views of the estuary. The cornish coast is often spectacular but also very busy. I've heard from friends that St Ives is the new London-on-Sea.

Pics from 2005.

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2008, 08:06:22 AM »
Thanks for bumping this thread.  I wasn't around when Pete first posted those pictures.  If I had seen it before I wouldn't have needed as much persuasion to take my clubs to Cornwall when on holiday there in 2006.

I had a magical day there, a very friendly club and the course was far from busy for the time of year (June).  2006 was a dry summer in England (remember Hoylake for the Open?) and St Enodoc was equally firm and fast.  I'm eagerly looking forward to a return visit at some stage (future Buda anyone?)

I would recommend Padstow as a base if staying in Cornwall, plenty of restaurants to choose from, including four of Rick Stein's.  The fish and chips are almost as good as at Anstruther. My game at St Enodoc came about as I had given my wife a voucher for a day at Rick Stein's Seafood School as a present.  That certainly increased the effective cost of the green fee but it was well worth it ;D
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

George Pazin

« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2008, 10:23:16 AM »
Thanks for the bump, and thanks Stuart for the additional photos.

I can't figure out if I'm more open minded or less for liking the photos. I'll have to ask Matt what my opinion is.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

JMorgan

« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2008, 10:35:35 AM »
I had a rather salient dream last night that my wife transported our family while I was sleeping to an old stone house looking down onto St. Enodoc #10, so I awoke and walked out of the house into an incredibly idyllic view! 

But then I soon realized that she forgot to pack my clothing.

Ed Tilley

« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2008, 10:48:31 AM »
Pete,

I don't think I've ever seen a picture that makes me want to get in a car right now and drive to a course more than this one. St.Enodoc is truly a wonderful place.

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2008, 11:24:31 AM »
Ed

That is a truly wonderful picture of a links golf course.

I wish I could get in my car & go right now!!
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back