News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jimmy Muratt

For those who have seen the sites of Gil Hanse's Boston Golf Club and Coore & Crenshaw's Old Sandwich.... do they share similar characteristics and topography?  

Did Gil Hanse talk at all about Boston Golf Club at the winter meeting at Baltusrol?  I have heard vague descriptions of the sites and both sound quite good.  Supposedly, they're fairly close to each other, 30 miles or so.  

Based on raw site alone, which land has more potential and is better suited to golf?

dfrey

Where is the site for Boston Golf Club?  I know exactly where Old Sandwich is......and I dare say BGC probably does not have a nicer piece of property.

DTaylor18

BGC is in Hingham I believe, on the South Shore.  About 25 minutes from Plymouth depending on how fast you drive.

Dan_Callahan

Boston Golf Club is in Hingham, not far from Black Rock Country Club, a private course by Brian Silva that opened in 2002 (initiation fees are something like $150k). Black Rock received some good reviews, but the land in Hingham in general isn't nearly as dramatic as the sites for C&C's most acclaimed courses. It will be interesting to see how BGC turns out.

Top100Guru

It is my understanding that both Ben and Bill passed on the site/project for BGC in favor of the site at Old Sandwich, again, this is "my understanding" and I have not heard it directly from "their lips to my ears, however, one of Ben's best buddies is an aquantance of mine and has relayed as much to me in our converastions......Just food for thought!!

Joel_Stewart

I spoke with Bill Coore about a year ago when Old Sandwich was under construction and he was excited about the site.  He said it was set back from the water but had interesting natural sand dunes which are different than Friars Head?

I spoke with someone close to the club last week that said they are probably going to have a soft opening late in the summer.

Brad Swanson

Someone posted a few pics of Old Sandwich under construction last summer.  The only thing I remember is some very unsightly powerline towers directly in the field of view. :-X

Cheers,
Brad Swanson

DTaylor18

If I remember correctly, Michael Moore has walked the site and taken some pictures, so perhaps he will chime in.  Golf season is still far away in Maine!

Top100Guru

Joel;

You are correct...as I am supposed to go up in late July for a private event at Old Sandwich........weather and grow-in permitting....

bmitchell

I am a resident of the South Shore and have walked both. I spoke with Dave Axland when I first visited Old Sandwich and he explained that C and C was going to do BGC but became concerned that BGC was not going to get the permits they needed to move forward ( lots of wetlands) and so they moved on the OS project. Dave urged me to go walk BGC as he had just been up to see it and said that Gil Hanse was doing "great things up there". I went out and walked the front 9 at BGC last fall ( which is quite far along) and I can tell you that I was blown away by some of the stuff he was doing. I was expecting a basic parkland layout but the elevation changes are very good and he has made use of the sandy scrub soil to great effect. Having played Black Rock a number of times, for my money there's no comparison...BGC is much better. They do have some routing issues ( Cushing Street bisects the front and back nine) but to my untrained eye ( I'm a newbie here) it looked great. Old Sandwich on the other hand looks good as well and the site is great ( great old buildings, a lake, carriage house etc), I did notice the powerlines as well and several of the holes are very close to Route 3. The traffic was noticable in the late fall after the leaves had fallen, it was less of a problem when I visited in the Spring ( anyone who has played PineHills will know what I'm talking about). I tried to start a thread here awhile back about these 2 courses being close together ( 30 Min) and looking for similar members. Coore and Crenshaw have the name recognition and that will clearly help OS, but I think a lot of people will be surpised by what's going on at BGC and I urge anyone reading this to go check it out. Either way you slice it, they will both be great clubs, I just hope both can attract enough folks to be successful.    

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back