News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Phil McDade

Re: Milwaukee Country Club -- pictorial essay
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2016, 08:32:41 PM »
Some sad news to report: Manuel de la Torre, the longtime head professional at Milwaukee CC and one of the more beloved figures in golf in Wisconsin, has passed away.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/golf/admired-golf-teacher-manuel-de-la-torre-dies-at-94-b99712768z1-376980051.html

de la Torre was 94. He became the head pro at Milwaukee CC in 1951 and never left -- 65 years!

He was the epitome of a golf pro -- teaching Hall of Famers to members simply looking to improve their game a bit. As good of a pro as he was, by all accounts, he was a better person. He'll be greatly missed in Wisconsin golf circles.

Keith Buntrock

« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2016, 11:25:41 PM »
He was teaching on the range at MCC as recently as last fall. Pretty incredible.

RDecker

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2016, 07:42:02 AM »
Great looking track, but let's get out the chainsaws!

Jason Thurman

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2016, 08:26:30 AM »
GCA: Where everyone believes they can fix one of the two or three best courses in the Midwest* based on a few photographs.

* Accolade bestowed by Ran in his Courses by Country essay
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 09:28:20 AM by Jason Thurman »
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2016, 09:40:16 AM »
Sorry to hear of the passing of their long time pro. I really loved my one visit here and it is certainly a place I need to come back and see. IMHO, it is underrated.
Mr Hurricane

Terry Lavin

« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2016, 10:02:20 AM »
In a similar longevity vein, this year marks the 70th year that Dick Carparelli has been a golf professional at Beverly Country Club.  He is 99 this year and is down to one day a week, but as recently as two years ago, he was at the club five days a week giving lessons.  He started at Beverly the year that "It's a Wonderful Life" was released, one year after the end of the war, one year after the Cubs were last in the World Series.  We South Side Beverly guys are glad that the good guys won the war and glad that the angel Clarence jumped from the bridge to save George Bailey.

Most of us aren't troubled by the fecklessness of the Cubs in the intervening years, but they may not be saying, "there's always next year" given the talent they have on the North Side this year.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

RJ_Daley

« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2016, 09:45:12 PM »
I just saw this Phil.  I remember once walking into Amato's on Park St. and Mr. De la Torre, Steve Caravello, Gigi Schiro and a few other guys were all having "spaghetti on the board".  I was on-duty and just stopped for a second, but they invited me to sit in and have some pasta.  But, I had to go...
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Paul Richards

« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2018, 10:43:33 PM »
Dick Carparelli will be sorely missed a The Beverly Country Club.  Godspeed, sir.
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back