News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Broadmoor CC course profile is posted
« on: July 02, 2001, 07:23:00 AM »
Pete Dye has been a long time admirer of the greens at Broadmoor and for good reason.

However, with 135 (!) bunkers, it is the bunkering that makes Broadmoor seem unique to me within the Ross family of courses.

Can anyone think of any inland Ross course (I assume Seminole has more) that has (or had) more bunkers than here? I can't. Tom, how many did Gulp Mills ever have?

Of course, there are no brownie points for wasted extra bunkers and that is not the case here: these are well placed, serve a purpose, and create plenty of strategic interest.

Cheers,

redanman

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2001, 07:26:00 AM »
Is Gulp Mills the name of the 19th at Gulph Mills?  

T_MacWood

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2001, 09:34:00 AM »
Ran
I think Aronimink had close to 200 bunkers. An old map of Pinehurst #2 from 1923 shows well over 100 bunkers and Congress Lake had 100+.

cardyin

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2001, 12:46:00 PM »
I began playing Broadmoor more than 40 years ago when it also was reputed as having by far the best-conditioned greens in the area.
It is sited on a basically flat piece of property (although there is some roll on the south end of the course), which may help explain Ross's plentiful use of bunkers to add interest.  The members have not touched the greens in all that time, which is admirable because many of them are very vexing. Also, except for adding sand and performing some renovation, they have not touched the bunkers.  I have been a member of the Donald Ross Society since shortly after it was organized, and it is a source of pride that Broadmoor has remained true to Ross's design and to the construction of his greens complexes.  Anyone who reveres Ross's work owes himself a trip to Broadmoor (if he can arrange to get on it.)  It also seems that the old saw that Ross preferred to start golfers off easily with warm-up holes doesn't jibe with No. 1, a 440-yard par 4 which is among the most difficult holes on the course.
(see, also, the first hole at York Country Club in Maine, where the lst hole is a 215-yard par 3 with an out-of-bounds road hard by the entire left side of the  hole and at the edge of the green.)

T_MacWood

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2001, 01:19:00 PM »
Excellent profile. Once the trees are cleaned up and the design/bunkers is able to shine through, what other course do you think Broadmoor CC would be comparable to?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2001, 06:20:00 PM »
Ran, is the new profile of Colorado Springs Broadmoor or Indiana Broadmoor?

The Colorado course has biggest breaks I've ever seen on greens that appeared to be fairly flat. To read the greens, you have to look at the huge cliff above the course which houses the Air Force Academy's carrillon.  Putts toward the cliff are unbelievably slow, unbeievably slick away from the cliff, and putts at an angle break 2 or 3 feet when they appear to be flat. Great design.  

Ted_Sturges

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2001, 08:51:00 PM »
The course write-up is on Broadmoor C.C. in Indianapolis.

TS

Ran Morrissett

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2001, 04:40:00 AM »
Tom,

Ted and I compared it to Baltusrol Upper (which is a great favorite of both of ours) on a hole for hole basis, and post restoration, Broadmoor would be highly competitive. A solid "7" for sure once the work is complete.

Broadmoor could be in the Pine Needles/Mid Pines class of Ross courses, and I for one think it would be a great host for the U.S. Women's Open.

How far is Indy from you? You need to make the drive so you can do a pre and post restoration comparison.

Cheers,

Ted_Sturges

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2001, 07:25:00 PM »
To:  Tom MacWood

Let's plan for you to visit Indy late summer/early fall for you to tour Broadmoor.  I'd love for you to see a pre-restoration view so you can appreciate what will have been accomplished the next couple of years.  You still have my email address?

TS

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back