News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Tom Huckaby

Re:Spyglass or Spanish Bay
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2007, 09:57:33 AM »
Gents - read his posts - he's already going to Pasatiempo and Pebble Beach, and says he's playing all the private clubs - so no need to advise there - he wants to know what ELSE to play.

I have some questions though...

1.  Why the "hate" for Spanish Bay?  Sure it's not what it might have been, but man if you "hate" that course, you must have extremely high standards.  I certainly prefer Spyglass Hill, but I'd never say I hate Spanish Bay... that is unless you base this on price, in which case the word might come out.  But outside of that, it's a pretty darn good course, hard by the ocean.  What's the beef?

2.  For Jed - why is the new Bayonet such a great "track"?  I loved the old Bayonet... from what I see the new Bayonet is not an improvement, but rather a removal of all of the beastly charm the old course had.  Please explain... I haven't been there, and I could use some positive vibes.

TH

Adam Clayman

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2007, 10:01:29 AM »
Brad,
 The nature of the soil at Spy is the antithesis of Spanish'. On the rare occasion that either course isn't over watered, there are running opportunities, on both.

Considering the state of the game today, what "green" course isn't Target golf?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

tlavin

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2007, 10:04:28 AM »
Spanish Bay is only an also-ran because of the nearby competition.  Were it 100 miles away, it would probably be better received.  As it is, people have a number of reasons to criticize the layout and/or routing, but it is an enjoyable and scenic golf course.

Is it better than Spyglass?  Not in a million years, so to answer the question, play Spy and get the scorecard from Spanny Bay.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2007, 10:06:49 AM »
Spanish Bay is only an also-ran because of the nearby competition.  Were it 100 miles away, it would probably be better received.  As it is, people have a number of reasons to criticize the layout and/or routing, but it is an enjoyable and scenic golf course.

Very well said, Terry.  That's why I can't get my head around someone "hating" the course....

BVince

« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2007, 12:31:48 PM »
Thanks for all of the suggestions, I am in the "field" training all week so I may be slow to respond.

How do you guys feel about MPCC?  The pictures of it in 'guess where part 4' look like its a very fun and interesting course.  I am strongly considering PG now, but I just don't want it to feel overlooked when we recap the week.  Ideally, I would like to set up a round at Pebble, but unless we get lucky with a golf-only round...it is a little too much for us to stay at the resort.
If profanity had an influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be played far better than it is. - Horace Hutchinson

Tim Leahy

« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2007, 12:57:43 PM »
My five top public:
Pebble
Spyglass
Fort Ord Bayonet
Poppy Hills
Pacific Grove

I think 9 trips to Spyglass to 1 at Spanish Bay. Hate is too strong a word but I have come appreciate SB the more I have played it. It does require some local knowledge and the first time you play it the layup holes and riperian areas are a pain. Also the "what might have been" definitely comes into play the first time.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2007, 12:59:58 PM »
Byron:  both MPCC courses are excellent - I dare say each are better than Spyglass - if not better, they are right there - so if you can make that happen, jump on it.

You asked for comments on public courses so that's why I hadn't mentioned these until now....

TH

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2007, 01:21:22 PM »
Spyglass I really enjoyed more than PB, although I think I just expected too much with Pebble. Spanish Bay I liked as a course but amongst so many greats, it's not easy I suppose.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Brent Hutto

« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2007, 01:30:43 PM »
On question #1, Spyglass by far is more enjoyable, take it for what it's worth-a classic RTJsr layout with landing strip tees, huge greens and approaches, a quirky hole every once in a while and not a hint of target golf.

Ray pretty much captures my thoughts on Spyglass (I haven't seen Spanish Bay). I had a great time playing Spyglass Hill and regardless of any slagging RTJ Sr. may take here or anywhere else, I have now seen at least one piece of his work and it is very fine work indeed. That alone provided an eye-opening bit of perspective in my own GCA education. Great site, great course, great presentation. What's not to love?

Jed Peters

« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2007, 05:49:40 PM »
2.  For Jed - why is the new Bayonet such a great "track"?  I loved the old Bayonet... from what I see the new Bayonet is not an improvement, but rather a removal of all of the beastly charm the old course had.  Please explain... I haven't been there, and I could use some positive vibes.

TH

Tom:

They just did a GREAT job on the re-design. It is truely a great 9 holesThe holes are VERY challenging for the low handicapper, but fair for the high handicapper.

The bunkering was fun to play, the course is still long and challenging, but overall, I really loved that new 9 holes.

Can't explain it, but it was lots of fun.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2007, 05:53:04 PM »
Jed:

Had you played it prior to the redesign?

See, I've been playing there since the early 80s, and to me, they've just weakened it and weakened it and weakened it until sure, it's very "playable" now (or at least was before the recent redesign) but had lost all that made it unique.

See, the course used to be brutally challenging and unfair to everyone.  It was no fun at all.  But it was unique as all hell in it's brutality, and god did I love it so... as irrational as that sounds.

Lots of courses are challenging but fair... RPI the old Bayonet...

I will go check it out soon.  Maybe I'll get over my nostalgia.  I doubt it though.

:'(

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back