News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Huxford

MacKenzie's 13 codified features
« on: July 05, 2001, 10:53:00 PM »

How does Alister MacKenzie's 13th codified feature of an ideal course;

13: A course equally good over the entire playing season with the texture of greens, approaches and fairways perfect.

tie in with his 7th?

7: Beautiful surroundings with all artificial features appearing to be natural.

Did he generally like big contrasts between bunkers, rough, hazards and the actual prepared playing surfaces?

What would MacKenzie say about tufty links rough grass encroaching into the fairways? Very bad??

Tom_Doak

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2001, 07:32:00 AM »
The Doctor also wrote,

"At the great schools of golf, such as St. Andrews and Hoylake, there is no defined line between fairway and rough."

So I don't think he was big on contrast in that area.  But, several of his courses prominently feature native grasses, whether they're his idea or not.

I think that 13th point was just an idealistic comment pandering to greenkeepers and low-handicap players.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2001, 10:43:00 AM »
Tom:

Are you suggesting that #13 is not possible or desirable in many parts of the U.S.?  If that is the case, is it a function of large variances in weather condition, or the design, construction, and types of grasses used?  I've played many highly ranked golf courses, and while seldom disappointed with the design, I have encountered poor playing conditions more than a few times.  On numerous occasions, a member or host would comment "if you would only have come in June" (or another time).  Maybe the Dr. was referring to a playing season that is much shorter than what we have now.  Any thoughts?  

Aaron

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2001, 04:23:00 PM »
If I may interreupt,
I was wondering where you get this information from Hux. If from a book, could I get the title from you. Is it Mr.Doak's new one?

Aarpm

George Pazin

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2001, 04:35:00 PM »
Aaron -

I think the Good Doctor's list of 13 principles or features is included in both of his books, The Spirit of St. Andrews & Golf Architecture. If you email me your address, I'll try to dig it up from one of my books & email it to you.  sunflowr@usaor.net

It's probably in Tom D's new book, too, but my ordered copy hasn't arrived yet. :-)

Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

TEPaul

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2001, 04:49:00 PM »
If you want an answer to this question and if you want to see what Mackenzie probably thought was just about perfect conditions, perfect transitions of playing areas, perfect bunkering, perfect greens etc, etc, get Geoff Shackleford's book called "Alister MacKenzie's Cypress Point Club" and study the photos of the holes as Alister Mackenzie progresses through a round at the course.

For Alister Mackenzie then or even for us now it can't get much better than that!

Mark_Huxford

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2001, 11:42:00 PM »

Tom, in preparation for the tournament here at PB the staff are narrowing the fairways in an attempt to turn scruffy fairway edges into rough and increase resistance to scoring.

Are you saying that in Dr MacKenzie's eyes this practice is unnecessary and misguided?

The saying nothing kills strategy faster than narrow fairways is a good one in my view. Would the club be better off widening the fairways instead, repairing worn areas as they go?

---

Aaron, the 13 codified features of an ideal golf course go like this;

1: Two loops of nine.

2: A large proportion of good two shot holes, two or three drive and pitch holes and at least four one shotters (par 3s)

3: Little walking between greens and tees with a slight walk forward from the green to the next tee to allow for additional length if needed in the future.

4: Undulating fairways and greens but no hill climbing.

5: Every hole possessing a different character.

6: A minimum of blindness for approach shots.

7: Beautiful surroundings with all artifical features appearing to be natural.

8: Sufficient heroic carries from the tee but with holes planned to provide alternative routes for the weaker player who is prepared to give up a shot or portion of one to avoid a hazard.  

9: An infinite variety in the strokes so that the use of every club is required.

10: An absence of the need to look for lost balls.

11: A course so interesting that both low and high handicappers are stimulated to improve their games by attempting shots they have hiterto been unable to play.

12: A course arranged so that the high handicapper or even beginner should enjoy their round regardless of their score.

13: A course equally good over the entire playing season with the texture of greens, approaches and fairways perfect.

---

I think 2, 3 and 10 are very interesting.

2; MacKenzie does not mention par fives. Did he not like designing them or did he consider them 'two shotters', supposed to be attempted in two like the par fours?

3; He realized technology would make the ball travel further. Extending his holes was apparently alright and even encouraged?

10; He didn't like looking for his golf ball either! :-)

Mark,

Jeff_McDowell

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2001, 04:38:00 AM »
Living in Minnesota, I've always thought his 13th principle was funny.  

I've played golf in North Dakota in January, and let me tell you playing a bump and run off a sheet of ice is unpredicatble.

Jeff_McDowell

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2001, 04:43:00 AM »
I've always thought his 13th principle was funny, because I live in Minnesota.

I've also played golf in North Dakota in January, and the texture of ice is not even close to perfect.

Jeff_McDowell

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2001, 07:58:00 AM »
Sorry for the double post. I don't know how that happened.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back