News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Allen

the greatness of Quaker Ridge
« on: July 09, 2001, 09:03:00 AM »
I grew up in the NYC area and was lucky enough to know members at Quaker Ridge Golf Club and became spoiled by playing it so much and thinking 'all great courses are probably like this.' Now, as I am getting older and playing more and more golf (and subsquently more and more "great courses,") I honestly can say that Quaker Ridge is THE BEST course I have ever played.

Unlike its neighbor Winged Foot, not every par 4 is just a long, cavernously bunkered hole. Furthermore, Quaker Ridge has a greater emphasis on positioning on every shot and continually requires that the golfer think. In addition, Quaker Ridge has a greater variety of doglegs, elavations, hazard types, and hole lenghts than does that of Winged Foot. Finally, Quaker Ridge is famous for its demands that it makes on the golfer to consistently drive the ball straight. All in all, Quaker Ridge truly requires the golfer to think and use 'every club in his bag.' It is a constant examination of ones game while at no tie becoming overwhelming. The 6th and 11th holes are two of the finest, most demanding and strategic holes in the country.

I think the reason Quaker Ridge is overlooked is because it refrains from the national spotlight. If the USGA brought the open to Quaker Ridge, its magnificenly strateic layout would finally be appreciated.    

I am interested to hear about what everyone else feels about Quaker Ridge.

GeoffreyC

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2001, 09:54:00 AM »
Adam

While Quaker Ridge is not the best course I have played, it is one hell of a great course.  I think it does have quite a bit of recognition having hosted a recent Walker Cup and being on several lists (Golfweek #27 classic).  

A couple of things stand out about Quaker Ridge.  

First, they have numerous mature trees that are a sight to behold in autumn when the colors change but none of them come into play perhaps with the exception of a specimen tree on the wonderful 11th hole that you like so well.  In this one example, like the 6th hole at nearby Westchester CC, it plays a good strategic role guarding the left side. Quaker Ridge is an excellent example of proper tree management.  I have not seen Winged Foot since they removed hundreds of trees but Quaker has always been (as far as I know) a good example of what role trees should play in golf.

Second, the greens are typically Tillinghast with back to front slope and interesting contours but unlike Winged Foot they are extensions of fairways in most cases and they allow the ground game to a much larger extent (Winged Foot's greens are raised quite a bit more).  In this respect they resemble those at nearby Fenway but Fenway's greens are more severe and much more interesting with respect to internal contouring.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2001, 09:59:00 AM »
Adam,

I think those in the Metropolitan area recognize Quaker Ridge as a terrific golf course.

I'm not so sure that Quaker Ridge has refrained from the spotlight when the USGA held a Walker Cup their just a few years ago.
In addition, the club for many years has hosted a fine amateur tournament, the Hochster.

With regard to the Open, Quaker Ridge's biggest shortcoming is that it lacks any type of adequate practice facility.  
Even the Walker Cup and Hochster suffered from this missing feature, common to many Tillinghast courses.  When the 18th fairway becomes the range, it limits the field and tournament.

For many, many years Quaker Ridge was maintained like a sponge saturated with water, and I think that type of cemetary conditioning kept it from the recognition it deserved.

Hopefully, there is a movement away from "GREEN", because the golf course and its recognition will benefit from less water.

For those who play golf with a fade or slice, the first eight holes will cause your knees to shake.

Quaker has a neat short hole with a large roughed mound in the middle, you can drive it left, right near the O.B., short or long.
Great option hole.

It's a great course in its own right and needn't be compared to other courses, nor is there a need to denegrate other courses.

I would submit that the 6th hole at Winged Foot West is one of the great short par 4's in all of golf.  Remember also, that
# 9 and # 16 are par 5's for the members, and only become par 4's for the USOPEN and Anderson.  If the USOPEN hadn't come to Winged Foot, I would submit that many of the par 4's would have been left, close to their original state, and not lengthened to their current yardage.  I count 10 Doglegs on
Winged Foot West, some more pronounced than others.  Winged Foot has almost always enjoyed firm fast greens.  For many years you could see your footprints on the green as exited toward the next tee at Quaker.

Quaker Ridge is a great golf course, one that most would enjoy playing day in and day out.  It is unfortunate that adjacent land wasn't available for an adequate practice facility.  Hopefully, water is being used more prudently, and that the membership is desireable of getting away from overly green conditions.

Those who haven't played Quaker Ridge should make an attempt to do so.

ted janeczek

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2001, 11:36:00 AM »
i too have been privileged to play quaker ridge many times and agree with your exhuberance. it requires much of the skilled player, yet can be enjoyed by the less skilled.to wit, a number of years ago it was voted in a ny times poll as the best metro ny course for players of all levels.    

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2001, 11:57:00 AM »
Adam:

While I can't go so far as to call it the "best" course I've ever played, I do share your enthusiasm for Quaker Ridge.

Given the choice of Quaker Ridge or either of the two Winged Foot courses, I'd take Quaker Ridge.

Also, I agree with Pat Mucci that the club would never be suitable for a major professional event due to the absence of practice facilities.  Things worked okay at the Walker Cup, but that kind of arrangement couldn't work for an Open.

Tim Weiman

Quinton Ernie

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2001, 01:23:00 PM »
As a golfer from Westchester, who has playedevery great course in New York, I also testify that Quaker Ridge is by ar my favorite. I adore the way it tests every shot in your repatoire while as you said does not overwhelm you. I agree that it has some of the absolute finest holes i the country.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back