News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Jeremy perfectly captures Stanley Thompson's genius in routing Banff Springs. As at many great courses such as St. Andrews and Cruden Bay, Jeremy highlights that golf is a journey.

Jeremy  points out the detremental effect of the 1989 creation of a new clubhouse and subsequent changes to Thompson's routing.

Basically, it's akin to starting St. Andrews on the 4th hole!

Mike_Cirba

Jeremy Glenn's Banff Springs In My Opinion piece is posted
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2001, 04:42:00 AM »
Jeremy;

I think you provided a perfect definition of what an ideal routing should accomplish.  Thanks for a very enjoyable read.

Doug Wright

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2001, 07:12:00 AM »
Jeremy,

When I played Banff a few years back something seemed awry and out of sync. The beginning couple of holes, the 9th/10th and 18th, in particular, seemed odd. Now I know what it was. Thanks. Architects (at least good ones) create routings for a reason. To mess with a great routing, even for a valid reason like adding 9 holes to alleviate overcrowding, is a shame.

Doug

Twitter: @Deneuchre

RJ_Daley

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2001, 07:45:00 AM »
Jeremy, your essay is as meaningful to me to read once again today, as the first time I read it some two years ago.  Perhaps the various golf raters should walk some of the northern properties in winter in order to see the timelessness of the journey as integral to the quality of the golf course, then they can concentrate of the meat and potatoes issues of quality and variety of golf shots and strategy.  All are important pieces of the big picture...
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back