News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

THuckaby2

The Life and Work of Dr. Alister MacKenzie
« on: July 13, 2001, 06:57:00 AM »
My apologies if a thread already exists re this, I thought it might but I couldn't easily find it.

In any case, I received last week my copy from Sleeping Bear of this new book by Doak/Scott/Haddock and all I can say is WOW!

I've always considered myself a MacKenzie-phile but I've learned many, many things in this book that were new to me... The depth of detail is incredible. Beyond that the presentation, pictures and graphics are all outstanding.  The lists at the end are a fantastic reference.

I'd highly recommend this to anyone with any remote interest in golf course architecture, but especially to those who have an interest in MacKenzie.  If this isn't the definitive work on him, I don't know what could be.

Many thanks to the authors for doing this!  Bravo!

TH

Ran Morrissett

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2001, 07:08:00 AM »
We're posting a Feature Interview with Doak on it in about 30 days or so. Similar to Wexler's book, the text is excellent, with much original material. The old black and white photos and Placek's drawings are a real plus as well but the presentation of some of the color photos is very ordinary.

THuckaby2

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2001, 07:20:00 AM »
Ran - it's hard for me to call the presentation of the color photos "ordinary" because the holes they present are just do damn cool!  By that I mean, I'm sure there are better photos of Crystal Downs, but I just don't get to see them so I appreciate any pics from there... that's just one example.

But you're right, the "old" stuff is better presented and most importantly it's the TEXT that wowed me.  My actual only "complaint" if there is one is that the thing is too damn heavy!  Given I'm way more interested in the text, I'd prefer a paperback version.  But what the hell, that would never sell so I'm happy with what we have.

I'm am absolutely not qualified to judge how it might have been done better, if it could have been.  I just do love what the authors produced here one way or the other.

Mac's letter to FDR re camouflage saving the world was MIND-BOGGLING!  Just very cool insight into the man.  Maybe that was common-knowledge to others in here but that blew me away.  There are many, many other nuggets like that...

TH

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2001, 08:21:00 PM »
Tom, What do youthink about the severity of the greens MacKenize seemed to embody in his designs that the book has hi-lighted?

While of course, Mac would have never apporved of the speeds, cn you imagine what Pasatiempo must have once looked like?

Tom Doak, You must restore the green at the Jockey Club!

THuckaby2

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2001, 08:37:00 PM »
Tommy, I had to laugh at some of those pics.  And you know me too well - the famous pic of the short par 3 green at Alwoodley had me cracking up.  Talk about infinite putting!

I can only imagine what the greens once looked like at Pasa... good god.  I can't imagine #16 being any MORE severe though.

I also LOVED the sections re Pasa in this book, they kinda confirmed all of my rants over the years.  Mac is rolling in his grave re all the trees... and the green speeds would have had him die even earlier.

Interesting re Pasa... 6,7,8 are kinda crammed together.  Picture that section with no trees... there's no surprise whatsoever someone was killed on 8 green by a pull from 7 tee.  Those I can live with, for safety reasons.  The changes to 1 and 9 irk me though... dice the freakin' short range, put the tee back where it belongs, cut down that damn forest!  Did you see the pic of how that once looked???  Imagine that today as one big field... God how cool.  Never gonna happen though...

TH

John_Sheehan

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2001, 12:06:00 PM »
Tom H-
Got my copy on order and am anxiously watching the mail box. In the interim, I am re-reading everything else I have on the Good Doctor.

Looks like we'll have to have local MacKenzie fest in August:  The re-opening of the Haggin Oaks restoration project, Pasatiempo, Northwoods.  Maybe The Wayniac can work his magic and get us on Cypress, so you two can commune with the Hallowed Canopy?

Fred_C.

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2001, 12:38:00 PM »
Bravo, Tom!

ForkaB

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2001, 12:48:00 PM »
John, Tom, Wayne, et. al.

If you guys will include me in the California McKenzimania, I'll treat you all to a round at the good Doctor's masterpiece in Dunfermline, Scotland--Pitreavie--that only Tommy Naccarato and I have walked, and only I, on this list, have played.

Rich

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2001, 01:56:00 PM »
Rich,
Hard to beleive isn't it?

Even Tom Doak hisself has not been to Pitreavie!

(Now this is the part where Tom will more then likely chide us as Pitreavie not being worthy of a visit, but, yiou can see the Mac in this course.

Tom Huckaby, There is no such thing as a MacKenzie-phile. There is however such a thing as a "Mac-head"  And you being in the Bay Area surprizes me even more!

I am a Mac-Head. Anyone else want to join me?

To me that was a shocker considering its relative locality to St Andrews and Edinburgh.

John_Sheehan

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2001, 02:19:00 PM »
Rich-
Mister, I've seen no-brainers before, and this is definitely one of them.  You're IN!

Wow, I haven't even heard of this course(insert shame face here!).

So, Tommy, how come you went all the way to Scotland and only WALKED Pitreavie?? Did Rich make you carry his bag?

Next, to complete the NorCal MacKenzie loop for MacKenziepalooza, we have to find someone to get us on the Meadow Club...

Signed,
John "MacHead" Sheehan

ForkaB

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2001, 05:19:00 PM »
John

Before you put me in, plesae recognize that it is a "no brainer" for me, too, in that the daily (i.e. all the golf you can handle) rate is about $35.  And, of course, you have to get over to Scotland first....

That being said, the offer stands, adn as I'm probably going to be going back there at the end of the year to live, the chances for collecting on the offer should hopefully be greater than zero.

Rich

PS--the thought of Tommy Naccarato carrying my bag at Pittreavie has a wonderful sense of completeness to it...........Something very much approaching nirvana......

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2001, 05:53:00 PM »
John,
Unfortunately, I made the mistake of not making enough time in Scotland for it.    

I caught Pitreavie on the way to the airport, where I dropped of my car hire and then got a lift to the train station where I still managed to miss my actual reserved spot on the train.

Lucky for me that the British rail system is without doubt one of the finest modes of transportation in the world and I had another two times to choose from. Unfortunately I didn't know this while at Pitreavie.  

No John, you have it wrong. Rich can carry my bag.

JamieS

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2001, 07:35:00 PM »
Great thread! I'm just getting started on this book, but I have found it to be very informative.
My favorite thusfar...is the picture of a green at Sitwell Park on page 35. It is the most amazing wild green I have ever seen. Imagine a green like this built today. Dr. MacKenzie would have been chased down Main St. by men in white jumpsuits.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2001, 09:16:00 AM »
The book is excellent and I agree with Jamie that the picture on page 35 is dramatic. Also the green at Jocky Club on page 160.

Can anyone tell me where the sketches on page 202-204 are?  Are they from Pasatiempo?

THuckaby2

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2001, 06:22:00 AM »
Well if we're really gonna do a NorCal MacKenziepalooza, we gotta include Claremont, Green Hills and especially Meadow Club.  So who's got the connections to get us on all of those?

And Tommy, I love the term Mac-head.  Count me in on that noble distinction.

Joel, I left the book at home... finished it last Friday.  As I recall the sketches at the end are re holes from Meadow Club... but it is hard to tell.

Tom H.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2001, 06:32:00 PM »
MacHeads: who can tell me where "Northwoods" is? I've played most of the NoCal MacK courses including Meadow (long before I knew it was a MacK course), Sharp Park(ditto), Haggin Oaks and Pasatiempo, but where is Northwoods?

Peter Galea

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2001, 06:42:00 PM »
Northwood is in Monte Rio on the Russian River. It is very tight, even so I like it very much. I haven't played there in 5-6 years. Try www.northwoodgolf.com
"chief sherpa"

Steve Wilson

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2001, 07:18:00 PM »
Any of you MacHeads know anything aboutr a course in Weirton West Virginia called Pleasant Valley?  A search on GolfonLine for Mackenzie courses turns this one up.  Is it true.  Could it be that the good Doctor made a wrong turn in the early thirties when he was supposing to be going to Columbus and actually laid out a course in West By God Virginia?
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

THuckaby2

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2001, 05:27:00 AM »
Damn, I don't have the book with me Steve - but someone who does, the list of all Mac courses is in the back.  I sure don't remember any in West Virginia.... also given they detail his travels extensively and a trip to WV is never mentioned, I'd be VERY surprised if this is truly his.  But maybe I missed something....

Re Northwood, Pete has it right.  I was there a few years ago and it's a very cool 9-hole set amongst enormous redwoods.  I'll be there in October, doing a little wine country trip.  Word is they were doing some sort of renovation - I will report then.

TH

T_MacWood

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2001, 05:58:00 AM »
Steve
I believe the credit for Pleasant Valley is a mistake.

Joel
Those sketches are of Pasatiempo's greens.

The book is very impressive and well done.

THuckaby2

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2001, 06:01:00 AM »
Thanks, Tom Mac.  I looked at the book again last night and you're right - those sketches at the end are Pasa greens most definitely.

They're not all that far off from how they are in real life right now... sure they have been "softened" but you can get the gist of things from the sketches...

And that's why each of them tend to have only one or two pin placements that work... oh well.

TH

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back