News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

Greens with a lower back shelf
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2001, 08:53:00 PM »
db3,

Only mild short rough, ideal for pitching and chipping lies beyond the 7th green at
NGLA

Mike Hendren

« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2001, 05:46:00 PM »
Jeff Mingay's comments are spot on with respect to George Thomas.  From Golf Architecture in America:  "There are many glaring errors seen on most of our courses, and one of the commonest mistakes is to have a green with a wide opening in front of it, and difficulties nearby, expecially beyond the green, or at its far sides; for a man who has fallen short of the green is thereby enabled easily to run his ball up to the pin, whereas the man who has made a bold stroke, possibly lighting on the green with his ball, and running over the green, is given a more difficult lie after a finer effort.  To offset this situation, it is advisable in many cases where there are long second shots to a green, to make a fairway beyond the green, so that the man who goes over has at least as good a chance to play back and near the hole as the man who falls short after an indifferent stroke."

paul albanese

« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2001, 04:28:00 AM »
I forget which hole exactly -- but, Karsten Creek in Oklahoma has a very dramatic one of these holes -- the tier from front to back is about 2 to 3 feet

Every time I think of designing one of these -- my memory always goes back to that hole

Patrick Hitt

« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2001, 08:47:00 PM »
I don't know if the punchbowl 12th at Chicago Golf qualifies, but i seem to remember having an uphill put back to the hole on the front half.

T_MacWood

« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2001, 10:02:00 AM »
My memory is shot. Doesn't the 1st at Lost Dunes have a back lower area, and I'm not sure it falls into this catagory but the 14th at Prarie Dunes has what might be called a lower back shelf.

Just for the record, I hate the greens at Pinehurst National. I recall 3-putting early and often (I don't remember I may have also 4-putted) on those rediculously stepped greens--very goofy and unnatural. It wasn't until I missed a few greens and got up and down relatively easily (taking the steps out of the equation), that I instituted a strategy of deliberately missing the greens--I chipped in for a birdie on 18 for a 79.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2001, 08:05:00 AM »
I (re) played Whitman's Wolf Creek (Ponoka, Alberta) yesterday, and the 1st hole -- a medium length, somewhat downhill par 4 -- has a really neat lower back shelf at left.

Forgot about that one until yesterday  

(Now back to listening to Big Sugar's new album. Pick it up... it's good!)  

jeffmingay.com

RJ_Daley

« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2001, 10:40:00 AM »
Come to think of it, Axeland and Proctor went for a front to back lower shelf idea on #4 Wild Horse and #5 Bayside.  The Bayside hole is actually about 6-8ft drop from upper right to lower left.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2001, 08:51:00 PM »
Another lower back shelf on one of the best golf holes of all time, IMHO, is #13 at Crystal Downs.  I can't believe I left that one out in my ramblings above.  And, in that same area, The 13th at Kingsley club has one of the most unussual I have ever seen.  It has a lower and higher back shelf.  The right rear is so low, it is like a basement quadrant, and the back left is a poop deck of an appendage overlooking the back rear lower galley. I actually dreamt of playing that short par 4 hole recently with pin on back left but my approach on back right fringe.  I woke up screaming...
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back