News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brad Klein

Longmeadow
« on: July 26, 2001, 07:40:00 PM »
Just re-played Longmeadow CC, a 1922 design in Western Massachusetts by Donald Ross and Walter Hatch (more Hatch, really. It's just 20 miles from my house, but I only get there once a year, though now I'll try to go more often. They're still in the process of completing a brilliant Ron Prichard restoration that has seen over 1,000 trees removed, all the bunkers rebuilt - the sand flashing eliminated and fescue sod rolled down the face; greens expanded; naturalized areas brought back. Much work remains in terms of greens and drainage areas as well as reintegrating water courses. But what they've done is stunning.

It's all been very well managed, inc. the brilliant decision to do a dramatic restoration of the 1st and 10th holes first - the work stares at members in the clubhouse and suddenly revealed to them the phenomenal ground features they had lost.

Prichard spent a lot of time extending fairways to the high swide of sweeps, thereby revealing for play and view many deep swales and contours. The effect is greatest on the 318-yard, par-4 5th, possibly the most dramatic little hole Ross ever did (even more strategic on the tee shot and approach than Franklin Hills' 13th). Kudos to all involved.

A similar story could be told of Skokie CC, where Prichard's work totally transformed a course that over three decades had been renovated and overgrown to an inch of its life before its recent rescue.

Gary Sherman

Longmeadow
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2001, 10:04:00 AM »
Brad,

I hadn't realized Longmeadow had deteriorated that far.  Didn't Cornish rebuild most of the bunkers 6 or 7 years ago?  Who drove the restoration plan...greens chair, long range planning?   Any idea of how much they have spent so far?  If you know the person who is driving the project, I'd like to talk to them.

Brad Klein

Longmeadow
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2001, 04:34:00 AM »
Cornish and Zikorous had been there separately, along with a ton of tree planting and overgrowth, plus cart paths taking priority. The usual problems.

I don't know the budget - they're doing it over a five year period, some in spring, most in fall/winter. It is being extremely well-managed by a long-range master plan committee chaired, I think, by Chirs Gagne. Superintendent Rich Derby has been aboard the program, too, and they seem to have come a very long way. It's a strong candidate for "comeback of the year."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back