News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bob_Huntley

Cypress changes.........
« on: August 05, 2001, 04:34:00 PM »
I played there last week and was one of the first groups to test the restored seventh hole. The cavernous bunkers on the right of the hole are now back to the size that the good doctor planned back in '29. The left side of the same hole has been denuded of all the foliage and grunge that had accumulated over the years, leaving pure white sand. A delight.

I do have a complaint about the redo of the bunker on the right side of No. 13. It has been somewhat enlarged and stretches back to the gravel cart-path(that caters to golf carts) something AM never envisaged. The back of the bunker slopes downward and the effect is an impossible shot to an elevated green. There is talk of puting some grass in between the bunker and the path.

The construction of the sea wall proceeds at a good pace and I thank God that I am not in line for the assesment.

aclayman

Cypress changes.........
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2001, 06:22:00 PM »
Bob- Thanks for the accurate update. Didn't they use photos taken from the 40's? Is it possible that changes were made between 29' and the mid-forties that could be mis-leading?

Can you confirm the story about George Zaharias using his model T, as the first buggy?

Ran Morrissett

Cypress changes.........
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2001, 07:00:00 PM »
Is this work being done internally by the Club? Are other holes expecting to see some action as part of this undertaking? Also, what is the status of the disased trees along holes 5 and 6?  

aclayman

Cypress changes.........
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2001, 07:46:00 PM »
Ran- The specific trees I cannot comment on, but if you know of some diseased ones, they're pretty much toast. Lots of the monterey pines are oozing their sap and are dying. (Pitch cancre)
Not so much at CPC but MPCC, Spyglass and Poppy will experience a significant transition to one of a more windswept landscape with a pacific view.

Anyone care to speculate on How that will affect the design and playability of all those holes?

ed_getka

Cypress changes.........
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2001, 02:55:00 AM »
Loss if trees at CPC won't make any difference. Less trees  at Spyglass would be interesting since it is a very demanding driving course after #5.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

ed_getka

Cypress changes.........
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2001, 02:56:00 AM »
Loss of trees at CPC won't make any difference. Less trees  at Spyglass would be interesting since it is a very demanding driving course after #5.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

John_D._Bernhardt

Cypress changes.........
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2001, 04:44:00 AM »
6 and 10 are the only holes I can think of where trees regularly come into play. Any loses on those holes much less 6 will not hurt the course at all. I am looking forward to seeing more of the changes myself next week.

THuckaby2

Cypress changes.........
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2001, 05:35:00 AM »
Muy interesante, Senor Huntley.  Heck, any changes to get it back to the pics I see in G. Shackelford's book sound great to me.  I don't know why really but ANY work on Cypress makes me nervous...

And Senor Barnhardt, please do give your impressions if you can find your way to a computer next week!

Things have "freed up" a little re my Bandon sked... I'll send you and Bill an email to discuss.

Cheers!

TH

Patrick_Mucci

Cypress changes.........
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2001, 09:13:00 AM »
Bob,

I understand that the big tree, front right of # 18 at Pebble Beach has pitch cancre and has or will be removed, and replaced with a
60 foot specimen at a cost of $ 250,000.

How does pitch cancre travel and attack trees?

John_D._Bernhardt

Cypress changes.........
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2001, 06:48:00 PM »
the tree on 18 is a goner and will be replaced by a tree from number 1 according to the Mssr Harper. Cost unknown and not a concern. Please just finish the fools house on 5 ( yes we all know who the ego is)and stop working on the course during the day.

aclayman

Cypress changes.........
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2001, 07:42:00 PM »
Pat- I have heard that the fungus is transported by insects.

Bob_Huntley

Cypress changes.........
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2001, 07:59:00 PM »
Pitch canker of pine trees is a pretty devasting thing to behold, we have lost over two hundred trees at MPCC alone. But some of the good things that are happening is that certain greens are getting the circulation of air that is needed for consistent growth.

One must remember that these affected trees are seventy five years old and Raynor and MacKenzie did not envisage them at this size and the effect on shot values on their designs.

Bob_Huntley

Cypress changes.........
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2001, 07:59:00 PM »
Pitch canker of pine trees is a pretty devasting thing to behold, we have lost over two hundred trees at MPCC alone. But some of the good things that are happening is that certain greens are getting the circulation of air that is needed for consistent growth.

One must remember that these affected trees are seventy five years old and Raynor and MacKenzie did not envisage them at this size and the effect on shot values on their designs.

ed_getka

Cypress changes.........
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2001, 01:26:00 AM »
Bob H.,
  I assume from your comments that you play at MPCC. I have only seen holes from 17-mile Drive as I passed by. I would love to see the courses there some time if you are interested in showing me around. egetka@earthlink.net

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back