News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JLahrman

Sand Hills and Dick Youngscap
« on: August 08, 2001, 09:35:00 AM »
Just got back from a trip to Sand Hills and couldn't have been more impressed.  What I enjoyed most was the variety in holes and how the changing wind makes you feel like you are playing a different golf course every time.

If I had to pick out one or two holes as favorites, I would say 10 and 17.  The par four 10th at about 430 yards changed character the most, I believe, depending upon wind direction.  With the wind at your back, the slight downhill drive allows for a short iron into the green, but into the wind it requires a lot of club.

The par three 17th, rivals the 11th at Shinnecock and I loved the back-to-back bunkers on the right side.

During our visit our group had dinner and drinks with Dick Youngscap.  He is a very interesting guy and seemed genuinely humble with regard to what he created at Sand Hills.  Here are sme highlights of our conversation:

1)He thought Crenshaw and Coore made a great team because of how well they complimented each other.  Coore, he said, was the vision behind he routing and Crenshaw the green compexes.  His one criticism was that Crenshaw tended to be indecisive.

2)He also told us that when he initially purchased the land he had a one year option to raise the required cash.  With twelve days remaining on the option, he had only 50% of the funding and he thought he was going to lose the property.  Fortunately, a local contractor fronted the money with a four year loan in return for revenue sharing and inerest.  So Sand Hills was 12 days away from not being.

3) Finally, he also said he will not build a second course on the property.  The primary reason for this is the area can not supply enough staff to run a larger operation.

All in all, just a great experience.  The combination of a great golf course and even nicer people make for a very memorable trip.

Regards,
John

RJ_Daley

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2001, 09:58:00 AM »
John,

did Mr. Youngscap make mention of other new golf course projects underway in the area?  Specifically, did he mention the effort underway in Sutherland?  He told me some things and I wonder if he has changed his thinking any since then, since the new development is now a fait-acompli.  Feel free to e-mail me if you like.

rjdaley@netnet.net(nospam)  drop the (nospam) off the address...

Also, did you get a crack at Wild Horse or Bayside in Ogallala.  If so, your thoughts...

No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

JLahrman

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2001, 10:39:00 AM »
RJ,

He did not mention any other golf projects in the area.  He did mention, however, that Ted Turner is purchasing a lot of land in the sand hills area. A development he is not happy about because, as he said, Turner is "a terrible neighbor."

John

John_Conley

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2001, 11:16:00 AM »
Coore:  Gee, Ben, you sure look nice today.

Crenshaw:  You're so nice to say that.  You're a great person.

Coore:  Thank you.  But I don't feel as nice as you.  And I'm not as good at anything as you are at golf.

Crenshaw:  Thanks.  I'm just fortunate to have been given talent from the good Lord.  I guess I got that instead of all your amazing creativity.

(Crenshaw & Coore COMPLIMENTING each other)

Sorry to bust your chops, John, but that just was too easy.  

Glad you had as much fun as I did.  Was out there with Noel's host a few months ago.  Sorry you don't like dogs more, because seeing Gus in action is pretty amazing.

JLahrman

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2001, 11:35:00 AM »
John,

No problem, that was very good.

True, not a big fan of dogs, but did meet Gus and I have to admit, he is hard not to like.

John

RJ_Daley

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2001, 01:27:00 PM »
Most cattlemen don't care for neighbors that want to re-introduce buffalo with Brucelosis and hungry wolves onto the land next door.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Jim Reilly

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2001, 03:29:00 PM »
JAL,

It is funny you should pick 10 and 17 as your two favorite courses as I had 17 as probably my favorite and 10 as the weakest hole on the course.  When I first posted on Sand Hills after playing it, I thought a lot about 10 and that little fairway bunker in the left center of the fairway (how aptly placed is that when you're hitting into the wind?) and came to the conclusion that it is a darn strong hole, but still my least favorite.  I think this just goes to what a solid, no weakness course Sand Hills is.

Ran Morrissett

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2001, 04:58:00 PM »
John, What kind of winds did you have? How firm were the fairways and greens? Did anything in particular surprise you about the place or course?

Cory

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2001, 07:04:00 PM »
Jal, I'm glad that you enjoyed your trip to the Sand Hills.  I think that the Sand Hills is a very special place. I don't wanna sound weird on you, but it is just one of those great places.  I have played it a few times and am just amazed at the variety and rolling undulating fairways and greens.  I think that anyone who has played the course might have a favorite hole different than others.  I love 8, 16 and 17.  These holes might be some of the greates holes ever made.  Obviously, this is just my opinion, but they would have to be up there.  The last three holes might be the best finishing holes created in a long time. By the way, did you have dinner while you were there.  I especially liked the nachos topped with strips of steak.  AWESOME!    

ted janeczek

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2001, 05:18:00 AM »
 to john conley:i think that gus has the best job in the whole world. i want to be him in my next life. i too have  had the privilege of spending time with youngscap on a number of occassions. he really is nonplussed , yet proud of his sand hills effort. mostly i think he is relieved at how economically successful it has been. there is no better summation of his effort than the picture given to him by one of his friends hanging in the stairway down to the dining area, with a cowboy hanging off a cliff trying to hit a golf ball. the world is a better place because of dick youngscap and sand hills.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2001, 06:15:00 AM »
Although I barely know the man, as I met with him for a time in his office out there, I was struck by one curiosity.  I asked him what he thought of some of the old sod golf courses in Scotland or Ireland.  I assumed he had made at least a few trips over to see the golf courses that his Sand Hills most closely emmulates.  He told me he never was across the puddle to see any of the links courses.  He said Ben and Bill have been on him to do so, yet he wasn't all that fired up to go over there.  It isn't as if he is only a newcomer to the golf course ownership and development scene since he is the founder/developer of Firethorn in Lincoln with Pete Dye having done the first 18 and now Rod Whitmann having recently done 9 more.  So, not having "studied" the seminal courses seems to me to be a bit odd.  At any rate, I came away with the strong impression that Mr. Youngscap is really "one of the best of his kind", as Gary Player would say, and their aint't too many of his kind left  

ted janeczek

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2001, 07:53:00 AM »
he is a true entrepreneur, technically trained as an architect who is most comfortable and  happy sitting on a bulldozer or backhoe. no pretentions here.

JLahrman

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2001, 08:50:00 PM »
Ran,

The fairways and greens were fairly firm.  With regard to the wind, our first round it was quite windy, 15,16 and 17 played into the wind.  The 15th into the wind and uphill was brutal.  The next morning it was fairly calm and overall the course played easier.

The variety of holes was the biggest surprise for me.  It's great to play a course that doesn't rely on length alone.

Cory,
No doubt about it, all 18 holes are strong and it's tough to pick a favorite.  Did have  dinner and yes, the Nachos were awesome.

NAF

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2001, 10:02:00 AM »
As for Gus, I plan on giving him a few extra moments of attention to make up for my good friend JAL when I visit next month..He is indeed one of the luckiest dogs on earth..all he needs is a big pool to go play in when the prairie temps hit 90+

Jim, JAL has pretty much similar tastes to you as per architecture so I find it surprising you two differ on #10 but we shall see..Perhaps I can split the difference..

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back