News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Kelly

Herbert Warren Wind on Merion
« on: August 18, 2001, 10:04:00 AM »
FYI,
Here is H.W. Wind writing about Merion in the July 17, 1971 New Yorker:

"Most serious students of golf, if they were asked to name the two best courses in this country, would I thik, settle on Merion and Pebble Beach."

"...Hugh Irvine Wilson was quite possibly the finest golf architect ever produced in theis country. Wilson was an amatuer in the field but then a very high percentage of our truly distinguished courses have been the work of amateurs."

"When you think of it, it is logical that amateur architects should be responsible for so many of our best tests of golf, for where the professional architect is generally in a hurry to wrap up his present commission and get on to the next one and the one after that, the amateur stays behind, lavishing time and love on his baby until he eventually makes it into something memorable."

"In these operations, he had a valuable aide in Joe Valentine, the club's greenkeeper and an outstanding agronomist, who discovered, among other things, Merion bluegrass, a hardy heat-resistent strain of Kentucky bluegrass that has become one of the most popular American grasses, not only for fairways but for lawns."

"...where else in golf, which is so overproduced these days, do you find this?  As Gene Sarazen remarked, beaming, the day before the tournament, 'Merion is just the same. Only the players are different.'"

"Many times during the Open, thoughts of (Richie) Valentine's father passed through my mind, and I was continually reminded of Hugh Wilson - how well his holes have endured, and how contemporary is the examination in golf he prepared so long ago."

There is also an interesting account about how Wilson and Valentine would use bedsheets to layout new greenside bunkers with one guy in the fairway using arm signals to tell the other which way to move the sheets.

Duke Maas

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2001, 02:28:00 PM »
David,
Thanks for posting those quotes.

Very interesting comments by Wind more than 30 years ago.  Even then he emphasised the enduring challenge of the course and how little it had changed.  I know Mr. Wind is still alive although not in great health.  I wonder what he would have to say about the way Merion is going about their "restoration".

Slag_Bandoon

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2001, 02:46:00 PM »
 Great stuff. Printed.  

TEPaul

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2001, 06:18:00 PM »
Thanks for that wonderful Wind post David! It's a bit hard to argue with the likes of Wind and his remarks. Very apropos too about the so-called amateur architect. Interesting that some of the best couses on earth are the work of amateur architects, although some of them only did one or two. At the very least his remarks probably prove that amateur or professional, one of the most valuable aspects of design may be time spent on site.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2001, 06:55:00 PM »
Thank you David.  Just when this whole Merion discussion and related threads needed a some fresh air, a fresh Wind blew...
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

golf4les

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2001, 09:27:00 PM »
Merion bluegrass, hmmm.  Wonder what the color and texture characteristics are?  Any experts out there.  I actually met the superintendent from Merion at Sand Ridge in Cleveland several years ago, quite a gentleman.

TEPaul

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2001, 03:31:00 AM »
Apparently William Flynn was extremely interested in and knowledgeable about grasses and various types of grasses. You can see this in some of his early USGA green section reports.

Flynn might have also developed and used specific grasses for Merion in the beginning. Apparently Merion's present green committee is aware of this and has some research to that effect and has looked into it.

Exactly what those grasses were I really don't know. Interesting to note too that Flynn was Merion's original greenskeeper (during and after the course opened) and stayed in that position for a time to train Joe Valentine.

Flynn and Wilson also were planning to form a design company but Wilson died during this planning and Flynn then took on as a partner Howard Toomey, a local engineer.

Willie_Dow

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2001, 06:59:00 AM »
Speaking of grasses, does anyone know about yarrow being used to shore up the slopes or faces of bunkers?
When Mel Lucas and I were probing the surrounds of the old Merion bunkers we found quite a bit of yarrow, and Mel said it was a great root growing weed which would be fine for holding together the crowns of the faces.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2001, 07:10:00 AM »
golf4les;

I can't find the source this morning (will try to dig around later if I get the chance), but Joe Valentine "discovered" bluegrass somewhere off the 17th green.

Although he did work to develop the strain, and it's even named "Merion bluegrass", the article went on to mention that it was ironic because bluegrass was never used on Merion's golf course.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back