News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Golden

Thanks, George Bahto, for Stonebridge
« on: August 21, 2001, 03:21:00 PM »
I'm in New York for a couple of days and got over the disappointment of not being able to play Bethpage Black this week (Met Open + aeration) by taking several people's advice and playing the new Stonebridge course designed by George Bahto as a tribute to Seth Raynor and CB MacDonald.

What a treat to play recreations of some (actually, most) of the designs usually talked about as classics:  Alps, Eden, Redan, Cape, Biarritz, Long, Short, Principal's Nose.  Of course, almost no one playing the golf course has a clue about the nature of the designs and just think they can overpower the course, which, as 6200 yards from the tips, isn't far from the truth.  But I didn't care and spent 4 absolutely delightful hours thinking strategically and just enjoying myself.

The only negative is that walking is NOT allowed, which is particularly annoying.  As the greens, which have very severe undulations on almost every hole, were very slow most of the teeth of the course were removed and scoring was pretty easy.  I shot 75 with pars on Alps and Redan and a couple of birdies on the back, including the 18th, which has a multitiered green.

My suggestion for those of you who are planning a trip to Long Island is that a stop is certainly worth the trip and the best way to play the course might be as an afternoon ride after a morning round walking.

I have one more day of golf on this trip (Friday) and most likely will play Bethpage Red early in the morning unless someone has another suggestion for an alternative.  I certainly appreciate the heads up received about Stonebridge through this forum.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2001, 03:55:00 PM »
Mike:

Where exactly is the course?

Tim Weiman

Mike_Golden

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2001, 04:01:00 PM »
Tim,

It's in Hauppauge, which is in Western Suffolk Country on Hwy 347.  It was formerly known as Hauppauge Country Club.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2001, 06:08:00 PM »
I do hope you took pictures!

(Just to let most know, Mike is one of the fastest players I have ever played with, and he hates the things during a round!)

Great to hear you played George's pride and joy. By any chance, did George utilize any features ala Desmond Muirhead in the shape of a New Jersey Devils logo?????

George_Bahto

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2001, 08:07:00 AM »
The N J Devil's logo is etched into the 18th green with weed killer, Tommy.

I also have anti-New York Ranger graffiti on the 17th green!

Mike: thank you for the compliments - if they had given me all the original land instead of putting 105 houses in the middle of the property I think a lot more interesting things could have been done.

As for the slow speeds:  They are very wary of speed there because it is public during the week. What the heck that has to do with anything is beyond me but they own it and what can you do. I knew that going in which is why I built severe greens and trying to have as much optional play as possible.

We covered this on an old thread on this sight - about how much control an architect really has vs the developer or the club. Tough deal.  You do the best you can with what you're given or walk away. In my case, never having done this before, how could I have walked?????  It was a chance of a lifetime for me.

The super is a good friend and I'll be talking with him about the green speed. Remember this is summer and the supers don't like to cut too low.

If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

George_Bahto

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2001, 08:11:00 AM »
Tim: The course is about 1 mile north of the Long Island expressway (why do they call these thing in NY expressways - "Cross Bronx Expressway - yikes)

Instead of taking Vets Highway (rt 454) south on the way to the Hamption area you go north - rt 347 and rt 454 join - the course is right there on the right (very bad intersection - and boy those LI drivers make Jersey and Manhattan drivers look like angels)

If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Mike_Golden

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2001, 03:33:00 AM »
Tommy, I didn't take any pictures-sorry.

George, part of the reason for the slowness of the greens is that they looked like they have been aerated recently and are growing back in.  By the way, I'm a Rangers fan-does that bar me from going back?  

Congratulations on taking full advantage of a chance of a lifetime.

THuckaby2

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2001, 05:39:00 AM »
Mike Golden - you ole Bethpage boy, great to "hear" from you again... Please shoot me an email when you get a chance - it's been too long and we need to play some golf together again.

TH
tom.huckaby@clorox.com

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2001, 07:13:00 AM »
George,

I have to look in my files, but I think I worked for the developer rerouting that course to fit those houses in.....if you email his name (although developers do change) I would be interested, as we decided not to be involved with the final product....

Love the Devils logo and Rangers grafitti....Will have to update it to include and 88 logo....With hockey season only a month away (yes, I go to preseason games, too) my posts will go way, way down.

Jeff

Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

George_Bahto

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2001, 07:05:00 PM »
Mike - you're banned from returning to the course - ever!

I was there today for a while. Yes, they were aerated and need to be dethatched - which will happen as soon as the weather cools.

Those greens were not to rolling much beyond 9" to 9.5" at best. They should be fun at that speed if they will ever do it. Let's hope.

Jeff: I'll send you an E Mail

Wethered & Simpson

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back