News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Cirba

Without a visual cue
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2001, 07:29:00 AM »
Bill,

I don't think I meant to make RTJ Sr. the whipping boy here.  As you know, he revised a TON of courses (including many, many Donald Ross courses; i.e. Oakland Hills) from the 50s through the 80s in preparation for major tournaments, so it's not as though I was engaging in wild speculation.  

Does anyone out there know who was responsible for adding 20 bunkers and creating four water hazards at Plainfield in preparation for the 1978 US Amateur as Golf Digest reported four years later??

On the face of it, it doesn't seem to be the type of project that was just done inhouse, although that's certainly possible.

Patrick_Mucci

Without a visual cue
« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2001, 07:50:00 AM »
Mike Cirba,

Why throw his name out as the one possibly connected with the changes when you don't have all the facts surrounding who might be responsible for the changes ?

That's unfair, and further feeds the frenzy !

Mike_Cirba

Without a visual cue
« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2001, 08:04:00 PM »
Patrick,

I made a mistake and certainly don't want to feed any frenzy.      

I was relying on my memory of a discussion that took place on this site last year after Tommy N.'s visit there.  I've since looked back through threads from that time but couldn't find it.

I apologize to all for the misinformation and would be appreciative of anyone who might know the real story to tell us who added 20 bunkers and four water hazards to Plainfield prior to 1978.  It would seem that a project of that magnitude would have been pretty visibly extensive and I'm wondering if anyone who remembers would share.    

Matt_Ward

Without a visual cue
« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2001, 10:06:00 AM »
Pat:

Was at Plainfield today and did a site inspection with the head pro.

I can see your point on the 10th, but from what I was told the remedy is still being kick around by the club. If a stream is decided upon it might be more fitting and less obstrusive.

I also think you have overplayed the unfairness aspect of the hole. Your best angle to the putting green is to keep your tee shot out to the left. Those who play too close to the pond will have a more difficult angle to a severely contoured green that runs away from that angle of attack.

Does the water / pond look like it fits? I would say obviously no. I saw the original Ross plans in the clubhouse and clearly the club added the water as a drainage issue.

There are other changes that have been carried out at Plainfield. I was told these changes were to restore previous Ross features and WAS NOT DONE in lieu of hosting the 05 Senior Open.

I can elaborate these in a later thread.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back