News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kyle Capps

Another WHITE day at Black Rock
« on: January 21, 2009, 07:14:51 PM »
The posting in yesterdays discussion group about Black Rock filing bankruptcy is completely untrue.  We are still plowing snow and preparing for 2009.  in light of the discussion that followed yesterdays false alarm, i thought i would answer some of the questions/comments. 

The Engh course at Black Rock normally opens around April 15th and closes near Halloween.  Last year after record snowfall we did not open until June.

Construction was completed on the Weiskopf course last fall.  It has not opened and had any play, and we are undetermined until we can see some ground this spring what our opening status is this year.  i think there are pictures on our website.

Due to the change in the high end golf real estate market in the last year, we have had to reduce staffing and expenses below historic levels, and continue to refine our operations and scrutinize each expense, as i am fairly certain every club in the country is having to do right now to survive this market.

i have been told by a Boise resident and member that one of the first clubs to file chapter 11 was Tamarack in McCall, and throughout the process they did not miss a day of skiing or golfing due to closure.  Luckily, i have no idea what the process entails.

Tommy Williamsen

Re: Another WHITE day at Black Rock
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 07:22:26 PM »
Kyle, I am glad to hear that the news of your demise was greatly exaggerated. Do you keep the roads open year 'round?  Are there any "full" time residents?  I had a great day there in 2007.  i hope to return to try the Weiskopf course.  Will it be walkable?
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

ed_getka

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 07:48:16 PM »
Kyle,
   Thanks for taking the time to clear up the confusion. Best of luck with the project.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 09:43:44 PM »
d.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 11:47:50 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 09:45:02 PM »
Mr. Capps,

Please do me the professional favor and read what I posted.

I said, "I heard that BR is filing Chap 11..."

My post was second person.  I stand by my source but no source is bulletproof.  I simply posted what I was told, from what I considered a reportable source, on this discussion group.

I do know the Coeur d'Alene area rather well.  

I'm a freelance golf writer for a number of magazines.  I was a member of a local course in the CdA area for 25 years, wrote an article about the CdA Resort for LINKS Mag a few years ago and wrote another article about Gozzer (which, ironically, Ron Whitten and I talked about on the phone today).

I know half a dozen members at Black Rock quite well.

I will look more into this via my contacts but I believe what my source told me.

If I find out I have been misled I will be happy to post a retraction.

JC

Joe Hancock

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 09:59:49 PM »
Well, this ought to be interesting. The VP of Black Rock Development comes on here telling us what's up, and yet there seems to be an issue that sources(contacts) will apparently clarify for us....second hand again, I'll presume.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Andy Troeger

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 10:45:32 PM »
Kyle,
Thanks for your comments, that is good news!

John Moore II

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 11:02:39 PM »
Mr. Capps,

My post was second person.  I stand by my source but no source is bulletproof.  I simply posted what I was told, from what I considered a reportable source, on this discussion group.

I'm a freelance golf writer for a number of magazines.  I was a member of a local course in the CdA area for 25 years, wrote an article about the CdA Resort for LINKS Mag a few years ago and wrote another article about Gozzer (which, ironically, Ron Whitten and I talked about on the phone today).

I will look more into this via my contacts but I believe what my source told me.

JC

Yeah, not trying to back you under the bus, but I would have to say that unless your source is the CEO or CFO of Black Rock, I would just be happy to tell them they were wrong. But what do I know? I would, however, trust the word of the VP of Black Rock before what someone else told me. But thats just me.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 01:32:20 AM »
Mr. Capps,

JC

You said you heard they were filing chapter 11 yesterday.  That, in fact, did not happen, did it?  So that statement is false. 

Maybe your source believes they are going to file in the near future?

Billsteele

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2009, 08:26:39 AM »
I believe the original post said that Jonathan had heard that Black Rock had announced it was filing under Chapter 11. That seemed rather definite and unequivocal. Now it is information from a source (did Black Rock announce to the source that it was filing?). This is one example of the dangers of the internet. At best, the original post was not well thought out. At worst, it was reckless and irresponsible.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2009, 08:49:24 AM »
I believe the original post said that Jonathan had heard that Black Rock had announced it was filing under Chapter 11. That seemed rather definite and unequivocal. Now it is information from a source (did Black Rock announce to the source that it was filing?). This is one example of the dangers of the internet. At best, the original post was not well thought out. At worst, it was reckless and irresponsible.
And reply number 4 appears equally badly judged.  What would have been wrong with "it appears my source may have been wrong - I'll investigate and I'm sorry if it turns out that it was"?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2009, 08:57:45 AM »
Where is Barney when we need him to put some much needed perspective on this topic?   ;D
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Joe Hancock

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2009, 09:19:44 AM »
I like the request for the "professional favor"..... ;D
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Craig Sweet

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2009, 10:30:50 AM »
The exact words used:  "I just heard that Black Rock announced today that they are filing Chapter 11. "

Black Rock "announced today "

That is why I started checking the local papers and found nothing...and believe me, if they had "announced" something like that, it would be big news for the local economy...

I'm not sure why Jonathan didn't dig deeper to verify before posting...
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back