News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

rjbay/aka archie

over the edge greens
« on: September 18, 2001, 06:00:00 PM »
Lately I've started to feel that you have to be a little over the top on your greens to build a golf course that is considered great. Would you agree or disagree?

Tim_Weiman

over the edge greens
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2001, 08:45:00 AM »
Which courses are leading you to that conclusion?
Tim Weiman

Matt_Ward

over the edge greens
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2001, 09:09:00 PM »
Archie -- the ones at Twisted Dune are just fine and I'm sure plenty of people will say the same. Subtle but quick moving greens can present real challenges (see Garden City GC) as just one example.

Too many courses have greens divided into more sections than Macy's. I often think that "over the top" greens are created to cover the deficiencies of needed "tee to green" play.

TEPaul

over the edge greens
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2001, 01:32:00 AM »
Archie:

Very interesting question and I think that you probably do need to go a little over the top somehow to get golfers' attention. But exactly how to do it is the thing.

I'm not sure I know what Matt Ward means above about sections because I think one of the ways to get the golfer's attention is to create the occasional "greens within a green" like NGLA does so brilliantly (and also covers up the fact that their green speeds are sometimes too fast for their contours)!

Others like C&C, Doak, Hanse and many others seem able to do it sometimes by the use of excessive length but only occasionally excessive width (because the latter is more obvious)!

I recognize that many golfers may see things like this as "over the top" when in reality it is only an indication of how lazy golfer's really are and how little they really pay attention. That fact is shown in how often golfer's just get the yardage to the middle and play accordingly, only focusing on and thinking GIR is the only name of the game!!

On really good greens and even those some might think as "over the top" the strategy can really ratchet up not with just hitting greens but where and how you hit them!

If architects can build more of these kinds of greens without getting excessively slammed for going "over the top" they will give the golfer a quick and simple lesson in the finer points of golf strategy!

But who knows how possible it really is to do and get away with? It was certainly something that used to worry A. Tillinghast!

T_MacWood

over the edge greens
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2001, 03:17:00 AM »
Isn't there a fine line between over the top and interesting based on the speed those greens are kept at?

Matt_Ward

over the edge greens
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2001, 05:39:00 AM »
TEPaul:

Just to provide more meaning to what I said. I'm talking about greens that have mutli-tiers that are overkill. Greens should test you back in the approach area and at least in my mind be contoured according to the length of the approach. Shorter holes can produce more demands on the green.

I've seen quite a few greens recently among new courses where they up the ante on difficulty by creating greens that only Houdini could putt. Usually, this tactic is employed because the appropriate demands on tee shots and iron play is generally weak.

I always marvel at Tillie greens in that although they most of his contours are more subtle -- they always seem to blend in rather than standout as abrasive. From what I've seen of Pete Dye's latest work it seems that Pete is moving away from the earlier designs where sections are stacked (TPC at Sawgrass at its outset as an example).

Hope this helps Tom ...

TEPaul

over the edge greens
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2001, 07:35:00 AM »
Matt:

Thanks, I get what you were saying. You should see the greens at NGLA--not all of them but maybe half of them to see what really good "greens within a green" is all about.

Ed_Baker

over the edge greens
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2001, 08:46:00 PM »
Tom Paul,

Once again,you have articulated another "pearl of wisdom" to this group.

"(.. and also covers up the fact that some times their green speed is too fast for their contours)".

To me,that is the essence of truly great enduring green designs.Greens that were designed for the slower green speeds of the era in which they were built,yet their intrinsic design (greens within greens)allows for really challenging putting at todays speeds without becoming"over the top" to the point that they are unplayable.In other words they provide a variety of pinnable areas that challenge the putting skills of the golfer at whatever the speed is. Technically,at todays speeds they are over the top,but that fact is beautifully muted becuse a really well executed approach yields a legitimate opportunity to hole a putt. Conversely they allow relatively the same challenge with other pin posistions when the season and agronomistic conditions dictate slower speeds for the health of the turf.

TEPaul

over the edge greens
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2001, 10:54:00 AM »
Ed:

Isn't that the truth on really great greens and great green designs? That thought occured to me a couple of summers ago when I went to play the National's Singles after not having seen the course for about 35 years. I got to the course about 7pm and asked if I could just play a few holes before dark. I played down #1 and when I got to that green and saw what it was and how fast it was I got the sinking feeling I wasn't going to break 100 in any round in this tournament. When I got to #3 and up on the right side with the pin on the left I knew there was no conceivable way to two putt from where I was and sure enough I putted past the pin and off the green. That's when it occured to me that this green was so large that it was really a bunch of greens at that speed and if I was going to miss the green I needed to do it where I had putted my first putt to!

And the next day in qualifying I really studied the greens and approaches hard and missed when I did in the right places and hit some good shots to the right quadrants and sure enough I went out (downwind) in 3 under 34! The wind was blowing that day and you know when it is and you turn back into it at NGLA you have to fight to save your round. Well I turned those numbers around and shot 43 coming in but that was good enough to qualify where I needed to!

That's when the "maintenance meld" and the importance of it and how it can turn the lights up full at a course like NGLA occured to me! That's when I realized that with those conditions you have to really search and think and concentrate to play the heightened and nuancy strategies of a course like that! Because if you don't search and pay attention and concentrate your ball will show you the flip side of those strategies anyway by going to some of the damnedest and most unfortunate places!

Ran Morrissett

over the edge greens
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2001, 11:17:00 AM »
Archie,

The key is: does the green a) fit its surrounds and b) function within itself?

The 10th at Yale and the 7th at Crystal Downs are greens that could be considered gimmicky based on their extreme nature. However, upon closer inspection, the different portions of the green a) tie in well with their surrounds and b) work beautifully well together.

Cheers,

john f

over the edge greens
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2001, 12:19:00 PM »
What about #6 at Arcadian Bluffs? Mid length par 3 (170 yrds?) to absolute huge green. 12K sq ft at least. Some great swales and sectioned into about 6 different greens. Miss the wrong section and a 4 putt is possible. The green may be outsized for a hole of that length, but it works.

Also the 13th at Kingsley Club is a wonder. With the pin back left I hit Driver to about 20 yrds short og the green. Chipped on. had about a 30 footer for birdie. My chip from par was from about 15 yards off the side of the green!! An absolute masterfull green.

I'm all for over the top!!!

Ed_Baker

over the edge greens
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2001, 12:32:00 PM »
Absolutely Tom.

I played Salem yesterday in a Twi match.The greens were considerably slower than they were for the U.S. Senior Open(I played it right after the tournament) and actually "moderately slow" for the members.But the pins were in the most diabolical positions.Several of the greens feature"fall offs" like Pinehurst #2, and the pins were on the "edge" on several greens. Once I had left 4 putts well short and realized that it was possible to stop the ball near the hole even on a "slope" It became a really fun day of golf because you could actually putt aggressively. Normally at Salem you have to be very cautious on your approaches and putt defensively to score at all. Yesterday was a blast because you could go at the pins (in a relative sense)and actually hit putts past the hole without having the ball trickle 25 feet off the green.

The amazing revelation to me,was that I shot a "fun" 79 yesterday and an agonizing,grinding,white knuckle, 79 right after the open with really fast greens.Same guy,same lack of ability,same score.Yesterday was much more fun,the round after the open was much more gratifying.End result,Salem is a treasure and offers challenge no matter the green speed,now that is truly enduring classic green design.

brad_miller

over the edge greens
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2001, 12:42:00 PM »
Having just played Stanwich, Greenwich CT., Gordon 1960, set to host 2001 Mid-Am, thought it might be interesting to talk about these greens, Tillie suble they are not. Front pin placements are VERY difficult. Doak states  (TCG) that Stanwich "lacks any distinct character of its own..." Maybe these greens are its distinct character, just don,t know if its character worth repeating. For those that have not played many greens are shaped like the states of TX and SC.

Matt_Ward

over the edge greens
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2001, 02:07:00 PM »
Archie:

I'll give you a local example of a green that was "over the top" until the club finally changed it.

The 9th on the First Nine at Metedeconk National (Jackson, NJ) was an absolute joke for a hole of its length. If you remember the hole plays 460 yards from the tips, uphill, usually into the prevailing and the green was set above high above ground level with a small tier in front and the bulk of the green fanning out in a second section.

Literally, if the pin was placed in the front you could not two putt if you had an Bobby Locke, Tom Watson, Ben Crenshaw, et al practice for weeks you could not stop the ball.

Fortunately, the club made changes and now the hole through the efforts of Roger Rulewich is still tough, but you have an opportunity for some sort of fairness.

Greens should follow the axiom -- form follows function. If the function of a hole is short than the opportunity for "creativity" can be maximized until such time as a ball must fight the laws of physics. Longer holes don't need greens that are featureless, but too often modern designs really do not take the time to include strategy for placement as TEPaul indicated in his thread at NGLA.

I often look at the classic like Five Farms at Baltimore CC and the 9th hole. When cut to modern day specs the green is nearly unputtable. It's clear Tillie did not envision 11+ stimp speeds.

Prudence and common sense need to happen. A good example of excellent greens from the Jersey scene is at Plainfield and Somerset Hills. There the contours add as shields against indifferent iron play -- especially SH because of the lack of total distance.

The key is balance -- I'm not in favor of holes that have greens that are nothing more than flat discs (I only wish Bethpage Black had more punch on many of its greens ... save the 15th).

johnf: I too have played Arcadia Bluffs and The Kingsley Club and I share your enthusiasm for the greens at both sites. In neither case do I feel that the greens at those two sites is "over the top." I feel they fit the holes in a proper manner.

I would also add Carnegie Abbey as a new course in that vein with a superb collection of putting surfaces.

T_MacWood

over the edge greens
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2001, 02:49:00 PM »
Matt
Where did you come up with the formula that the the length of the approach should determine the amount of undulation? Are you aware of any architect, past or present, that followed that formula?

I'm with Ran let the green site naturally determine the degree and nature of undulations. Once you start designing courses based on a formula, the results become predictable and lack the variety that gives great courses their appeal. The 13th at Crystal Downs plays as the longest par-4 on the course, yet is one of the most beautifully undulating greens on the course and one of the great greens in the world.

Matt_Ward

over the edge greens
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2001, 05:06:00 PM »
Tom,

I meant that in a general sense. Do you think it would be appropriate to have a 470 yard hole and have a green less than 3,000 square feet???

How great would the 8th at PV be if the green were 8-10,000 square feet?

Clearly, there are exceptions and there are holes where there will be differences that work. From my experience (for what it's worth to me) I think landing areas need to be created that provide for the fair play of a hole given the type of approach that will be played.

Today, many of the classic courses are cutting greens beyond what the original design could possibly contemplate. As a result you get goofy speeds that distort the proper role of putting in my mind.

Without sounding contradictory, you can have a short par-4 that has a very large green. The 3rd at Carnegie Abbey is a great exmaple of a short par-4 with a large green. It's designed well and still puts a premium on being in the right place. Usually, when this happens there are clear sections of the green that call for accuracy with the approach or the player will face a major challenge in two-putting.

Ultimatetly, I agree w Ran because it depends on the surroundings of the actual terrain and how the green actually functions through the course of normal play.

I have seen architects such as Tillinghast, Raynor and Ross, to name just three, who created holes that provide just enough square footage to cover what would be the normal approach yardage into the green. There are no hard and fast rules as long as long as the basic premise of the good shot being rewarded and the poor being punished proportionally applies. I personally believe too many greens are larger than necessary, but usually that is because of heavy foot traffic and the necessity to spread wear'n tear around the entire putting surface. The main concern of public courses is to keep the turf from being overly taxed versus the strategic implications. Sometimes both things can be accomplished.

Many private clubs have the advantage in not having sustained usage comparable to today's active public courses and as a result many architects can be very creative in their designs.

A humble opinion ...

T_MacWood

over the edge greens
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2001, 06:17:00 PM »
Matt
Forgive me, I mistakenly thought this thread was in regards to a greens slopes, not square footage. Can we learn anything form  the smallest green at St.Andrews?

TEPaul

over the edge greens
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2001, 02:21:00 AM »
Hopefully not to change the subject on this thread but how do you all feel about greens that have sometimes an excessive amount of greenspace that is not pinnable but functions for other reasons?

I may be stating the obvious but that to me in its many forms is what makes many greens so interesting and others sometimes a bit odd and yes, maybe unnecessarily over the top. And it would be interesting and educational for all of us to site real green examples of how this can work well and create some exciting and imaginative play and where it may not. After a while we will probably be giving examples for Archie's original question of what's "over the edge".

We will probably end up coming up with examples that show courses and greens that have the "flexibility" to create the kind of "play variability" that Ed Baker mentioned at Salem that was so much fun. If you read his last post he coincidentally shot the same score under entirely different green speed conditions and had a ball doing it both times. Apparently his mindset and approach to both rounds was entirely different too. It sounds to me like Ed Baker probably felt he played two entirely different golf courses although in both cases it was just Salem!

That to me is excellent "flexibility" at Salem and sort of proves to me that its greens are well designed to continue to function well across the green speed spectrum and still be reasonable somehow although probably offering a wide variety of strategic possibilities.

In the last few years I've been searching some of these older greens (with the modern greenspeeds) to see how they still do accomodate various pin positions (or lack of them) and what it all means to what any golfer needs to do.

I've run across a few courses and a few greens that all of this seems to be getting to the outer limits of function but somehow some of these greens are so good and imaginative that they are still working!

The way to do it is to just search out the old hole plugs or fill-ins. On some greens you can find up to 10-12 of them. It seemed to me that Somerset Hills was very high on unpinnable greenspace but what was still pinnable and how the unpinnable space worked with the pinnable was really very neat and impressive. I felt on a few greens at SH that maybe 75% of their greenspace was unpinnable but very functional and interesting in how it worked with what was left. On the 13th for instance I counted about seven old hole plugs in a perfectly straight line across the green's impressive mid-swale. The entire first half of the green seemed unpinnable to me!

Probably the most extreme example I've seen to date was the 4th at Apawamis that had pinnable space in a thin line all across the front of the green with the rest being basically an enormous "kick-up" slope that had the potential to filter balls back to the front or improperly played approaches off to the left somehow! This green was apparently too much for the members (and Bill Perlee) and has recently been redesigned by Gil Hanse. I shouldn't say redesigned I should probably say restored because originally it appears that the green may have had a series of front to back "steps" that Gil and Rodney are trying to recreate.

There are so many interesting examples out there and how they are still working somehow.

And then when you see a guy like Bill Coore crouching low in front of a green and pointing out how some amazingly interesting things are going to happen to the ball with various shots and trajectories on some of the new greens coming like #7 at Friar's Head, you are encouraged anew!

Form does follow function somehow or should. The spectrum of how it does is so interesting. And when it doesn't it is quite apparent and very quickly apparent.

It probably doesn't work well for an architect to just create greens that look good and interesting or photogenic or whatever. They have to pass the ball test too!

For the architects it's probably sort of like how my Dad taught me how to play golf and hit the ball. He just taught me all the fundamentals and how to adjust them for various shots and shot types. Golfers of his era hit the ball many more and different ways then most of us do today. And the flip-side of that education (he told me) was that when things are going wrong to just apply those fundamental and their variations because ultimately there is only one real teacher and guide in golf and it's the ball!

Think about that! How cool is that? Let the ball be your teacher and your guide. And I guess that would work perfectly too for good architects and what they create on the ground.

I'm not certain of it but I think that a designer like Bill Coore spends endless hours with his team creating and analyzing this kind of thing and I also feel that Ben Crenshaw comes in from time to time and puts his stamp on it. Crenshaw, in my opinion, probably has a wholly unique talent in doing this because of what he is as a golfer (extraordinary putting, chipping ability and imagination). I think that Ben can just LOOK at what is getting created and is created and probably just "feel it in his bones", if you know what I mean. And that is probably when good things and great greens get created and also when mistakes don't get made!

When all is said and done they probably do let the ball be their guide and generate the test--and if things aren't right they probably adjust it! It's sort of like something George Bahto posted on here a couple of years ago. He said he once spent hours on the right fairway shoulder of NGLA's redan just tossing and rolling the ball in all kinds of directions! And what an incredible spot that must be for an architectural TEST! If you do stuff like that long enough really good golf architecture probably just gets imbued into your bones!

Matt_Ward

over the edge greens
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2001, 09:34:00 AM »
TEPaul:

Amen, to the ball test. If sections of a green are overwhelmingly in defiance of the ball test you don't have a green you have miniature golf. Just add the windmills, the clown's mouth and the loop-to-loop!

Architects need to up the ante on tee to green play as well. Sometimes the focus is the green and everything else gets second consideration.

Good post Tom!

Patrick_Mucci

over the edge greens
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2001, 02:00:00 PM »
Matt, Tom, TEPaul,

Has no one heard of "SHOT VALUE" ?

Matt_Ward

over the edge greens
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2001, 02:49:00 PM »
Pat:

You're preaching to the choir! I just don't enjoy greens that are cut beyond what physics can do for ball movement. Let's keep golf as a "skill" game and not one that requires an inordinate amount of "luck."

archie

over the edge greens
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2001, 05:59:00 AM »
Posted the question as to the greens, figured I'd react to the comments. Not that ratings are my basis, but it seems the universally accepted great golf courses have greens that are very difficult or a little over the top/edge. How about Pinehurst, Augusta, Pine Valley, NGLA (TEPaul fav) and Shinnecock, all pretty tricky. New ones and sleepers such as Sand Hills, Pac Dunes, Somerset Hills, Philly Cricket, Rolling Green (note the area bias) and company are all pretty hard if not over the top, as greens go. Note all the interest/controversy re: Running Deer and Galloway here in South Jersey. Still thinkinggggg!

Jeff_Brauer

over the edge greens
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2001, 10:12:00 AM »
Thought of this thread last night while attending a preseason hockey game. While the game in Philly/Ny game was stopped to watch the Bush speech, ours went on. And a nearby patron, who knows me and my work, strolls over and says, "I just played Cowboys.  Isn't that second green a bit over the top? I was over the pin on the left side and couldn't stop my approach putt near the hole from above the pin!" Also, the fairway bunker on 14 is so steep it is hard to get a good stance and play out of on the far side of the bunker towards the green. Why would you design somethng like that?", as if this is the most important thing going on in the world.

Both holes are short fours.  The green on no. 2 does have more than standard contour, especially on the left, probably the influence of some internet group! Is it over the top to ask someone to stay below the hole with a short iron to the "premium pin" location?

Ditto for 14. Following the Ross dictum of making fairway bunkers harder from the outside to punish a big miss more than a small one, is a steep, unplayable (to the green) fairway bunker shot over the top on a short 4?

Is it wrong to have a few hazards requiring sideways play in select sposts, or should a course allow an unfettered, makeable shot directly at the pin wherever your ball lands, as so many believe? It's funny how golfers usually talk about the two bad shots they have all day.  One problem with being a golf architect, and playing your own course, is that if you don't pull of a shot, you have only yourself to blame, one way or the other!

So, TEPaul, I don't think my over the top features made for a design lesson with this particular golfer. I got slammed harder than a cross check to the boards!

Jeff

Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Mike_Cirba

over the edge greens
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2001, 10:50:00 AM »
Jeff,

So....blaming that over the top green on this Discussion Group, huh??  

"Well...you see...these strange group of guys on the Internet made me do it...they call themselves GCA, and they have these discussions...see...and well...I couldn't help myself....but, if you knew them...I think you'd understand...er...ah..."

Jeff, Jeff, Jeff...you missed the perfect opportunity!  As I see it, one of the great things about being an architect is that you only have to be a politician until you actually GET the job and finish the course.  After that, you can call 'em as you see 'em and do everything up to and including questioning this guy's manhood for not being up to the challenge you offered.

You could of asked the simple questions..."what were you doing in that bunker?"  "perhaps I should have built a ramp out of it for your ball to roll to the green?" "perhaps you should tell me what that bunker should look like to accomodate your woeful game?"  

A whole similar set of questions could be asked about his predicament above the hole on the short par four.  

People will be quick to criticize anything, but not if you ask very simple, effective questions in return.  

In any case, I'm glad to hear that you added some "unfair" elements!  Way to go, and if push comes to shove, remember; you can always blame us nutcases on GCA!

Jeff_Brauer

over the edge greens
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2001, 01:33:00 PM »
Mike,

Please remember I have to sit next to this guy for 41 hockey games.  And we do sit in the first row of the upper deck, where disputes have almost ended (don't ask me how I know this) with one or both participants falling over the edge. Otherwise, your "Zingers for sissy swingers" thread would make for good conversation here. Bring em on, as most of us archies would be eternally grateful!

Also, recall that this is the course where someone suggested service was so complete that they actually had someone play the shots for you!

Jeff

Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back