News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul Turner

Great long par 3s
« on: September 20, 2001, 07:15:00 PM »
To compliment Rich Goodale's post on short par 3s.  How about the great LONG one shotters of the world, 200+ yds ?

I guess everyone's favourite would be the greatest hole of them all, the 16th at Cypress Point.  But there a plenty of other great examples and it's no coincidence that these holes are often the most spectacular on a course. They're also often the toughest holes and if a player hits a fine tee shot, I reckon it sticks in the old memory longer than any other type.

The old courses of GB&I are very strong in this category. Here's an eclectic 18 (sticking with #).

1 Berkshire Blue
2 Royal Worlington (Woking)
3 Sandwich (Royal Aberdeen)
4 Royal County Down
5 Royal Lytham
6 West Sussex (Painswick)
7 Southerndown
8 Woodhall Spa
9 Cavendish
10 Swinley Forest
11 Royal Ashdown Forest
12 West Sussex
13 Addington (Notts  )
14 Royal Portrush
15 Ballybunion
16 Berkshire Red
17 St Enodoc
18 Saunton West

Breaking 60 would be some accomplishment on that course!

Any other great examples where you can create a career shot? Anyone want to do a US eclectic?

Tim_Weiman

Great long par 3s
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2001, 08:51:00 AM »
Paul turner:

Wow!  That's quite a list.

I don't think I could match that, but will mention one long par 3 that we'll see at next year's US Open: the 17th at Bethpage Black.

Tim Weiman

aclayman

Great long par 3s
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2001, 08:54:00 AM »
One of my most recent GREATS, was the 4th at San Francisco GC. At 211 yds. from the white tees, this well bunkered, slight cut-green into the prevailing misty, heavy wind is most intimidating. But after throwing the #1 handicap hole at you on #2, I thought this must just be another Tillie masterpiece.

FYI- The boys were bored one day at CPC so they pulled out a fishing line and measured  the actual carry(of the seawall) on the 16th.
Anyone care to guess the result?

Jim Reilly

Great long par 3s
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2001, 02:13:00 AM »
The 20th at St. George's Hill and the 13th at the Addington were the first two that spring to mind.  I also like the 16th at Carnoustie.  In the states, I would nominate no. 3 at Sand Hills and No. 4 at Riviera.

JamieS

Great long par 3s
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2001, 05:30:00 AM »
Pine Valley #5, 225-245 yds.

Depending on your tee shot, this hole could also make the lists of the great short par 4's or 5's.

Scott_Burroughs

Great long par 3s
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2001, 06:15:00 AM »
The long par 3 was one of Donald Ross' specialties as he usually had one in the 220 range on most designs.  A few are #9 at Hope Valley, #13 at Mid Pines, #8 at Whippoorwill (though a bit too Ted Robinson for me), #11 at Mark Twain (if they have modern green speeds on this green, it's impossible to keep on), #6 at #2, #5 at Pine Needles.

Non-Ross:

I'll get to try out the 2 at Lehigh in a couple weeks.

#12 at Pebble.
#3 at Mauna Kea.
#3 at Olympic.

Scott_Burroughs

Great long par 3s
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2001, 06:27:00 AM »
How could I forget?  Just two weeks ago I tempted #12 at The Dunes G&BC in Myrtle Beach from the tips, just to try it.  Aye chihuahua!  My 3-wood came up about 5 yards short.  

For those who don't know, it's 245 from the tips and it's about 230-235 carry over the marsh.

The stretch of 11-12-13 at the Dunes may have few rivals outside of ANGC.

Jim Reilly

Great long par 3s
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2001, 06:30:00 AM »
Scott,

I thought Whippoorwill was Banks.  I haven't seen Whipporwill, but I've heard it is supposed to be a fine quirky course.  

I'm curious, which attributes of Ted Robinson are your referring to?  greens with three artificial tiers? pancake flat round bunkers (I really can't call them pots since they're flat) or some type of vegas style "waterscape"?

Mike_Cirba

Great long par 3s
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2001, 06:34:00 AM »
Scott,

I think The Dunes is a really, really good golf course and probably my favorite of RTJ Sr.'s many creations.

The greens and bunkering are exceptional, and the course fits the land very well.  For those who believe Myrtle Beach to be an architectural wasteland, I have no qualms pointing out the gems like TD.  

We've all heard of the vaunted, heroic 13th, but there's a lot of other stuff going on there, particularly around the greens, that is just as good.  

Gib_Papazian

Great long par 3s
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2001, 07:38:00 AM »
I think as a group, we must be slipping . . .

#6 at Fishers Island?

#11 at The Creek . . . .

#9 at Yale?

#4 at Riviera.

#10 at Bel Air.

Bob_Huntley

Great long par 3s
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2001, 08:10:00 PM »
Adam:

196 yards

Will E

Great long par 3s
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2001, 08:58:00 PM »
Not many of us are skilled enough to thread a 2 iron 226 yards to a pin that belongs on a short par 5 green (see Beverly #17).

That being said a great long par 3 needs to be fair and tough.

#7 at Casa de Campo
#9 @ Yale and PRC
#11 @ Creek and Crystal Downs
#17 at Oakland Hills

Keith Williams

Great long par 3s
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2001, 09:13:00 AM »
Two long par 3's from a couple of modern designs:

#6 (formerly #15) Pinon Hills, Farmington NM: 228 yards into a large arroyo; rock outcropping directly behind green, cliffs to the right.

#7 Old Works, Anaconda, Montana:  238 yards downhill off a mountain of black copper slag to an emerald green surrounded by jet black sand.  Maybe one of the most striking holes I have ever seen.  One of Jack's favorites too!

Scott_Burroughs

Great long par 3s
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2001, 10:10:00 AM »
Gib,
I would have mentioned #4 at the Riv, but it was already mentioned before you  

Jim,
Whippoorwill is Ross according to  Golfcourse.com, golfweb.com, and my scorecard.  Maybe Banks redesigned/renovated.  Wasn't he more of a builder than a designer?

About Ted Robinson, I was referring to the waterscape look.  An artificial-looking horseshoe pond around 3/4 of the green.  Maybe even a waterfall, I don't remember exactly, as I was high from flushing a 2-iron and sticking it pin high on the 226 yard hole and then noticing the hellacious uphill trek I faced on the next hole.

Yes, Whippoorwill is a fine layout with much of the quirk in holes 6 and 7.

Mike,
I agree with you about the bunkering and greens at The Dunes.  I'm still trying to figure out another pinnable location besides back left on 18.  The par 5's may not be long, but the greens sure are well-protected.

The only "problem" with the course were the numerous RTJ pinched fairway landing areas.  That and not knowing that I couldn't hit driver from the next-to-back tees on 13.

Ran Morrissett

Great long par 3s
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2001, 10:47:00 AM »
Paul,

I wonder how the all-U.K. course compares to an all-U.S. one? I guess the U.S. has more courses to choose from and probably more variety given its greater land mass?

1. ??
2. Shinnecock Hills
3. Olympic
4. Riviera or Lookout Mountain
5. Fishers Island
6. French Lick
7. Casa de Campo  
8. Camargo
9. Yale
10. Metacomet
11. The Creek (the 5th Biaritz hole if you count Lookout)
12. Wannamoiset
13. Bel-Air
14. Maidstone   (a friend once hit a punch threee wood)
15. Pinehurst #2
16. Cypress Point
17. Merion
18. Garden City

From both lists, my three favorites would be 1) 16 CPC, 2) 9 Yale and 3) 13 Addington.

Cheers,

Scott_Burroughs

Great long par 3s
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2001, 10:58:00 AM »
#3 at Olympic over #3 at Mauna Kea?  

john f

Great long par 3s
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2001, 11:16:00 AM »
How about:

#11 at Talking Stick North
#3 Sand Hills
#8 TPC Sawgrass

Russell

Great long par 3s
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2001, 11:44:00 AM »
Ran,
No mention of LACC North's beasts?

Ed_Baker

Great long par 3s
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2001, 12:02:00 PM »
#11 Charles River (see Pictures and description in course profile section)

239 yds. nasty green,neat bunkering,front pins make par from short of green a miracle.

Most famous quote on the hole from Francis Quimet" The most difficult 2nd shot at Charles River is the chip on 11!"

Ran Morrissett

Great long par 3s
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2001, 12:19:00 PM »
Ed, How could I forget! I've let CRCC down      though at least The Creek's is awesomely good too (as is LA North's).

Tim_Codd

Great long par 3s
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2001, 02:04:00 PM »
Ran
For 1. the first at Greenspring Valley Hunt Club. Also the only course in America to begin and end with a Par 3. (unless anybody else knows of one).
              Tim

Paul_Daley

Great long par 3s
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2001, 02:33:00 PM »
My favourite long par three is the 4th hole East Course: Royal Melbourne. You may be more familiar with it as the 16th on the Composite Course.

It was a "narrow squeak" ... just making your criteria by one yard!

Jim Reilly

Great long par 3s
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2001, 03:16:00 PM »
After a long night of drinking I've come home to open this thread and the hole that springs to mind is the 18th at the Valley course at Portrush.  What a way to finish if you have a good score going or are tight in a match.  I played it alone on a fine summer evening in shirt sleves, but I do remember that the wind was blowing well into me come the 18th (and who says a 1 shotter can't be a great finish).

Paul Turner

Great long par 3s
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2001, 03:21:00 PM »
Ran

With a bit more thought, maybe I should have chosen Waterville at the 12th.  Also, I'm guessing a little about the yardage at The Cavendish (I only took a brief look) but it is worthy of that company.  

There's probably a better choice for the 7th hole too, but I can't think of one.  Got any suggestions?

My favourite links hole choice is Portrush and The Addington for inland.  And coincidentally, the next best inland long par 3 is probably Notts.

As for an eclectic best 18 of UK+Ir vs US.  It would be just down to personal taste,  both define "world class holes".  It depends if you prefer an 18 holes from diverse terrain or an 18 dominated by links holes.

Matt_Ward

Great long par 3s
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2001, 05:03:00 PM »
My listing for long par-3's from the northern NJ and NY metro area as they are located on the scorecard include the following:

1). Westchester CC (slim pickings here)
2). Shinnecock Hills
3). Winged Foot / West
4). The Stanwich Club
5). Fisher's Island
6). Preakness Hills
7). ???
8). Bowling Green or Whippoorwill
9). Yale
10). Winged Foot / West
11). The Creek
12). Montauk Downs
13). The Knoll
14). Southward Ho or Plainfield
15). ???
16). The Bridge or Hudson National
17). Bethpage Black or Forsgate / Banks
18). Garden City GC, Forest Hill Field Club or White Beeches CC

I'm still trying to find holes for #7 and #15. Anybody have any suggestions or better holes than the ones mentioned above???

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back