News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

THuckaby2

Fast Play-Success!:)
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2001, 06:52:00 AM »
John - shhhhh!  Screw Pete, I don't want any more people than necessary to find out about Pajaro.  We gotta keep this place a secret lest it be over-run.

Have a GREAT time up in golf heaven this weekend... I am absolutely dying I can't join you guys.

TH

ps - your email addy the same?  We need to re-connect now that you're here.
tom.huckaby@clorox.com

ForkaB

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2001, 07:21:00 AM »
Dick

In fact JohnV is 5' 9" or so while I am 6' 2", but we are both masters of disguise.

BarnyF

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2001, 07:39:00 AM »
If I saw that bunch behind me I would not only play faster I would run for the hills.

Slag_Bandoon

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2001, 05:31:00 PM »
Pete, Did 'Post-round' beer purchases go up that Wednesday?  I've got a strong feeling you got that 5 bucks right back, and then some.  P.T. Barnum lives!  

(The "Referee" giddup was a nice touch. Maybe next week you can have a gladiator with whip and sword)  

All around great idea,  encore!  Time to go on tour with your plan.  STING can play warmup.

Steve Wilson

« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2001, 05:51:00 PM »
N:

The first two times I playee Dornoch in June of 1997 and again in 1998, they only allowed twosomes out prior to ten a.m.  My experience in 2000 would indicate they have since discontinued this policy.  I thought it was brilliant.  

Hmmm?  Maybe I could book a foursome at TOC and take three caddies?

Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2001, 07:34:00 PM »
Pete:

Do you think your concept could be implemented at a private club?  What type of incentives would you recommend?

Pete aka "Fast Freddie"

« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2001, 08:07:00 AM »
Lou,
I think it will work anywhere.
The biggest obstacle is getting management or the committee firmly behind it. That's why I started with a Wednesday before noon. I wanted to try a day when we would have the biggest chance of success. After a few of these days I plan to expand it to more time and other days. We had a few players say,
"Well, I'll try it but I don't think I'll be playing here on Wednesdays anymore." These were some of the people who were most ecstatic about it after they finished in under four. Self fulfillment is a big motivator. Drink chits or a discount in the golf shop may work at a private club. I also thought about having a "Fast Play Tournament" at the end of the year for those who can qualify a certain number of Wednesdays. The charity part is a good incentive. If you meet with resistance try it a couple of hours on an off day. Word of mouth will make it grow. We all know playing without waiting is better for your game. A better score could certainly be incentive enough. E-mail me for
specifics at petepajaro@aol.com.  

peter_p

« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2001, 08:10:00 AM »
I've e-mailed the executive director of the Oregon Golf Assoc about this thread, suggesting that it might be a good idea to publicize this throughtout the state. Maybe that will get other efforts under way.

John_Conley

« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2001, 05:35:00 AM »
3:05 is an incredibly fast time for a foursome to play a round of golf.  GREAT JOB!!    I used to be able to finish a 9 per hour if I played alone and could do a twosome in 2:30-2:45 if we really hauled.  (This was on a walkable course with no one on it.)  Playing 4 in anything under 3:30 is commendable.  Great job.

Details please.  I don't think it is possible to do that without certain conditions.  I see from the photo you are walking.  Is it a development course with long trips from green to tee (the only kind I see in Florida)?

How long is the course and did you play the back tees?  With a modern standard in our market of 7300+, even if you play it a much more reasonable number you have to drive (or in your case since the course seems to allow walking) past several boxes to get to a "member-type" tee.  I find this to greatly increase time per round.

What was the format of the game?  Specifically, was it at friendly match play with conceded putts and pick-ups once out of a hole or were all shots counted and all putts holed?  I assume it was a casual game.

I find some "fast-play" initiatives ridiculous and others - like this one - wonderful.  A friend of mine told me a story from the FSGA Senior Amateur a few years ago.  They played threesomes and one player, one of Florida's greatest amateurs ever, admirably chose to walk.  This group was put on the clock for falling a bit behind the group in front and wound up finishing in line with the allotted time.  

It seems that the walker had to cover long distances to get from green to tee and his playing partners would wait on the box for him.  Did I mention FSGA was allowing 3:45 to 3:50 for each group?  A rules official kept harrassing them to keep up with the group ahead (the event was early in the year and they were trying to make a statement about slow play in response to the criticisms they'd received in the past).

You and I both know that anything under 4 hours is tolerable for threesomes playing tournament conditions.  The fact that this group did not play as fast as the group in front of them did not make them the problem.

Much of the slow-play issue is a direct result of the courses built.  A foursome in competition playing at 7000 yards on a Florida course will take 4:30 on average if they play a course with housing.  Some of the earliest groups may make it inside that number, but once one group takes that long the groups behind won't be playing in less.

Congratutlations on such a success with your initiative.  I'd like to hear more about the conditions of the day regarding course type and set-up.  Too often I hear people talk about how long it takes to play without mention of the conditions.

My boss thinks anything over 4:00 is too long, so he gets impatient at a nicer modern course if it is typically busy.  To expect the same pace of play that he enjoys at his limited membership, walkable private club would be a mistake.

Many of my posts make mention of how we would all benefit from courses built with less overall yardage.  6200 par 70 is a nice number.  Pace of play is a big reason for my sentiment.

ForkaB

« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2001, 06:15:00 AM »
John

Let me give you a quick and probably typo-strewn answer to some of your quesitons (I'm off to Bandon in 2 hours! ).

The course is a 6300 or so par 72 (Pete can verify).  We played from the tips.  We played a better ball game and conceded a few putts after the hole had been decided.  There were a small number (under 5) of pick-up-I'm-out-of-the-hole situations.  In general a pretty normal game of freindly golf.

The course is an older one (1920's?) which is set in rolling hills and moderately easy to walk.  There are no long tee to green walks, but few short ones either.   Average of about 50 yards, I would say.  The course played generally fast and firm (i.e. you could run balls onto some greens) but not at all short.  Nobody came close to reaching any of the par-4's, for example--even JohnV who hits the ball like Tiger on steroids (of course he wasn't hitting it always straight on that day ).

The first 3 holes or so, I was conscious of our trying to play fast, because of the occasion.  However, after the 3rd hole or so, when we realised that the 3-ball ahead of us was a hole ahead of us (ever been to the dog tracks?--"There goes SWIFTY!!!!!") and the 4-ball behind us was nearly a hole behind us, we settled into a quick but unhurried pace.

IT CAN BE DONE!

Cheers

Rich

John_Conley

« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2001, 07:20:00 AM »
Rich:

Thanks for your prompt reply.  Have a great time in Oregon.

Your response begs the question, why aren't more courses built this way?  I would like to play at that pace, but nearly every course we have in my market isn't conducive.

If other courses pick up on this success, my suspicion is that they will be more like that course than the 7000-7400 monsters with real estate, mandatory golf cars, and long trips across the street to the next tee.

I'd vote with my wallet, but sadly have few courses to play like the one you describe.

John_Conley

« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2001, 07:22:00 AM »
P.S.  Shouldn't all Rich Goodale descriptions of long ball prowess heretofore decree that one drives the ball "nearly as far as Ty Tryon"?

Had to get that one in!    Sorry to see his starts were delayed and I do wish him well.

aclayman

« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2001, 01:51:00 PM »
Don't think its that easy guys. There was alot of prep work for this innaugral event.
One of the key points to pete's FPW was that they have you sign a contract that you will play under their rules and will be placed into position if behind. This document while not necc. legal sets the tone for the day and is a major part of the complience, psychology.
And ass for our friend BarnyF, it is fairly obvious that you are the type who slows down when someone even gets close to breathing on your more than likely naked self.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2001, 03:02:00 PM »
Fellas,

Great pictures, but.....
get rid of the socks and get some peds !  

Magnus Sans Babblefish

« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2001, 09:58:00 AM »
  Peds? Vas ist peds?
 Ped-o-meters?  

BarnyF

« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2001, 05:17:00 PM »
aclayman,

Only you hairdresser knows for sure.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2001, 05:53:00 AM »
Could it be that Dan King and Mike Strantz are one and the same?    Either that or a retired Al Hrabosky with a new disposition.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back