News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Great long par 3s
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2001, 05:18:00 PM »
Paul, Western Gailes' 7th makes for a great inclusion. Also, the 3rd at Elie is exceptional but probably not as good as Royal Aberdeen's.

Paul Turner

Great long par 3s
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2001, 05:30:00 PM »
Ran

I did think of those two, but Elie's 3rd is rather fuzzy in my memory and I remember it more by reputation than detail.  

For some reason I thought the 7th at W Gailes was medium in length.  And you're right, it's a stronger choice than Southerndown.

Jim_Kennedy

Great long par 3s
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2001, 05:50:00 PM »
The 6th at the Concord, Kiamesha Lake, NY.
The green sits atop a 20'high mesa that has a rock outcropping at its left and a large flashed bunker protecting its right. The middle is open, but very steep if trying the run-up.
The green itself is sloped towards the middle from both sides and a little from back to front. Played from 250 yds. it presents a formidable challenge. Two of the players in our group laid up and hit wedges, both parred. A great hole in my opinion.    

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

joe zaepfel

Great long par 3s
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2001, 06:24:00 PM »
jim reilly, you are dead on with the Portrush Valley #18, it is undeniably strong. Personally, #17 is a super hole in my mind as a four banger also.

Cory

Great long par 3s
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2001, 06:50:00 PM »
#3 Sand Hills
Depending on the direction of the wind, you can hit anything from a driver to a 5 iron.  The tee box is elevated and it is a beautiful hole.  The whole Sand Hills course is stunning.

Mike C

Great long par 3s
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2001, 07:18:00 PM »
I don't believe the 3rd at Myopia Hunt has been mentioned.....253 yds that always seems to play into the wind.  

Paul_Daley

Great long par 3s
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2001, 07:27:00 PM »
Ran:

I thought about the ones you mentioned; Western Gailes, Elie and Royal Aberdeen are all super holes.

While still thinking, I'll never forget the tingle I experienced when tackling Prestwick's blind 'Himalaya' for the first time. Then, it was a mixture of terror and excitement. Now, having played it 5-6 times the terror is gone, just leaving pure excitement.

The 6th hole at Royal Portrush (Colt) may also qualify as an outstanding long par 3?

Scott_Burroughs

Great long par 3s
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2001, 07:59:00 PM »
Yet another #3 is at Pasatiempo.  Don't be above the hole.  Or right of the green.  Or left.

JamieS

Great long par 3s
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2001, 08:59:00 AM »
Matt Ward,

There is a great long par 3 at Ridgewood CC, I think it is on the East Nine, I'm not sure of the hole #...maybe 6 or 7.

I haven't played the East nine in some time, but what I remember of it was about 225-235 yards downhill to a large but difficult green.

aclayman

Great long par 3s
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2001, 09:23:00 PM »
Bob- The number I had was 197 but with any standard deviation..YOU ARE CORRECT SIR. well done.

John_Conley

Great long par 3s
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2001, 05:04:00 AM »
The longest par 3 ever used in the United States open is #17 at Interlachen, played at 268 yards.  The tee was back where the existing rain shelter is off the 16th green.  Bobby Jones did not reach the green in any of his 4 rounds and I believe there were only 2 birdies all week.

The hole today stretches to about 225 yards and still belongs on any list of great par 3s.

Interesting note:  Hudson National has TWO holes at about 250.  The 16th works quite well because it plays down hill.  The other is on the front and a bit messy.  They were unable to get the intended tee in place because of wetlands and have a hole with 110 or 250 yard options.

Matt_Ward

Great long par 3s
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2001, 08:11:00 PM »
JamieS:

Thanks for the heads-up on Ridgewood's 6th hole on the East Course.

The hole played tough during the Sr. PGA and it probably is a draw with the 6th at Preakness Hills.

Still wondering about choices for the  7th and 15th hole in the NY / NJ metro area.

John Bernhardt

Great long par 3s
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2001, 08:27:00 PM »
Adam and Bob, thank you for reminding me how weak my mind is. 197/6 yards over water can bring my swing to its knees. I feel the 16th at Carnoustee is as strong a long par 3 as exists on this planet.

Ran Morrissett

Great long par 3s
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2001, 08:55:00 PM »
Matt, the 7th on Baltusrol Upper is a very fine one.

Corey_Johnson

Great long par 3s
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2001, 10:13:00 AM »
What about the fourth(?) hole at Mountain Ridge in Caldwell N.J.

Matt_Ward

Great long par 3s
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2001, 11:59:00 AM »
Thanks Ran.

The choice of the Upper is good, but I think we can still find something more demanding. I'll keep my thinking hat on.

Corey, the fourth at Mountain Ridge is good but at 213 yards it really comes in second place behind Stanwich's.

Let's see what other options are still possible. Thanks guys.

Patrick_Mucci

Great long par 3s
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2001, 03:14:00 PM »
Matt,

I think the right hand out of bounds at the sixth at Preakness Hills makes it a little tougher.  In addition, at 238, level, verus Ridgewood's 6th's substantial downhill and ability to hit short and run it up from afar, make Preakness Hills's 6th harder to par, and easier to make a big number on.

However, wind would seem to be more of a factor at Ridgewood, due to all the trees left and right at Preakness Hills.

I bogied it today.

Herb_Flood

Great long par 3s
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2001, 07:46:00 PM »
How about #16 at CRUDEN BAY...into the wind, it's a driver with a draw around the huge sand dune on the left. Actually, it's an easy par 4!

Scott_Burroughs

Great long par 3s
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2001, 08:50:00 AM »
I looked again at my Whippoorwill scorecard and it has both Ross and Banks as the architects.  So, Jim, we're both right.

J Ellison

Great long par 3s
« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2001, 09:32:00 PM »
The 13th at The Island Golf Club, Corballis, Co. Dublin at 235 is a fine example of Hawtree and Hackett.

J Ellison

Great long par 3s
« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2001, 09:33:00 PM »
The 13th at The Island Golf Club, Corballis, Co. Dublin at 235 is a fine example of Hawtree and Hackett.

TEPaul

Great long par 3s
« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2001, 02:56:00 AM »
Jim Reilly:

The 18th Portrush's Valley course! I played that the other day and it is an interesting one! I did not have a card and although we were playing from the back markers on the course many of them were nowhere near all the way back. I recall playing that hole from around 185-190 with a side wind (off the sea) that was not helping. I did notice that going at the green you certainly had to carry onto the putting surface as otherwise you were down a very steep slope. When I got to the green I looked back and saw a tee box at the very top of the hill quite removed from the tees we played from. Was that the one you played from and if so what's the distance of the hole from there? Just looking back at that high tee looked extra windy. There was nothing to protect you up there and it must be really wind buffeting up there. Also if that tee makes the hole well over 200yds I really don't see where the golfer could possibly bailout or try to play safe on that hole since you really did need to carry to the green if hitting it straight at it. The only possible place I could see was to try to play to the shorter #10 tee boxes that sort of melded into #18 on the left. That would make the safe play a bit odd!

Also, how about that really long par 3 also on The Valley course of Portrush--#6 or #7-about 237yds? And for good long par 3s if we're talking about Portrush we shouldn't  forget "Calamity"--#14 Dunluce!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back