News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Cirba

Twisted Dune - The Ultimate SandCastle
« on: September 24, 2001, 07:52:00 AM »
Is there something in the water in NJ that makes grown men with no golf architectural experience decide to devote years of labor, money, and passion to building golf courses?

With respect to Mr. Crump, his example has certainly inspired others.  Just last week we talked here extensively about Ed Carman, who designed and built Running Deer over the course of 17 years.  

There are others, of course.  Developer Eric Bergstol build Pine Barrens GC a few years ago and it has been highly rated by most accounts.    

Yet, of these recent examples, none begins to encompass the scale of effort and vision that Archie Struthers created outside Atlantic City at a course called Twisted Dune.

Described as a labor of love, it is staggering in the immensity of earthmoving and finely detailed playing areas.  According to Matt Ward in "The Jersey Golfer" OVER 2 MILLION cubic yards of soil (sand actually, and thankfully) were moved to create Struther's paean to golf in the old country.

Visually, one cannot help but compare Twisted Dune to Whistling Straits.  The 30 to 50 foot dunes that are EVERYWHERE provide a very similar look, as do the numerous wild bunkers and other sandy areas.  Comparatively, I think Twisted Dune's look more authentic and less manufactured, simply because they tend to be more rounded, less patterned, and more raggedly irregular than the "volcanos" at WS.

Fescues have been planted on the dunes, and while the look is appropriatedly wild, one wonders if their thick growth won't become a maintenance nightmare over time.  Let's just say that this stuff is growing both long and thick, making it difficult to find, much less play wayward balls that enter it.

However, given the windy, open site (there are perhaps 2 trees on the course   ), the playing areas are appropriately WIDE, although my playing partner and I did manage to find the thick stuff a couple of times each.  And, in another enjoyable departure from the very severe, all or nothing green surrounds on many of the holes at WS, the surrounds at TD permit some degree of recovery on most holes, albeit from all sorts of "twisted" lies, undulations, and embankments.  With the type of regular wind both sites get, I found TD more in the spirit of the type of green surrounds one would find in Scotland or Ireland than what Dye created at WS.

Ok...enough of comparing the two, because Twisted Dune is reason for discussion on its own considerable merits.  

Let me also say that I'm not inherently a big fan of either faux Scottish golf, nor of large earthmoving projects.  However, the work done at Twisted Dune is so comprehensive that the illusion is maintained throughout.  It's almost impossible to believe that this was flat farmland bordering what looks to be a sand quarry.  Care was even taken to build dunes along the perimeters of the course so as not to distract from the experience.  The detail work is remarkable, and the entire project was blessed with the fact that the course is built on native sand.  

It's tough to get past the incredible moon-scaped look of the place, but one finds themselves equally impressed with the quality of the golf holes.  

The routing is fairly simple, and perhaps too many holes run parallel (but, I'd defy anyone to notice that without a map).  However, because each hole is singularly encapsulated in dunes, one almost never sees adjacent holes.  

The course starts straightforward enough, with two mid-length par fours, and then a beautiful long par three (up to 235) where a pair of forshortened guardian bunkers stand sentinel depending on wind direction.  

The 4th is an exceptional, long par five, playing uphill and bending right around a monstrous fairway bunker.  The second shot must challenge and carry two bunkers set mid-fairway in a ridge to get the preferred angle for the third, or leave a semi-blind third otherwise.

5 is a short par four, running downhill, where it is all too possible (don't ask how I know!) to overcook the preferred draw from the tee and end up on the wrong side of a 40 foot dune on the left.  Even an accurate drive leaves a pitch to a green that rises up for the first third, and then falls steeply to the back.

The rest of the front nine is solid, if not spectacular beyond the look.  Then comes the 10th, which is one of the best par fives I've seen.  It is effectively a cape hole, requiring a carry past water, and sandy waste, with the hole turning to the left, and then back to the right slightly for the last 130 yards.  There is plenty of room to bail out to the right, but that leaves a completely blind second over a series of dunes, or an awkward angle to play back left.  If one carries the angle on a bold drive, the fairway has a "turbo boost" on the left, which can carry aggressive drives within reach of the green for the second shot.  

In the interest of typing and time, I'll simply add that the rest of the back nine continues this level of excitment and quality.  One excellent hole after another provides incredibly fun golfing challenge and strategic enjoyment.  As others add their comments, I'll probably weigh in later to describe other holes in fuller detail.

I also should mention something else to this group of traditionalists.  The course is meant to play firm and fast, walking is ENCOURAGED, caddies are available, there is no "signage", cart girl, yardage book, or other distracting modern accoutrements.  Instead, there is simple golf and really, really good golf.

There has been a lot of talk on here recently about ranking and ratings and I had to think a lot about where I'd rate Twisted Dune on the "Doak Scale".

This morning, I read Tom Doak's description of a "7", which essentially said that one would recommend anyone within 100 miles to play there due to sound design, solid maintenance, and architectural value.  

That sounds about right to me.        

Matt_Ward

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2001, 09:46:00 AM »
Mike:

Enjoyed reading your comments. I completely concur that Archie has added a golf course that is so different, so unique and so utterly about the thing that is most important to most people -- the golf! What makes TD stand out so much is that it is not in the mold of so many other AC courses. And, as you added, TD is not plastic or some sort of freak show creation.

I believe 7 on the Doak scale is just a bit much (I'd lean to a 6.5 for now / my rating of 7 in Jersey Golfer was in regards to "just" Jersey courses) because I'd like to reserve that until the conditions can match up to the vision. When I played it there were still elements which were raw. I know that will change and I'm interested in knowing how much things have improved since my visit about 8 weeks ago.

The routing is fairly simplistic, but the design keeps you focused throughout the round. Mediocrity is never on the agenda at TD.

I also credit Archie in giving players the option in hitting the driver on nearly every hole -- minus the par-3's, although players may need drivers from the tips on #3!!!

You don't have "trick" holes where the architect takes clubs away from the player. On nearly all of the holes the player is given an array of options.

As I said previously on another thread I believe the 14th at TD is one of the most special holes I've seen in quite some time. When you look at the hole it just CAPTURES your attention. Your line of play is dependent upon how frisky you want to be. The fairway bunkers on this hole, and on so many others, are not the usual cookie-cutter creations you see on so many other courses. The hole really has elements you might find at Black Diamond and its quarry holes.

Even after you find the fairway the approach must be gauged with utmost precision. I believe it's far to say that TD may have the finest back nine among all public courses in New Jersey. The weak link? The finishing hole is long, but it strains to get you back to the clubhouse area and is really more about physical length than strategy. I would like to have seen Archie place bunkers in the MIDDLE of the fairway (aka what Tom Doak did at the 3rd at Pac Dunes) in order to make players really think rather than just blast away.

That's just a small aside -- overall TD, like Running Deer to a large extent and Pine Barrens to a lesser degree, shows the Jersey impulse on "pushing the envelope."

Archie and his fine group of people deserve high praise in not just following trends but SETTING THEM! No serious observer of golf, I guess that includes all GCA contributors, should miss TD when in the AC area. In a town that prides itself in gambling, TD is one sure bet!

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2001, 10:03:00 AM »
Matt,

Earlier this morning, I re-read your review in "Jersey Golfer", and noted that you said the course opened perhaps too early given conditions when you played.

I'm happy to report that it's maturing rapidly, without resorting to over-watering.  Archie shared with me that the course is starting to come together maintenance-wise in a way that is consistent with his clear intent on "firm and fast".  By next autumn, given some decent weather, it should be wonderful given the native sand underbase.  

A couple of other thoughts.  It was hard for me to not mention the 14th.  One other thing I thought was fabulous there was the hogbacked, upsloped fairway, which would really deflect a shot to the left (and potentially half-blind) that did not challenge the bunker complex you mentioned.  You're right...14 is a GREAT Hole, but then again, so is 10, 11, 15, 16, and 17 on the back!  

As far as 18, I really liked it a great deal.  There is that steep bunker out in the left landing zone that just stairs you in the face.  Of course, there is plenty of room out to the right, but that angle is sort of blocked on the approach by a banked collar of rough that falls into the green complex from the right.  The preferred angle is definitely from the left side, nearest that behemoth of sand.

Finally, I am quite certain that the back nine of TD is the best nine public holes in the state.  At this point, I'm simply debating with myself as to whether the whole course just should move to the top of that list!

It's certainly the most enjoyable!

How pure is it?  The golf course eschews ball-washers!!!  

BarnyF

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2001, 10:10:00 AM »
Mike,

If I am correct in assuming you are a left handed golfer...do you refer to all right to left shots as draws...and do you do this as a writer and a golfer both?

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2001, 10:20:00 AM »
BarnyF,

You are quite observant.  Yes, I describe my shots for general understanding using mirror image.  For instance, I have the lowest, quickest turning, fastest running, snapping "fade" you've ever seen.  

archie s.

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2001, 01:03:00 PM »
Hey Mike , sorry I couldn't join you for your first look at "Twisted", I'm sure we will get to play there some day soon. I have to give a lot of credit to the Fraser Construction shapers for their painstaking effort in construction. I was a terrible pain in the ass as I harassed them until we got the dunes to fit each hole. Once they got the feel of what we were looking for, they really outdid themselves. Casey and his guys are a class act, and a pleasure to work with.

I was happy to see you liked #5 , two of my favorite holes. Both have some risk, reward possibilities, particularly as the course firms up. Would love some suggestions on how to let people who truly like to walk know that there is a place for them at Twisted Dune, I still find it hard to believe that the East Coast doesn't have more traditionalists than the midwest or west. How was the walk for you?

Somehow I have to get our brethren here in the states past the can't lose a ball or have a bad lie mentality. In Ireland they would laugh at someone looking for a ball in the gorse, or "heavy",as they refer to it, and the rest of the group would play on!

Gonna have a clambake, or crabfest, or something late October, make sure you send me an address to get you on our short list of invitees that might like some tournament golf at Twisted. Thank you for your nice comments & God bless!

Craig_Rokke

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2001, 01:46:00 PM »
I had a hunch a thorough Cirba-post would be forthcoming! Glad to hear you enjoyed the experience. Par 5's don't seem to garner a lot of praise here, but after playing #4 and #10, I'll agree that they are both very fine golf holes. I know I have not played a better public course in Jersey.

JBergan

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2001, 03:17:00 PM »
I passed TD last year on the way to Harbor Pines (which I found to be a very boring course)and saw nothing but HUGE mounds of dirt (I had no idea at the time that a golf course was being built!).  Based on your review, Mike, I will have to get there ASAP.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2001, 03:28:00 PM »
JBergan,

Do it, my friend.  Thar's GOLF thare in them hills!!

Craig,

I was hoping you'd see us putting this together and would have been able to join us.

Archie,

Thanks for a wonderful day.  Corey and I had a blast and although the course record is still safe, we had lots of fun trying.

Also, Congratulations on a wonderful course that is clearly in the spirit of where the game should be going.  No, actually...with the emphasis on golf, walking, simplicity, enjoyment, strategy, and companionship, it IS where the game should be going.

I was disappointed to see healthy young men and women just getting into carts like sheep.  I don't begin to understand it, as the course is a very enjoyable walk, with nice little strolls from green to next tee in very proximate, natural locations.  Your emphasis on a cheaper price to walk, as well as the availability of caddies is something that might also help given a little time, but hopefully people will just find the joy in playing on foot by themselves.  Lord knows that the blasted things were the only eyesore out there!

Sorry we weren't able to get together, as well, but keep me in mind for your outing in October.  I'd LOVE to play Twisted Dune again, hopefully with other like-minded people who love the game and simple, traditional golf!    

Corey_Johnson

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2001, 04:03:00 PM »
Archie,Thank you for a great day.I agree with Mike,we had a great day at your course.
I think it is great that you want to promote walking. I think as long as you charge extra for carts then people will be more likely to walk.I was commenting to Mike that when you play on courses were you pay extra for carts you see alot more people walking.Maybe you put in your ads that walking is welcomed or encouraged.
I really enjoyed the par 3's.Especially the two on the back side.I found #12 to be a lot harder target to hit then it appears. I was 0 for 4 there(I played there the week before also).
I really thought the whole back side was excellent.My personal favorites were 10,11 and 15.I liked how on 15 you could really play a low running shot onto the green,and it looked really cool.Anyway thanks again.

Jamie Slonis

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2001, 04:20:00 PM »
Mike or Archie,

Are caddies available or do you carry your own if you want to walk?

I've got a 12:30 tee time on Oct. 10th, can't wait to see the place.

Mike, thanks for the thorough review.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2001, 06:16:00 AM »
Archie, Mike, or anyone,
 Can anyone join me for a morning round on Friday, Oct 5?  I'm probably looking at mid-morning, but can start as late as noon.  e-mail me at smb10565@gsk.com

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2001, 07:02:00 AM »
Jamie,

Yes, caddies are available but I believe you need to notify TD prior so it can be scheduled.

Scott,

Sorry I can't make it that day, but thanks for asking.  I would have enjoyed meeting you.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2001, 07:10:00 AM »
Mike,
  I think we are going to meet the day before at Lehigh.  It looks to be a mini-GCA outing, with Bill, Mark, Matt, you, and myself.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2001, 07:42:00 AM »
Scott,

Good to hear!    I recall BillV telling me, but should have marked my calendar.  

I'll look forward to it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back