News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Geoff_Shackelford

Just when you thought...
« on: September 29, 2001, 09:35:00 AM »
It was safe to go to a product launch event, comes this, which is about the wackiest thing I've seen in golf, topping any hole Desmond Muirhead has built or even the indelible image of General Manager Pete Pino waving a stimpmeter at a Riviera membership meeting after the 1995 PGA greens debacle!

Now comes "golf designer" Ian McCallister and his crusade against Titleist czar Wally Uhlien. Check out the web site linked below and DO NOT skip the slow video upload, it doesn't get any wackier than this(I have to admit, of all the people in golf this could happen to, Wally Uhlien does deserve a pie in the face, though I've never been a fan of making a point like Mr. McCallister does here. But Uhlien threatens the golf publications if they dare to print even a hint of things like competition balls, weighted balls or any rules changes to hinder his third quarter earnings.).
http://www.geocities.com/ianmaccallister/

Tommy_Naccarato

Just when you thought...
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2001, 10:16:00 AM »
One of the all-time funniest things to ever happen. Uilhein certainly had it coming, and this is coming from a lifetime Titliest user.

Still, I'm very disappointed that Titliest is not helping out with trying to save the game. Their greed is clearly evident in all of this. There is little doubt in my mind that with the yet to be released NXT, a drastic secret on how they are geting their golf ball past through USGA testing for comformity.

Brad had earlier in the week posted something asking about Ian McCallister, now we know for sure who he is/was!

Uilehin: For the sake of the game, Make your "Drop and Stop Technology" mean, "Drop this idiocracy and Stop making golf balls that are ruining the game because they fly further then any others."

brad_miller

Just when you thought...
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2001, 11:28:00 AM »
Ian sure looks alot like John Clease!

Steve Wilson

Just when you thought...
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2001, 12:42:00 PM »
It not only looks like John Cleese, it is John Cleese and the whole thing is an advertisement that lampoons the attitude, prevalent on this DG, that would limit the distance the ball travels.  As McAllister/Cleese is being dragged away he is saying things like "Golf is supposed to be difficult."

I have to give Titleist credit for using humor to dismiss their critics.  If you can't seize the high ground then portray your opponents as cranks.  

It's time for the USGA and R & A to recognize there is a real problem and then either put up or shut up.  Titleist does not appear amenable to reason in this matter.  

Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Geoff_Shackelford

Just when you thought...
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2001, 12:57:00 PM »
I just saw the ad during the Texas Open, definitely John Cleese. I'm impressed, they had me fooled, and I'm glad Titleist thinks this is a cute little thing to do, to make fun of the distance issue. Thankfully, it will catch up to them in the way of dwindling sales as the number of golfers rapidly declines because the game is too hard, takes too long and the equipment is too expensive.

One oddity for Titleist is that they have sent out a bogus email between "Ian McCallister" to their media relations lackey, Joe Gomez. Members of the media received this, with it implying this is the real thing. Talk about something that may backfire with the many tradition-respectful golfers they cater to.

Steve Wilson

Just when you thought...
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2001, 01:56:00 PM »
The phony email would explain Brad Klein inquiry concerning Ian McAllister a few days ago.  That little deception is more revealing and cynical than the advert.  It's a serious lapse of judgement to risk alienating the people you might be relying on for good press in the future.  It also indicates Titleist may be more worried about possible USGA rulings than they care to admit.  Or is this a warning shot across the bows of the USGA?

Geoff:

I wish I shared you sanguine attitude toward how all of this is going to play, but I suggest that a lot of golfers are going to be thrilled they can reach those long par fours in regulation and even hit some par fives in two.

Another ten per cent on the ball, and the concept of the drivable par four is going to undergo a radical change.  

On true links courses 400+ drives could become commonplace.

And what does "the indelible image of General Manager Pete Pino waving a stimpfmeter at a Riviera membership meeting" refer to?

Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Geoff_Shackelford

Just when you thought...
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2001, 02:21:00 PM »
Steve,
Long story on the Pete Pino thing. Riviera had a nutty GM who blamed the members for the greens dying during the PGA, and so he pulled a stimpmeter out from under a table and waved at a room full of members to show us why it was our fault! Just a strange thing, as strange as this Titleist stunt.

You are correct that there are many golfers who won't agree, but again, the number of players is dwindling, and will continue to as will the number of people who can afford to pay $52 for a dozen balls. I blame these dwindling numbers on the cost/length of round/difficulty of courses reasons that the NGF has been citing for years. Yet publications like Golf Digest (see Jerry Tarde's column this month) and companies like Titleist just laugh it off, saying it's all good for golf, but in the end, they are the ones that are going to struggle because the number of players declines.

For those interested, here is the bogus email Titleist sent to writers on the Golf Writers Assn of America list. I guess I just couldn't fathom a company like Titleist stooping so low, but I was wrong. The man mentioned, Joe Gomes, is their PR lackey who sends email to all of the golf writers about how everyone but Tiger uses their ball. If you would like to let them know how you feel about their ad tactics, here is "Ian McCallisters" email address:

ianmaccallister@yahoo.co.uk
Joe Gomes can be reached at: joe_gomes@tfjww.com

And here is the email:

Hello Mr.  Gomes.

It is Ian MacCallister again - for the final time.  

Since you ignored my two previous inquiries, I have
decided to take my message and my Uihlein Pie in the
Face video to the airwaves as a public service
announcement to all golfers.  

This is to inform you that I have secured air time
during the PGA Tour's Texas Open this Saturday (ESPN)
and Sunday (espn2).  You can see the video in its
entirety on my website at http://www.geocities.com/ianmaccallister  before it
runs tomorrow.  Hopefully, this will call attention to
the fact that the NXT goes too far.  

Rest assured that I will remain vigilant in my cause
throughout the golf season and continue to proclaim:

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!
WE MUST DEFEND OUR CLASSIC COURSES!
BRING BACK THE SHORT BALL!

My only regret to date is the fact that the coconut
cream pie that I hit Mr. Uihline with happened to be
his favorite flavor.  Next time it will be blueberry!

The video and photos of Mr. Uihlein will remain on my
web site which I'm sure by now you have already
visited.

From what I understand, golfers can learn more about
these Titleist NXT golf balls on www.titleist.com  or
the media can e-mail you at  joe_gomes@tfjww.com for
more information.  I have friends in the media too and
I'm sure that many will help me spread my "DOWN WITH
TECHNOLOGY" message.  Once they hit the NXT, I am sure
they will agree it goes too far, and return to the
short ball.  

Regards,
Ian MacCallister
Golf Designers Against Distance

Matt_Davenport

Just when you thought...
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2001, 02:43:00 PM »
Now I know why I don't play Titleist...  Leave it to the Titleist Juggernaut to thumb it's nose at convention.  I think it's time for Mr. Nicklaus to re-surface with his idea of a competition ball.  What do you think?

Isn't the USGA working on developing new testing standards for balls?  I guess Titleist is worried...  But we all know money talks!

Will E

Just when you thought...
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2001, 05:43:00 PM »
Another good reason to play a Strata.

Peter Galea

Just when you thought...
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2001, 05:47:00 PM »
Strata is a ProV in Spaulding clothing.
Designer of the ProV jumped ship. Play what you want, long as it's round.
"chief sherpa"

Tommy_Naccarato

Just when you thought...
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2001, 06:22:00 PM »
What a cheap, and harmful way to hurt the game further for the mass of golfers who don't take the Game as seriously as some of us.

Yes, Pete may say lighten-up, but the thing that hurts the most is the arrogance of the ad itself. this wasn't just aimed at the non-core golfer who doesn't care how much he spends on golf balls, it was aimed at the very rules of the game. This is no different then using the name "Rule 35."

In there thinking I guess two wrongs do make a right.

Maybe it is time for me to switch my choice of golf ball in hpes that it further adds to the decline of sales and where it becomes too expensive to use a John Cleese for ads as such.

why couldn't they have used this talented actor/comedian for heralding in a new era of compliance without attacking the rules of the game.

I hope the whole thing backfires for them. Especially Mr. Gomes.

Peter Galea

Just when you thought...
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2001, 06:40:00 PM »
Tommysan, never did I say lighten up.
The downward spiral we witness was started by the manufacurer of "Pittsburgh Persimmon".
Oh wait, the steel shaft, errr, the "Haskell ball".....
"And so it goes". - Kurt Vonnegut
"chief sherpa"

ForkaB

Just when you thought...
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2001, 07:18:00 PM »
Pete

You are so right.  I say that when we bring back the stymie we also bring back the featherie.  Golf is just far, far too easy these days.....

Mark_Huxford

Just when you thought...
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2001, 08:25:00 AM »
Recently a local community trust contributed nearly $14,000 to the extension of one hole on my home course after being convinced the club was under threat by technology and of the posibility big tournaments would move to other venues.

I'm glad Titleist find this so amusing.

Mark,

Jason_Henham

Just when you thought...
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2001, 09:54:00 PM »
Hindsight's a wonderful thing. The link to the manufacturer's website and the statement "Once they hit the NXT, I am sure
they will agree it goes too far, and return to the short ball" are dead giveaways.

Paul_Daley

Just when you thought...
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2001, 04:20:00 AM »
The whole episode is sickening; were it not such a serious issue, it would be even funnier.

TEPaul

Just when you thought...
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2001, 05:55:00 AM »
Another arrogant ad attack on the regulatory bodies of the game and certainly on those who believe in preserving the validity of golf and golf course architecture! Using pretty good humor will probably be very effective too!

Two things have happened in the last few years that never happened before. The USGA and R&A are struggling far more than they ever have to preserve their meaning and control of the game. The primary reason is that they have come under an intense attack from the manufacturers that they never had to deal with before--or at least certainly not like this.

This ad is as low or lower than the recent Callaway Ad of a family booking a flight to Europe since they were told by the USGA that they couldn't use their ERC2 driver in the USA.

I firmly believe that the USGA (and probably the R&A) would like nothing more than to slow down this aggressive attack and to control the distance these modern balls are going but they just don't know how to do it without getting clobbered by the combined juggernaut of the manufacturers (and now maybe even the preference of the golfing public). I think they fear that they could almost go out of business or fall into serious irrelevancy if they fight this onslaught too hard!

The ad campaigns and general manufacturing campaigns to trick or weedle through the USGA's B&I rules is far more aggressive and dedicated then ever before. Some of these manufacturers would like nothing more than to take the USGA out of existence. And they are very adept at playing on the one true visceral attraction in golf--namely, "How far can I or someone else hit a golf ball!!!"

In a more practical sense these manufacturers are now cleverly or else blatantly producing equipment (particularly balls) to just get it out on the market before the USGA has a chance to really "draw the line in the sand" with their new "optimization" testing protocols!

The USGA is admittedly reluctant to "ban" entire lines of equipment and the manufacturers might be seen as trying to expand the sand box in the interim! This can be clearly seen in the manner in which the USGA handled the rather recent problem of "spring like effect". When they became aware of it (they were made aware of it by Titleist, who came upon it by accident). Instead of banning anything and everything that possessed "spring like effect" (the old persimmons had no spring like effect) they "drew the line in the sand" at what was on the market at the time they understood it was a reality. In a technical context the old persimmons were .78 COR and what was on the market when they became aware of it was .86 COR, so the USGA drew the line at .86 COR so as not to obsolete clubs already in the bags of the golfing public.

It looks like the manufacturers are doing the same thing with the golf ball but far more knowingly and aggressively!

I wasn't a big supporter of the "competition" ball because I thought the USGA might be able to hold the line generally. But it doesn't seem like they are able to. It looks like half the battle has already been lost and the next line of defense may be to try to implement the "competition" ball. If the Tour and their organizations as well as the USGA (and their 13 tournaments) adopted it that may have some effect, but it seems more and more like a desparate rear guard defense!

Matt Pavin

Just when you thought...
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2001, 10:11:00 AM »
Holy cow!  What a firestorm of protest.  While I certainly support anyone's and everyone's right to their own opinion, I think the point has been missed here.

First, let me say that I am a Sales Rep for Titleist and probably setting myself up.  But I don't feel it fair for my bias not to be out in the open.

All I want to add is that Titleist believes in both tradition and technology, that we don't think the two are incompatible.  If courses are playing shorter, it is a combination of many things ... including player conditioning, better agronomy, a better understanding of launch conditions and the ability to optimize players.  Balls don't go farther; high performance balls go farther.  We work with the USGA, not against it.  All of our products conform - including the NXT balls.  To liken us (or lower us) to Callaway and its ad of a family leaving the country to play an intentionally non-conforming product is an undeserved cheap shot.

If the NXT balls did not conform, then shame on us for lampooning traditionalists.  But they do, which means - as I said - the point has been missed.  That our CEO (in particular) would take a pie in the face is absolutely hilarious.  I submit that those of you who have some kind of axe to grind with us anyway (real or imagined) are just using this spot to further that agenda.

I repeat that we don't just respect traditionalists, but count ourselves amongst them.

Sincerely, Matt Pavin

ForkaB

Just when you thought...
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2001, 10:28:00 AM »
Matt

Many thanks for posting under your own name and with your affiliation, and also thanks for your thoughts.

I must say that for various reasons, including my lack of conditioning and complete cluelessness in terms of "launch angles" I continue to be able to hit my Professional's and Tour Balata's as far or farther than my Pro V1's and Maxfli A10's, and I continue to prefer the feel of the former balls.  Please reassure me that Titleist is NOT going to discontinue the Professional or the Tour Balata, or even better, is going to offer them at a knock down price due to their "outmoded" technologies!

Daniel_Wexler

Just when you thought...
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2001, 10:35:00 AM »
At $52 a dozen???????

Mr. Pavin, I genuinely appreciate your stepping up to defend a company whose products I used to push hard when I was a golf professional.  I also, by the way, agree with the notion that manufacturers are not the main culprits, the USGA is (I don't even hear much lip service from them these days, though perhaps I'm just not listening).  However...

Since the effects of modern equipment ("conforming" though it may be) is undeniable, and since few (save the manufacturers) would argue that $52/dozen balls and $600 drivers are good for the game, please do not try to pass Titleist off as a "traditionalist."  A big corporation trying to maximize earnings and stay competitive?  No question.  A smart company taking advantage of what is currently "legal?"  Absolutely.

But "traditionalists?"  Please...

Geoff_Shackelford

Just when you thought...
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2001, 10:43:00 AM »
Matt,
I'm a lifelong user of Titleist equipment and have always respected the companies quality control and products (ask Fletcher if you are related, and say hello to him for me). However, if you have been following Mr. Uhlien's comments over the last few years as many of us have, I think you'll be in for a shock if the USGA or the PGA Tour or the R&A ever acts in some way that Mr. Uhlien PERCEIVES as a threat to next quarters earnings. In my view, he has the potential to be more dangerous and aggressive than Ely Callaway was, and this ad campaign is the beginning of more nonsense to come until Titleist proves otherwise. Again, why not just stick to basic advertising that relies on your obvious product superiority and well earned reputation? Why start getting into areas that the company clearly does not understand, such as the traditions of the game, the architecture and the reason many are concerned about where things are headed? Golf is built on tradition and to laugh off those who are passionate about those traditions is an unnecessary mistake.

Don't forget, Titleist pulled a $2 million ad campaign from Golf Magazine in 1998 after George Peper wrote a very simple commentary advocating a competition ball to maintain the classic courses and to keep golf courses in the 6500-7000 yard realm. Ever since this stunt, I have noticd Mr. Uhlien increasingly antagonistic and even hostile attitude toward those who are worried about the health of the game or the future of traditions that got people playing in the first place. Clearly, he is not much of a visionary when it comes what is best for the long term interest and prosperity of the game, otherwise he'd have a different approach. Also, I don't find it hilarious that he took a pie in the face. He's a businessman, he'll do whatever he has to in order to move product. Including filing lawsuits or issuing threats (which have worked by the way, I'll give him credit there. Golf Magazine will never write such a commentary again, and the USGA is scared to death of Uhlien).

I also don't find it funny that the Titleist publicity department uses the GWAA directory to send out bogus emails and those silly Darrel Survey results (like anyone cares!?). For me, it's the beginning of a sad decline of a once proud company, one that will do anything necessary to move product. Thanks for posting your comments, I understand your point of view and your faith in the company, I just don't agree that this was a wise path for Titleist to take if they want to be respected as a quality organization.
Geoff

ForkaB

Just when you thought...
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2001, 10:48:00 AM »
PRICE UPDATE

Pro V1's were selling for $20/sleeve at Bandon this past weekend.  Stock up before you go there.

GolfStudent

Just when you thought...
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2001, 12:18:00 PM »
I thought it was funny, even though I agree with some of where "Ian" is coming from.  I dunno, maybe I just have a too-developed sense of humor, I find it difficult to be offended.  I could just as easily make a commercial that spoofed the manufacturers or the public's quest for more distance, and I'd hope they would find it funny too.  It's just a way to exaggerate your side of the story for effect, to me it was clearly a spoof and exaggeration.  People have different opinions.  It's just a game!  (heh, that's one of my least favorite expressions.)

Matt Pavin

Just when you thought...
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2001, 12:24:00 PM »
To Rich:

I'm sorry, but the Tour Balata has been discontinued.

The Professional, however, continues.  For low spin players it may very well be as long as the Pro V1.  And its wound liquid-center construction still provides a feel preferred by many players (such apparently as yourself).

To Daniel:

As do all manufacturers, we set a Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP).  It is up to individual retailers to decide what to sell products for.  Current Pro V1 pricing is a result of the gap between supply and demand.  We are not charging any more for this product than we have been for the Professional for at least the last three years.

As far as what defines a traditionalist, I guess we must agree to disagree.  I just don't understand how making increasingly better products that stay within the bounds of an industry's accepted regulatory body opens us up for criticism.  In fact, I would also add that we are merely exercising another fine American tradition:  doing business compeitively (but not unfairly) in a free market economy.

I also heard what you said about the ultimate culpability resting with the USGA.  I do not disagree, yet understand that it does not have the financial nor technical wherewithal (compared to multi-million dollar businesses) to stay ahead of the curve enough to do other than react after the fact to areas ambiguously dealt with by previously determined parameters.  They are between a rock and a hard place, because the genie cannot be put back in the bottle.  When millions are invested in testing and bringing products to market that conform to their own rules, the USGA cannot tighten things without risking a debilitating lawsuit or two.  The applies to spring-like effect and ball launch conditions alike.

The answer is simply to work more closely together, something we have advocated since this subject came to the fore a few years back.  And not just the USGA and manufacturers, but also the PGA, the Tours, and any other interested parties.

To Geoff:

Thanks for taking the time to express your views so passionately and thoroughly.  Yet, as you might imagine, there is much in your response I would take some exception with.  But, I think it wise to just agree to disagree with you as well.  I do, however, want to point out that we pulled advertising from Sports Illustrated a few years back when its coverage of the Dinah Shore focused less on the golf and more on lifestyle issues.  Not exactly the actions of a company concerned only with the bottom line.

I'll be happy to pass along your greetings to my other brother.

Matt

ForkaB

Just when you thought...
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2001, 01:01:00 PM »
Matt

I'm a "high spin" player (as well as thinker).  I must be doing something wrong with my Pro V1's!

RIP, Tour Balata

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back