News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tyler Kearns

Capilano G & CC
« on: March 01, 2003, 09:49:56 PM »
I recently had the pleasure of playing one of Canada's pinnacles of golf course architecture, Capilano G & CC in West Vancouver, BC. The course was designed by Stanley Thompson in 1937, and has remained intact since then, no small feat in itself.

The course in nestled amongst towering trees on the steeply sloped terrain of the coastal mountains. The atmosphere is quite something, very quiet and seemingly secluded within the bustling environment of Vancouver. It does not take long before one is reminded of the city they just escaped from; the first tee plays sharply downhill with a stunning view of downtown Vancouver and the Pacific Ocean in the background. Numerous holes feature breath-taking views of the snow-capped peaks that are so ever present, rendering at times, golf as a secondary activity to sight-seeing (especially when the swing is acting up!!).

Capilano is a finely routed golf course, it's steep landscape is easily walkable. The first 6 holes take us to the low point of the course, but the ascent back to the clubhouse is accomplished in modest increments that run parallel to the mountains rather than sharply against it. Only the par-3 ninth and par-5 tenth (2nd shot) feel like a climb.

The bunkering is classic Thompson; bold and wild. It is apparent that the bunkers are maintained by hand, because the capes and bays are at times quite steep and narrow, but beautiful. The fairway bunker guarding both #2 & #3, and the one protecting #7 & #8 from the tee look like a series of 3-4 bunkers, but in reality are single, massive, artistic masterpieces. I was surprised to see the use of islands within these bunkers to help achieve their visual appeal.

The greens on the front nine were surprisingly tame, featuring only subtle breaks, with exceptions falling to #5 & #6. At five one is comfronted with two huge mounds that protrude into the green at back and front right that funnell balls into a central channel running laterally across the green and dictating the break of every putt. The back nine features much bolder greens with distinct ridges and humps that fall into the "greens within greens" concept mentioned before on this site (#11,#12,#13) and #15 which has two mounds running diagonally across the green making putts from opposite ends of the green extremely difficult.    

Overall the course was a fantastic retreat into golfing heaven, a course I could easily play every day for the rest of my life. Holes of note include; #5, a left to right par 5 that begs players to challenge the fairway bunkers left to ensure the best angle (and sight line to downtown & ocean) into a severly sloped green, #7, a long par 4 that veers left to right and features a long-iron second shot from a hanging lie to a tiny green guarded by saving bunkers to the right, #8, a medium length par 4 with bunkers to the right guarding against careless drives that attempt to procure a clearer approach that enables one to use the greens contours to funnell shots to left pin, #12, a medium length dogleg right with a bunker forcibly pinching the landing area, the approach demands accuracy to a well protected green with several distinct greens within it, #15, a long dogleg left par 4 with a fairway banked away from the player running towards a creek on the right. The long approach must be played from the flatter right side to a two-tiered green that is tightly trapped on the right.

This is a very private course, and I hope I can get back to play there someday, preferrably in the summer when drizzly, wet conditions do not persist, preventing me from capturing memories with my camera. I guess my memory will have to do.

Tyler Kearns
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

cary lichtenstein

Re: Capilano G & CC
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2003, 06:51:09 AM »
My wife and I played Capilano last summer and had the same wonderful experience. Terrific course. Shows what a great architect Stanley Thompson was. Still have great memories.

We went up to Whistler from there, and played all the courses. The best by far was Chateau Whistler, a mountain course by one of Jones' boys.

Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

ian

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2003, 07:50:37 AM »
We have been lucky enough to work with Capilano for quite some time now. The key to the improved perception at Capilano has a lot to do with the golf course superintendent. Dennis Pelrene has put in miles and miles of slit drainage, and has improved the quality of the playing conditions dramaticly.
Between the massive trees and the incredibly wet climate, the work he does is really fanatastic.

In addition, the club has recently added many tees and expanded others to reduce wear. All the bunkers have been rebuilt over the past five years, with massive amounts of drainage added to hold the sand on the faces and slow the erosion process. The bunkers were mainly restored back to their original shapes with a couple of alterations on a few holes. Poa was saved from other jobs and re-sodded to blend any changes into the origional grass around the bunkers. It sounds like the changes were not obvious, so that's really important.

Their future plans are to lift the 17th green about12-18" and rebuild the contours exactly as they are now for drainage reasons.

The course has improved every year since Dennis has got there, and it sounds like people are enjoying the results.

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2003, 11:00:01 AM »
Ian,
      When I was there they were in the process of soding the new back tee on #14, probably adding something like 15yds to the short par-3. Although the tee looks great, and the hole is remarkable, I was most impressed viewing the change from the middle of the 13th fairway. The trees they had to fell in order to accomodate the new tee opened up a view to the peak of Grouse Mountain. Just when you thought the course could not be more scenic!!

Tyler Kearns

Ben Cowan-Dewar

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2003, 12:35:20 PM »
Capilano is great, and the work they are doing is wonderfully promising.

The restoration of the 6th and 14th greens would be a treat to see, perhaps in time.

The course is truly one of Canada's finest.

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2003, 01:19:16 PM »
Ben,
       I was not under the impression that both the 6th and the 14th greens had been altered over time. What has been done? How significant are the changes? Did it affect the greenside bunkering?

Tyler Kearns

Jeff Mingay

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2003, 02:27:42 PM »
Tyler,

Both 6 and 14 were rebuilt under the direction of Les Furber, not too long ago. 6 really stands out in my eyes in 'bad'. And, if you visit the clubhouse at Capilano, there's a great historic photo of the original green at 14 that'll 'make your mouth water'. That green very well may have featured the most interesting contour of any green on the course, originally. If I recall correctly, the contour in that green kinda resembled what could be described as 'Maxwell rolls'.

The green complex at 10 is also 'screaming' to be restored. (I can hear it here, in Windsor!) There's a huge lobe of former putting surface on the right-side that's been lost - guarded by a steep drop-off immediately on the right, and a bunker at front-right that's been allowed to grow-in. Restoring that section of the green surface along with the bunker there would markedly improve the 10th hole, in my opinion; a hole that's presently considered to be an 'inadequate' par 5, playing 425 yards or so, uphill. Sounds strange, I know. But forget about par, and the 10th is a great hole. In its original concept it presented a ton of playing interest.  

There's a hillside at left of the 10th green, too. In the old days, the fairway ran up that hillside then 'swerved' right into the green surface. So, if you were far right in the fairway, there was an option to play a 'kick shot' off that hillside that would feed down to a back-right hole location. Very cool stuff, in my humble opinion! On my last visit there, Dennis Pellrene explained to me that, at some point, a few members got the bright idea that the option to play off of that hillside was 'unfair'. So, they jammed a bunker in there. Nowadays, no 'kick shot action' can happen, unfortunately.

Capilano is a GREAT golf course. There is perhaps no better finishing stretch in Canada, holes 15-18... that said, 10 through 14 isn't a shabby stretch of holes either, and the par 3 ninth is a classic!

Ben Cowan-Dewar

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2003, 06:27:50 PM »
Tyler,
As Jeff mentioned, Furber did the work. I cannot remember the exact timeframe, but six is definitely the one in need of repair.

The picture that Jeff refers to of 14 is truly awesome, really reminiscent of 16 at Pasa, truly wild. The green was replaced for drainage reasons, however, a true restoration would make this one of the finest short par threes in Thompson's resume.

ian

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2003, 08:28:37 PM »
I hate to say this but #14 is unlikely, but #6 will probably happen some time in the future.

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2003, 08:55:22 PM »
Jeff,
      I unfortunately did not have the chance to browse through the clubhouse at Capilano!! The lost lobe of green at #10 is interesting. When playing the hole it struck me as being an odd little shelf of land, especially because the bottom was so flat, thus probably not an old bunker. That would certainly be an incredibly fun pin position to play to.
      Now thinking back to my round, the 6th green does stand out as been a little out of character with the rest of the greens. It is very bold, but not in the same way as the other more undulating surfaces on the course. I can only imagine the potential nightmares on that green during firmer summer conditions!!
       When did Les Furber make the changes? It seems that his work here is a much better than those at Mayfair GC in Edmonton, AB. When I walked the course last year it did not remind me one iota of an old traditional golf course. In fact, it felt awkward.
        It's assuring to know that the membership at Capilano revere's their course, and have plans to restore some of the lost Thompson character in the years to come.

Tyler Kearns

Ben Cowan-Dewar

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2003, 09:39:56 PM »
Ian,
I did not imagine, however it would be an undertaking.

Tyler,
Furber had less to do with Cap than Mayfair, which was lucky for the club.

The tenth bunker that Jeff mentions, is quite clearly sitting there.  I cannot understand the hole without it? Especially given that it remains a par four.

Enough dwelling on what was, what is there is a very fine course.

One is such a great opener, two is solid and the right side of the green is very well done.

For all that can be said of the sixth green, the rest of the hole is awesome.

JM pointed out the wonderful ninth, but ten and eleven are great too.

13 is one of my favourites holes, great use of the gully. The green complex holds interest, especially given the angles of approach, and the various stance the fairway gives the golfer.

16-18 are awesome golf holes. 16 stands out as another wonderful long par three in Thompson's collection. The work on 17 sounds promising, though the green was in excellent condition this past August.

The finishing hole is unbelievably difficult, given the playing conditions, the steep incline and the already lengthy yardage. Two long (very long) hitters I played with were well back for their third shots, providing good balance for a shorter player.

I was originally leery of Capilano's standing over Banff and Jasper, but I stand corrected. The 3rd place ranking is Score is very deserving, and the work the club is doing seems very promising.

Jeff Mingay

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2003, 06:41:30 AM »
Mayfair's a disaster - a telling example of a club that just couldn't leave well enough alone. And they're planning more work as we speak.  

A few years ago, Rod Whitman was asked to tour the course at Mayfair. His subsequent written report to the club is a classic. In a very polite manner, Rod basically laid out the truth. 'Mayfair ruined a classic Stanley Thompson design and every effort should be made to restore it.'  

He never got a call back  ::)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back