News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

NAF

Is the European Club a must see?
« on: October 22, 2001, 04:27:00 AM »
I am going to be in Ireland in 2 weeks and trying to squeeze RCD, Portmarnock and a 3rd course into a long weekend..I will be flying in and out of Dublin and the only place I can play on Saturday is the European Club..This involves a bit of a logistic nightmare for me as the short daylight begins to creep in early November plus I am landing Friday and driving up to Newcastle right away. So the question becomes is it worth driving all the way back down after RCD to play the E-Club Saturday morning..It looks like a great course on course profile section here..Can anyone who has played it tell me whether it is worth the trouble..Thanks, Noel

kilfara

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2001, 04:43:00 AM »
Noel, there was a (shortish) thread about TEC quite recently - should be only one or two pages below the main one, methinks.

For my money, the answer to your question is probably "no". It's a bit like what I've heard about Ballybunion New: a neat site but overly spectacular, at times ridiculously so. (And others have commented about the excesses of the one-man hype machine that is Pat Ruddy, which is a turnoff in and of itself.) Others disagree, though - and although I'm not a big fan it is quite an interesting course to see. So I suppose it comes down to how much of a diehard are you....

Cheers,
Darren

john f

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2001, 05:47:00 AM »
Noel,

Pacific Dunes, Sand Hills, NGLA & Shinnecock and now Ireland. If I remember right all in the last 3 months!

You are my hero.

AS for TEC, if you have nothing better to do than play golf, I'd make the effort.

John_D._Bernhardt

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2001, 05:48:00 AM »
Well said Darren, I am a big no. There are numerous courses including County Louth and multiple rounds at RCD to consider first.

Allen_Rebstock

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2001, 06:03:00 AM »
I played European Club two years ago.  If I recall it was a good 1 hr drive south of Dublin.  It was highly recommended in by James Finigan in his book so we booked it.  The owner and host Pat Ruddy wathched us off the first tee and is a character.

The landscape is very dramatic for this part of Ireland and holes I remember as outstanding were holes 7, 8 and 12 through 16 which run right along Brittas Bay. The par 4 7th green was recently featured on the cover of most recent issue of THE GOLFER. 17 was another great hole.  18th hole was a big suprise and disappointment because there is a pond directly in front of the green. You only see it after you've reached the crest of the hill on 18. A pond on a course that is a true links landscape with dunes that rival Cruden Bay, Portrush & County Down! It just put a sour taste in my mouth to finish on such a poor hole.

At that time you could see the potential the European Club had but it will need time to mature.  There were some erosion problems with the ocean holes and you could see they were trying to fix the problem.  Salt water spray from the ocean was killing the grass. That out to tell you how close you come to the ocean.

Over time I think European Club will hold it own and may one day enter the world top 100.  Unlike Old Head that made a big splash and now is fading, The European Club in my opinion will be one course that will get better with age and maturity and maybe Pat Ruddy will get rid of that ugly pond on 18.   The jury is still out on TEC and but what I've read about Ruddy he will continue to make improvements and one day it will be amoung Irelands best if it ain't already.

However, it is a long haul from RCD, you may want to wait and play it when you have more time. I say another course just before European Club called Wicklow Golf Club. From what I couse see from highway, it would be worth checking out also it you made that a day trip in summer/spring day light.

Heck, play the short course at RCD instead as I saw some great holes that i would have love to have played plus they feature them it the club magazine you can pick up in the pro shop.  Links of Portmarnoch is another option and pretty good.

P.S. Noel, I'm sorry about the round at Dornoch this past June, as I know we were scheduled to play. However, due to that interclub match with Skibo Castle they were having mid afternoon, starter suggested we go off imediately after our moring round as he informed us they would be slow playing in the mid afternoon.  We ended up going off about an 1 1/2 earlier.  I told started to pass along info to you, don't know that he did.  

Paul Turner

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2001, 06:25:00 AM »
Noel

Have you tried booking a round at The Island? It gets great reviews.

NAF

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2001, 06:43:00 AM »
All good suggestions guys but the problem is Saturday play is unavailable everywhere I try..that includes County Louth, The Island, RCD, Royal Dublin etc..The only place that would let me play are the Links at Portmarnock and the E-Club...So I guess I will have to choose between.

Allen, no worries, I got the info from the starter there about you competition..Maybe next time..

Paul Richards

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2001, 08:02:00 PM »
NAF:
If the choices are only between the Links
Portmarnock and the European Club, this is
easy - play TEC.

TEC is a good (not great) course, you've read
all the hype, etc, above.  The Links
Portmarnock is a complete waste of time.
There is nothing new or even memorable about
this place, other than they let you play
there on Saturday.  Don't waste the petrol
to get there.

"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

fred ruttenberg

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2001, 08:19:00 PM »
TEC is an exciting course and will not be a disapointment. While not in the same league as the top tier (RCD,Portrush and Ballybunion) you will find it more enjoyable than most of the second tier coursesin Ireland.

Gene Greco

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2001, 03:46:00 PM »
NAF:

Totally agree with Paul Richards - Links at Portmarnock is Mickey Mouse. Play at TEC.

"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Paul Turner

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2001, 04:33:00 AM »
Noel

There is a small links course near to Newcastle called Ardglass.  I've a seen a photo of ONE spectacular hole and Tom Doak mentions it in his gossip section for Northern Ireland.  

Edwin Rognvaldsson

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2001, 04:54:00 AM »
NAF,

I played the European about two weeks ago. I don't think you should trouble yourself too much. From my visit, two things stick in the memory; the uniformed use of railway sleepers in bunker faces and two extra holes. If I were you, I'd say no.

NAF

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2001, 05:48:00 AM »
Paul,

Saturday play again affects Ardglass..they may squeeze me in but no guarantees..do you know any more about the place?

Paul Turner

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2001, 06:59:00 AM »
Noel

No I don't have any info, but I did find their website.  
http://www.ardglass.force9.co.uk/

I'm sure it's just a pretty basic links course with a few spectacular moments along the shore  Probably not really worth your precious time abroard unless the drive to TEC is too much.

Paul Turner

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2001, 08:21:00 PM »
Noel

I've searched to pics on the web ang all I could find other than their website is this miniscule pic!

NAF

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2001, 08:38:00 PM »
thanks paul..i will probably just play it by ear..after i play RCD on fumes after flying and driving, i may need a break or at least a few pints of guinness...

Colin

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2001, 09:23:00 AM »
If you are really gung-ho you could try some other courses since you are in Ireland. The first is Seapoint adjacent to Baltray. It was designed by Des Smyth, of neighboring Baltray village. It's not great, but some of the holes are linksland and you can stay at the Baltray clubhouse for 20 pounds including breakfast.

There is also Laystown and Bettystown. Another links course across the river estuary from Baltray. The head pro is Bobby Brown and he is quite a character. He will tell you that Laystown and Bettystown is the "only course where two Ryder Cuppers have won the Captains Prize." Without holding everyone in suspence they are Des Smyth and Phillip Walton.  There course isn't fantastic, although I would choose this over Seapoint.

You can also try the weird links course on Bull Island called St. Annes. It is the other course on the cut of links in Dublin Harbor that Royal Dublin lies on. It was nine and recently turned into 18. It is  close to downtown Dublin and the airport.

Howth has a fun heathland-parkland-upland-open country-downland course in view of Portmarnock. I have always wanted to check it out.
And finally there is Joe Carr's famous Sutton Golf Club. It is a small 9-hole course across the water from Portmarnock which is reputed throughout Ireland for producing great players. The course has a few fun holes and a miserable hole or two on the other side of the railway line.

Also, if you in RCD, just popping up to Belvoir Park (about 45 minutes away) in south Belfast for a fabulously minted mid-20's Harry Colt. The bunkers are ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS.

Also, the IRA began decommissioning today so it will be an interesting time to be in Ireland.

ciao

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back