News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ed_Baker

Myopia, History,Quirk,and Atmosphere,Golf at It's Best
« on: October 10, 2001, 12:24:00 PM »
The first inkling that the day of golf is going to be something special, presents itself as a view of the polo fields through the passenger side car window.The vague uneasiness of not following directions to the storied old club is immediatly replaced with a delightful curiosity.The small wooden sign that proclaims "Polo Sunday 3 pm" looks as natural in its placement as the expanse of green it guards.Suddenly time mets away and you may just as well be looking at the same scene from the family horse drawn wagon 100 years ago.

Just beyond the polo fields a small stone lined driveway that turns in to a country lane lined with oaks,maples and elms not quite in the full brilliant blaze of a New England autumn winds its way in to the club. The now reluctant motorist is filled with the anticipation of a young child on Christmas eve. Just ahead, the magnificent clubhouse presents itself in perfect harmony with the kennels,stables,and maintainence buildings to the left of the circle.The perfect utility of the buildings is what impresses most,their placement and design are complimentary to their purpose,the sheer expanse is awe inspiring.

The sight of grooms attending to magnificent chestnut steeds within 100 yards of a mechanic working on the knife bed of a fairway mower is inexplicably natural in this setting.Each intent on their task,aware, but unconcerned of the others presence,yet connected by the confidence of competence.

Through the "breeze way" the practice putting green is visible behind the clubhouse
beckoning to eager participants.The small pro shop building on the hillside casts a watchful eye on the scene below blending perfectly with the topography of the holes it oversees,visible but unobtrusive,but undeniably in control. The driving range positioned on a natural terrace behind the pro shop to the left of the 17th fairway,everything in its place,everything to its purpose.

From the blind tee shot on the short first hole,to the terrifying bunkers to be negotiated on 18, Myopia is a study of interesting efficencies.The use of the natural land forms is stunning,creating a mind numbing variety and endless choices for pitches,chips,flops,bump and runs,to all out blasts with all the clubs in the bag.It takes imagination to play Myopia well.Some of the elevation changes are dramatic and severly impact "yardage". "Feel",is a most important skill to possess at Myopia.This is so far from the formulamatic hit it precise yardage of modern tour golf.The player must be prepared to feel the shots and accept the inexact results of the odd bounces.The excitement of luck is evident in the game here,as it was in the beginning.

Playing what is essentially a living golf museum creates it own set of mental challenges far beyond the vagueries of our own particular swing thoughts.The "Jones Town" bunkers and the "Taft" bunker start a mental movie of golf in the golden age that is impossible for the rabid golfer to stop.Visions of Jones in his tie and plus fours, standing right where you are considering his options sends an undeniable thrill through the nervous system.The natural fescue wild and forbidding on the hillsides,framing the sanctuary of the fairways,and the delicious and diabolical pitch of the greens,guarded by deep stark bunkers,flood the senses on every hole.The simultaneous sadness and joy when the last putt is holed.Sadness because the round is over,joy because of the experience.Such is the human condition,and golf at its best.

It had been ten years since I last played Myopia,it just keeps getting better.A wonderfully unique anachronism true to its purpose.

All GCAers should try and play it,you won't be disappointed.

Paul Perrella

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2001, 12:54:00 PM »

Ed,

Though I've only played Myopia once, you have certainly captured the feel of both the golf course and the hunt club. The first 4 holes are some of the most varied and interesting starting holes in golf. The 4th is one of my favorites anywhere. This is surely on my short list of places to return to ASAP.   Paul

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2001, 03:25:00 PM »
Ed,

I didn't have time to get over to Myopia last week because we were fighting rock at Essex County, or perhaps we would have met.

Did you find the course tricked up at all?  Several people in the area told me they thought that the green speeds and the rough were getting to be silly ... I take it you didn't agree.

WB_Salinetti

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2001, 02:33:00 AM »
Tom,
Played Myopia on Monday and the conditions were terrific.  Maybe to some people firm and fast is tricked up, but to those who appreciate proper conditioning Myopia is one of the most enjoyable rounds of golf anywhere.  The roughs were very manageable, maybe two inches and I know this summer they were even shorter.  This is truly golf at its best.  

BillV

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2001, 03:07:00 AM »
This is a real interesting course to debate.  IT is unequalled in the experience and quirk and museum-piece categories.  Doak asks the right question.  THe course is pure lay of the land in some places notable 8 green which can get out of hand with green speeds above about 4.

This is an easier course to give an opinion Doak scale vs. where it should really be recognized on a numerical list.  THe Polo Fields, Bright yellow clubhouse and rock out croppings are part of the "Boston Horsey-Set" effect (See California Coastal effect)      

Playing last May in the rain was a very fun very memorable day for me.

Never, never pass up an opportunity to play here.

GeoffreyC

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2001, 05:51:00 AM »
Ed- thanks for the reminder.  A day at Myopia Hunt is like walking back in time.  Spending the night in the clubhouse is even better.

Bill is absolutely correct.  Myopia is a 10 for the experience, absolutely unique.  A golfer needs to use parts of his brain that barely receive or transmit an electrical signal in between visits to the course. How do you relate and compare this place to any other is the difficult part.  Perhaps you don't.  Enjoy it and don't miss a chance to experience it!

Ed_Baker

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2001, 07:12:00 AM »
TD,

Redanman and Bill Salinetti have already reported the conditions accurately.

Myopia has perhaps made the most seemless transition to modern green speeds,because they have less internal contour than say many of the Ross courses in New England.

The golf course remains a stern test of golf today,as it has for 107 years,albeit for different reasons.

The only glaring difference from then and now would be the reduction of cuppable green area at todays speeds. Redundant pin positions is a small price to pay for a classic of this stature,to remain a true test of golfing prowess in the face of todays technology.

The brilliant land use,and resulting fairway contours, put a far greater premium on the shape and trajectory of the golf shots,over pure power.But to be sure there are still several opportunities for even Tiger to hit driver.

In my opinion the staff at Myopia have preserved the challenge,without going over the top, or being "tricked up".

ForkaB

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2001, 08:18:00 PM »
This all makes me regret what an ignorant, insensitve klutz I was in the early 70's when I played Myopia a few times.  Yeah, I know, I haven't improved much in the interim...........

chipper

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2001, 11:32:00 AM »
Tom D., et.al.;

I had the priveledge of joining Ed and Matt on that beautiful day early this week at Myopia.

Have to agree with Ed's comments and in regards to your question about the speeds / rough:

1) Green speeds - the greens were certainly quick (12-13), however very seldom did they seem to approach unfair. On certain holes (1, and 4 most come to mind), it effectively reduced the size of the greens and really made play difficult. However, on the rest of the course, the speeds helped the ball roll very true and was a real treat to play.

2) Rough - due to the drier summer here on the North Shore, I felt the rough was very fair, if surprisingly tame. In the few instances I caught the rough, I had no trouble advancing the ball - if anything, the dense bent rough sat the ball a little too high and found the ball to pop up a little.

Lastly, Tom, I've heard through the grapevine that you hold #4 in high regard. If that's the case, I can't agree more - its the best Cape hole I've ever seen (esp. with such a challenging approach).
Best,
C

PPD

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2001, 03:46:00 AM »
I think #11 Myopia is a great short hole and a great hole.  The way the fairway drops off to the right, and obviously the tricky green.  Isn't this the way a hole ought to be defended, rather than by length?

Also, I don't know which is the better feeling at Myopia -- getting to #13 green and looking back at the course you have played as it naturally cloaks the countryside, or getting to #16 tee and having the charm of the hole, the clubhouse, and practice area unfold before you.

Actually, the notion of walking through the trees from one hole to another and stumbling onto a gem of a hole is also the case at #9.  Great to have that par 3 and its maginficent bunkers suddenly appear, and different than had the area been cleared from #8 to #9.  

Spikes:  did someone mention the spike marks on the club house porch?  Years and years of them, everywhere.  Absolutely terrific.  I hope they never "repair" the porch.

redanman

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2001, 01:11:00 AM »
chipper

A speed of 12-13 on hole #8 would make it impossible to stand.  

TEPaul

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2001, 01:45:00 AM »
I haven't been to Myopia in eons but I did have a long conversation recently with one of Myopia's long time members who said he truly thought the way they have it set up now is just not fun anymore for the higher handicappers--it's just too intense now and is really for very good golfers to try to manage their way around for many of the reasons given above.

I was going up there last month but couldn't make it. But I would really like to see it soon to see what he says for myself. It sounds to me like Myopia has gotten to the point and the "maintenance meld" that we all talk about as being ideal but it does have to work for most all the members too, right? They have to have fun too!

chipper

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2001, 04:34:00 AM »
Redanman;
Thank god for Black Widow Spikes!  
C

Ran Morrissett

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2001, 05:33:00 AM »
PPD, I agree that 11 is a real gem. Combined with 1 and 6, Myopia has a set of short two shotters that is rarely matched.

Has the 16th lost too many forward hole locations given the speed of the greens?

Does everyone agree that 17 is the least distinguished hole? I like the 14th hole more than most - the way the green fits into the right to left slope seems of exception.

With 15 yards more in fairway width, I reckon the 12th would be a stand-out hole - the humps and bumps of the fairway give it a real links flavor - Leeds must have been salivating when he first found that piece of ground.

Ed_Baker

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2001, 06:40:00 AM »
Tommy Paul:

I can appreciate the members comments.There is no question that the speed and firmness of the greens makes the course play several shots tougher.

As I said in my original post,it is a stern test of golf,that requires precise shots to score well.Is it unfair? No,not at all.Does the maintainence meld compliment the architecture? You bet it does! Is the membership interested in maximizing the design features through a complimentary maintainence meld? Maybe not.It would depend on their definition of fun.In my opinion,its perfect the way it is.

Soaking the golf course and slowing the greens down would make the course 6 to 8 shots easier for the scratch player,would that mean that the 100 shooter would shoot 95? Maybe not.

Go play it Tom,maybe with the member you talked with,perhaps you can educate him

redanman (small r)

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2001, 06:56:00 AM »
That's why I miss my 9mm's so much!   Waaaaaaah!  

TEPaul

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2001, 09:07:00 AM »
Ed:

Thanks for the info! In that case when I go up there I'll work extra hard at trying to convince him about what he may not be seeing and what he's missing.

There just ain't nothing like the ideal "maintenance meld"! I've really only seen it 4-5 times in my life. I saw it this year at Royal County Down and I saw it later at Oakmont! Sure it was harder to score and it was way more intense but it was a real blast!

M.W._Burrows

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2001, 03:19:00 PM »
Tom,
I know exactly who you are speaking about and I discuss the conditioning frequently.  He came up to me and introduced himself to me as a friend of yours at a club dinner function.  He's a great guy and I always tell him to bring you out here.

His major complaint is that the course is far to firm.  He feels the greens are too firm for higher handicappers to hold them and often the greens are quicker than he likes.   I'll admit that the greens are kept at a pretty fast pace there but disagree with the place being too firm.  

Once you play the course again you'll see that for it to play properly it needs to remain firm.  It's a true bump and run course.  If it were wet it would be a boring target golf course.  Strategy would be lost.  Myopia is a terrific place because it forces you to think, really think, on nearly every approach shot and many tee shots.  I know a few people who simply leave their drivers in their cars because they only get them in trouble and they don't want to give themselves that option to "go for it" out on the course.  Local knowledge is key there.  More than most places one will play.  There are two par fours that are completely drivable but you could also easily mark an eight.

Bottom line is it's a short course (6500 from the absolute tips).  Therefore, somewhere along the line people thought that in order for a short course to keep its integrity it needed to play tight and penal.  Hence, narrow fairways and abundance of fescue/little bluestem roughs.  This takes most of the terrific, diabolically deep fairway bunkers out of play and causes some long rounds looking for balls.  

I think it would play nearly as difficult but loads more fun for the higher and lower handicappers if the fairways were to be expanded out to their original widths (to the fairway bunkers like Royal County Down) and remain as firm.  This would be possible due to Leeds bunker placements (which he was noted for).  The bunkers are more spread out for the shorter hitters and tighter for the longball hitters.  Right now the landing areas are about 20 yards wide.  Often, when one hits the fairway the balls simply rolls into the maintained rough.  With wider fairways the tall rough would be pushed further out of play and balls would hit and run into the wonderful fairway bunkers.

Ahh, a return to strategy.  

Come play this fall, I guarantee you'll enjoy it.  

Ed, W.B., Chip,
Thanks for the kind words.  Working there is a true labor of love.

TEPaul

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2001, 06:51:00 PM »
M.W.

I know you know who the fellow is I'm talking about. Don't worry he won't be hard to convince what an ideal "maintenance meld" is all about. At the very least he's sort of a traditionalist about many things and that's a good start!

ed_getka

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2001, 01:41:00 AM »
M.W.
I am volunteering at Bethpage in June. Is it possible to come up and take a look around with you? I am relatively new to this site, but from all that has been said about this course I am very curious to see what everyone is so taken with.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

M.W._Burrows

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2001, 02:38:00 PM »
Ed,
I would love to have you or anyone else from the treehouse up for a tour of Myopia.  It's a great place that anyone who has any respect for the history of golf in this country should see.  Unfortunately it's very difficult to get people on to play there.

One problem will be that I am currently an Assistant Golf Course Superintendent at Myopia and am actively looking to obtain a Head Superintendent position.  Therefore, I don't intend (hope not)to be there next June.  

So, if anyone plans to be up this way soon let me know and maybe we can set something up.  

ed_getka

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2001, 06:37:00 PM »
M.W.
Thanks for the offer and I'll see if I can make it out there before June. I'll e-mail you if I can arrange something.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back