News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

M.W._Burrows

"Redan" at The Country Club at Brookline
« on: October 24, 2001, 02:58:00 PM »
Does anyone have any idea why the regular 12th at The Country Club is called "Redan"?  Tom MacWood, anyone?

Charles_P.

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2001, 03:03:00 PM »
Yes.  The holes are:
1. Polo Field
2. Cottage
3. Pond
4. Hospital
5. Newton
6. Bakers
7. Plateau
8. Corner
9. Paddock
10. Maiden
11. Himalayas
12. Redan
13. Stockton
14. Quarry
15. Liverpool
16. Clyde
17. Elbow
18. Home

Charles_P.

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2001, 03:04:00 PM »
I've got to read more carefully!  I thought you asked "IF" not "WHY."  Well, hopefully someone will find the hole names useful...

Ed_Baker

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2001, 05:06:00 PM »
Goddammit Matthew,

Those questions simply aren't asked for Chriiiisakes.Now you definitely won't get Dads hushpuppies or school tie. Go directly back to Myopia and put one hand in the chipper!

Churlish,churlish boy.

I dunno Matt, I have been wondering about that for a long time,but never had the pouch to ask it.As "Nancy" says,"Good on you!"

Streamy Conciousness

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2001, 07:00:00 PM »
From the Polo Field the Cottage was
across the Pond, tiny compared to the Hospital in Newton. The Bakers climbed the Plateau and in the Corner of the Paddock, the Maiden dreamt of the Himalayas. The Redan was  to Stockton, what the Quarry was to Liverpool. Clyde bent his elbow and talked of Home.

kilfara

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2001, 12:16:00 AM »
M.W.,

I can't tell you why it's called that, because the hole most certainly isn't a Redan - it's a drop-shot par 3 (which doesn't form part of the Open course; even though it's a great hole in its own right, it gets cut from play as the players walk from the par-5 ninth to the par-4 10th, aka the 11th and 13th holes of the proper course). I suppose the green sorta has the contours of a Redan green, even if it's much smaller and isn't setup for any sort of run-up approach like a Redan should encourage - though in truth I have seen punched 6- and 7-irons behave as though they were on a mission to discover the true meaning of the name.  

Cheers,
Darren

kilfara

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2001, 12:17:00 AM »
Oh, and "Stream of Consciousness", why don't you just come out of the closet and post as "BarnyF" like you have been for so long?  

ed_getka

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2001, 01:08:00 AM »
I don't have any info re: Redan at TCC. I am curious because it seems strange to address someone by their initials when posting. Do people call you M.W.?
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2001, 05:01:00 AM »
That's a tougher question than why #8 at Beechtree is called "The Road Hole".  Does it resemble #17 at TOC?  Not in the least.  Why the name?  It's next to the road, just like #17 at TOC.  There's also an "Eden" hole (#13).

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2001, 05:03:00 AM »
M.W.,
   You have an eerily similar name as my dad.  He's Matthew Burroughs, and you're Matthew Burrows.    Oh, and my middle name is Matthew.

Willie_Dow

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2001, 05:06:00 AM »
H.W. Wind writes of "the Redan-type green of the 140 yard tenth", in his THE SHOTS HEARD ROUND THE WORLD, THE STORY OF AMERICAN GOLF, match between Ray, Ouimet, & Vardon.
Could this be a hangover from the changes to the original routing?
I believe the present 12th is a hole rebuilt in the 50's.

T_MacWood

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2001, 05:18:00 AM »
MW
I have no idea, Willie's explanation makes a lot of sense.

TEPaul

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2001, 05:42:00 AM »
Sounds to me like WillieD might have it! TCC sounds like a fascinating golf course to me--talk about courses within a course or however they have come to reconfigure the place over time and/or for certain situations and occassions.

CharlesP should recommend then that #12 TCC just be renamed from "Redan" to "Once Redan" and just have them leave it at that!

SPDB

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2001, 05:43:00 AM »
There was some conversation about this very topic on a previous post (i think it was under the topic "Newsflash: Rees Jones Designed the 4th at TCC," or something to that effect.

The hole is not a redan at all, and so the name is entirely misleading. Why it was so named is a mystery. But as Darren says, it is a drop shot 1 shotter. The green behaves more like an island, in that it drops on either side. The putting surface cants back towards the player (i believe).

Willie_Dow

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2001, 06:52:00 AM »
What happened here?  The original postings have been cropped.
We were trying to establish whether the original par 3, be it #12 or #10, as described by H.W. Wind in his "Shots Heard Round the World" in the book "The Story of American Golf": Wind wrote: "the Redan-type green of the 140 yard tenth" in the match between Ray, Vardon and Ouimet.
I asked if this could be a hangover from the changes to the original routing?  I think Ed Baker suggested that Cornish made changes in the late 50's or 60's, but it is still an open question.

TEPaul

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2001, 07:52:00 PM »
WillieD:

Noone knows what happened a few days ago--not even Ran, but a bunch of posts on a bunch of topics got lost and deleted. Although I don't know who was responsible, I'm inclined to add it onto the whole laundry list of reasons we ought to get Osama--and the sooner the better!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back