News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Saint Louis CC course profile is posted
« on: November 01, 2001, 05:50:00 AM »
These are exciting times for SLCC.

Their membership has become more and more aware of what a gem of a course they have and of what it means to possess a Macdonald/Raynor course.

The board is getting set to vote this winter on a Master Plan prepared by Brian Silva that will only further accentuate all of the favorite  Macdonald/Raynor features with which this course is so heavily imbued.

The rolling topography looked excellent from the first time that I saw bits and pieces of it with Tom Egan driving to the clubhouse in 1986, and sure enough, it was ideal.

Once even just 60-70% of the Master Plan is completed, this course will stand favorable comparisons with Raynor's solo inland efforts at Camargo and Shoreacres.

Cheers,

BillV

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2001, 06:01:00 AM »
Got to love that 8th greensite.  Are the trees on the right of that hole on a boundary or can they go?

Also the four trees in the "snakes' picture have to go, as a start.

St Louis here we all come, look out......  Exciting time is right.

herrstein

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2001, 06:51:00 AM »
It's great to see this gem reviewed on this site. It is one of my favorites- it has the "frayed khaki" thing down to a tee. The potential of this place, with its contours and routing, is awesome.
The drama and scale of some of the bunkering there shows some of the Macdonald influence that some "straight" Raynor courses do not show.
Thanks for posting the picture of the front bunker on the 18th- I have often referred to this as a "sahara" bunker, since it is (in my understanding) in the position of that bunker at the 17th Prestwick.

T_MacWood

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2001, 07:45:00 PM »
Ran
Nice job. I agree with your assessment in comprison to Camargo and Shoreacres, in fact in my mind the course is an interesting cross between the two.

Ben Cowan-Dewar

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2001, 08:16:00 AM »
Great write-up, I was wondering how the short seventh compared to the Bad Baby at Jasper, the green complexes look very similar.

TEPaul

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2001, 08:36:00 AM »
herrstein:

I like that "frayed khaki" remark or yours. It actually takes a lot of thought to get those "frays" just the way they should be!! And I'm not talking about just the golf course. But if it's the golf course you have to be careful who you bring into the club because they might say; "Jesus Christ, what's going on around here, this course is "frayed" and this is 2001 and we have to get up to the times and up to speed around here!"

If that happens you're forced to reinstitute an exit policy just as obscure as your entrance policy!

Ran Morrissett

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2001, 09:12:00 AM »
Doug,

I agree re: the Sahara bunker - no doubt about it.

Also, as you say, SLCC is a timely reminder that Raynor's solo work never achieved the same artistic flair/variety as his work did with Macdonald.

Too bad Macdonald wasn't there at Fishers - if he was, I reckon it might have legitimately rivaled Cypress Point on all levels - from design to beauty to enjoyment.

Ted_Sturges

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2001, 11:46:00 AM »
Ran,

Great write up!  Having never been there, it is hard to say, but the photos look more like Fox Chapel than Camargo or Shoreacres.  Has anyone been to St. Louis CC and Fox Chapel?  Care to comment on the similarities between the two?

TS

Paul Richards

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2001, 12:20:00 PM »
Ran:

Was lucky enough to play St. Louis CC this
spring.  What a treat!  Except for a bit
of tree overgrowth, I really felt like I was
stepping back in time.  

St. Louis CC is a wonderful gem and I would
encourage the membership to implement their
Master Plan because the course is truly a
beauty!

"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Paul Richards

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2001, 01:10:00 PM »
Ran:

Just finished reading through your write-up and it brought back wonderful memories of SLCC.  Great job!

"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back